Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 8 installs Dual boot. I like it.  (Read 6600 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Windows 8 installs Dual boot. I like it.
« on: August 21, 2013, 01:06:05 PM »
Dual boot windows seven and windows eight trial. Works good!

I just went down to MSN and got a free copy of windows a enterprise trial that is good for the next 90 days.  Of course, it cannot be updated or extended . The idea is to give myself three months to decide if I really want windows eight. I had to use my MSN account. To my surprise, I'm thinking I do want Windows 8, maybe even buy it. it.  And no, I am not a big Microsoft fan.  In fact, I think Microsoft badly treated me  with their aggressive  business practices.  But that is not the purpose of this post.  All I can say is windows eight works good and the install was clean right from the start.  All I had to do was to make sure  at the proper BIOS settings to boot from the DVD that was created by the program I downloaded.
What really surprised me is somehow, someway it picked up a program I had in Windows XP and saved it for me.  Let me explain.  The partition I use for the windows eight install was already occupied by Windows XP, and there was a program in windows XP I  like to run in windows seven.  The strange thing is after installing windows eight on top of that windows XP, the program was still there.  I'm not sure exactly what happened.  But apparently windows a just allowed  windows XP  files to stay there.  Well, since it's only a trial operation, I guess that is to be expected.  The implication is that I could somehow reverse the process and go back to using the windows XP.  But I'm not going to worry about that, in fact the windows XP had stopped functioning properly anyway.  But it's just funny that somehow it left a program that I actually use inside of windows seven.  Don't ask, it is something that somebody else did so I wanted to do it too cuz I liked it.  In the end, I'm impressed.  It also asked for my e-mail address and hooked me into windows live, I guess.  By itself it did manage to find my avatar and posted  it on my desktop.  Not sure how did that.  But anyhow, I was impressed about how smooth and easy the windows eight installation went on my dell optiplex dx  520.  Just want everyone to know, I like windows eight.  :D

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Windows 8 installs Dual boot. I like it.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 07:44:36 PM »
What program ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 07:54:53 PM »
You had to ask. Free Cell.  ;D  You can call it from Windows 7. It is system32 on Windows XP. I don't like the way the Windows 7 version looks. So I found taht somebody else had found you can run it from Windows 7 without install. Just the shortcut.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 08:11:16 AM »
So, you old geekster, you just instinctively knew you had to use Windows 8's Charms bar to get to the Shutdown command, right?  And right off the bat, you just had a feel for Windows 8 and you just opened and closed Windows 8 apps with ease and found the Desktop right away and effortlessly moved back and forth between the Windows 8 Start screen and the Desktop.  Is that right?   ;)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 10:20:11 PM »
Yes, but I had already read here that you have to look for the power off.
So that took about twenty seconds the first time.l it was well within my short attention span.  ;)
Also  liked the way it did a dual boot for windows 7 and Windows 8. Very elegant.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 10:34:02 PM »
So, you old geekster, you just instinctively knew you had to use Windows 8's Charms bar to get to the Shutdown command, right?  And right off the bat, you just had a feel for Windows 8 and you just opened and closed Windows 8 apps with ease and found the Desktop right away and effortlessly moved back and forth between the Windows 8 Start screen and the Desktop.  Is that right?   ;)

An analogous statement could be made for Windows 95 as compared to windows 3.1 eg.

You just instinctively knew you had to press a button labelled "Start" to get to the shutdown command, right? And right off the bat, you just had a feel for the Windows 95 Taskbar and you opened and closed Windows 95 Apps with ease and found the Start Menu easier to navigate than the Program Manager and effortlessly switched between applications using taskbar buttons rather than desktop icons, is that right?

FWIW though I found the desktop pretty easily. I pressed escape. See, I use the logic that the Start Screen has replaced the start menu. it did not replace the Desktop. How do you close an Open Start Menu? You press escape.

Also, in my personal use case, I use Start->Search for EVERYTHING. This isn't limited to win8 of course. Therefore some of what you addressed to geek isn't even necessary- for example, you can type "shutdown" into search. The item it finds is labelled "Turn off your PC" which seems pretty clear in what it does. No need for charms there.

Based on some of my co-workers who installed classic Shell and their program-management preferences, I've come to conclude that there really is something most who dislike Win8 have in common.

That is the All Program Menu. That is, people that use Start->All Programs to launch applications. Since the Start Screen rearranges the heirarchal content into tiles, people that used to drill down through the Start Menu may be disillusioned.

However, what those people fail to realize is that the All Programs menu has been effectively deprecated. Windows Vista moved the All Programs Menu so that it appeared within the main Start Menu, rather than filling the screen. The fact that you could Search through them with the Search bar more than made up for this- It's a rare instance where a person is going to meander through their start menu "just browsing"; usually you are going to start an application and know what you want.

I know I personally find using XP and Earlier mildly frustrating; I lost count of the number of times I pressed the Windows key and started typing a entry to search for before realizing that XP didn't have that feature.

Than the fact that I had to drill down through several levels to get and find the Application I wanted to launch simply solidified how massive the productivity boost from the Search bar was.

The reason I surmise that the people who have issues with Windows 8's Start Screen might be adapted to using the All Programs menu is that the Start Screen is semantically the same as the Win7 and Windows Vista Start menu when it comes to Search.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 10:52:05 PM »
Nice post, BC.
As for me, fi I have something I want to do often I make a shortcut and put in on the desktop. Better yet, I make a folder and put the shortcuts there. Because I snake them, I know what they are. And if I forget, I look at my notes. By the way., where are the sticky notes in Windows 8?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 11:48:57 PM »
Nice post, BC.
As for me, fi I have something I want to do often I make a shortcut and put in on the desktop. Better yet, I make a folder and put the shortcuts there. Because I snake them, I know what they are. And if I forget, I look at my notes. By the way., where are the sticky notes in Windows 8?

It's still there. Start->Search "Sticky"

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.