Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CAN'T RUN THE FOLLOWING SERVICES: Computer Browser & Net Login  (Read 18694 times)

Video Gamkie

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar

Dear Computer Hope Forum,

I have Windows 8 64 bit edition desktop and I can't start the following services: Computer Browser & Net Login. Everytime I try to start the Computer Browser service, it starts and stops. The Net Login service will not start at all. Please reply to let me know what I can do to solve my problem?

Yours Truly,
                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Video Gamkie

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: CAN'T RUN THE FOLLOWING SERVICES: Computer Browser & Net Login
    « Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 08:09:45 PM »
    What protection apps do you have and when's the last time you updated them and ran the scans ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Video Gamkie

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 08:27:25 PM »
      Dear Patio,

After looking at my list of apps screen, the only protection app that I see is the Norton 360 and it's updated periodically.

Yours Truly,
                                                                                                                                                  John B Turner, III

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 09:37:29 AM »
      Have you scanned with it yet ? ?

Video Gamkie

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 01:46:55 PM »
        Dear Patio,

I scanned my PC with Norton 360 like 2 weeks ago.

Yours Truly,
                                                                 JT3,

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 01:54:20 PM »
        Try disabling Norton temporarily and see if you can launch the Services.
        Also check to see if the Server Service is enabled...

Video Gamkie

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 08:01:58 AM »
          Dear Patio,

I disabled my Firewall and even disabled my Antivirus Auto-Protect, and I'm still getting the same previous results (computer browser service starts and stops & netlogon service can't be enabled at all). However, the Server service runs.

I guess should have told you more before, but the reason that I'm serious about these two services is because I bought a download version of some music software from the propellerhead website, and to run the authorization for the software, which comes on propellerhead's website page, propellerhead thinks that I have to get the computer browser & netlogon service to run on my desktop so that I can use their authorization.

Please let me know if you might need more information about my desktop computer that may help you in solving my problem.

Yours Truly,
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Video Gamkie,

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 01:36:23 PM »
          Are there any error messages such as 1075 or such when it happens ? ?
          You may want to check Event Viewer for more info as to whats hanging them...

Video Gamkie

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 10:52:44 AM »
            Dear Patio,

After going to the my event viewer, I only see an error for NETLOGON and not for the COMPUTER BROWSER.  I don't see the 1075 error message. I'm attaching the screen shots from my event viewer. These screen shots will only with have information about the NETLOGON. Let me know if you want me to send the screen shots, if needed, for the other errors.

Yours Truly,
                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Video Gamkie

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]

Video Gamkie

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 12:31:57 PM »
              Dear Patio,

I just looked up some information about configuring Windows 8 as a domain instead workgroup, and I got some bad news. The only way that I can configure my desktop as a domain is to upgrade win 8 home ed to the Pro or Enterprise edition. Please tell me this isn't true. It's bad news because I might to use more money for an ugrade of Windows 8. Is there any way around this, Patio. I'm attaching the situation.

Yours Truly,
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Video Gamkie,

Video Gamkie

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 12:59:31 PM »
                I think Win 8 Pro is like $40, so it may not be too much bad news. That's not that expensive, lol!

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                « Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 11:52:48 PM »
                The Version info is true...so you have to decide for yourself if that's worth it.

Video Gamkie

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2013, 05:32:27 PM »
                  Dear Patio,

I went ahead and purchased Win 8 Pro ugrade, and now I need to know how I can configure my desktop as a domain instead of a workgroup.
                  I've been getting errors when I try the domain selection. I read online that I'm suppose to be able to find my domain name by using run and typing cmd and then ipconfig/all.

I've attached screenshots that may be helpful to you to help me with my computer problem.

Yours Truly,
                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Video Gamkie,

soybean

Genius
                  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
                  • Computer: Specs
                  • Experience: Experienced
                  « Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 08:51:28 AM »
                  Just for the info, can you state your networking objectives?  I'm wondering why you really needed the Win 8 Pro upgrade.  Is this a home network, or business?

Video Gamkie

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 09:50:47 AM »
                    Dear Soybean,

I'm not a business. I'm a home network.

I read that the only way that I could get the Computer Browser and Netlogon service working on my desktop was to configure my computer as a domain not a homegroup, and Win 8 home wouldn't allow one to configure as a domain. Only Win 8 Pro would allow one to configure as a domain. Of course, if there was a way to get the Computer Browser and Netlogon services to work without purchasing Win 8 Pro, I would have done that. 

Propellerhead, a music production website, told me that my network setup is possibly preventing me from connecting to an authorization software on their website. Propellerhead  told me to see if could get the Computer Browser and Netlogon services to work properly. I stated in my earlier messages what the two services were doing when I tried enabling them.

Yours Truly,
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Video Gamkie,

patio

• Genius
                    • Maud' Dib
                      • Yes
                    « Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 11:48:00 AM »
                    Personally i would think that's alot of grief just to authenticate the PropellerHead software...
                    My buddy runs it along with Guitar Port and 3 other mixing apps...

Call them and have them issue you an authentic activation # for the paid software.

soybean

Genius
                    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
                    • Computer: Specs
                    • Experience: Experienced
                    « Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 12:57:00 PM »
                    Propellerhead, a music production website, told me that my network setup is possibly preventing me from connecting to an authorization software on their website. Propellerhead  told me to see if could get the Computer Browser and Netlogon services to work properly. I stated in my earlier messages what the two services were doing when I tried enabling them.
                    ... authorization to do what?   Is it something more than downloading music?  I see they have a support forum at https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3.  Have you tried using it? 

Edit: I did not see patio's last post before I posted.

Video Gamkie

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 04:26:59 PM »
                      Dear Patio and Soybean,

It's an activation for an upgrade of Reason 4.0. The upgrade is a downloadable version Reason 7.0. I have Reason 7.0 demo on my desktop and everytime I run the demo, I'm directed to three options (Run in demo mode, Run with Internet verification or Register and authorize).

I always choose Register and authorize, which directs to Propellerhead's log-in screen and instructs me to authorize the upgrade (Reason 7.0) which I always failed. It says no Authorization software found on the screen. However, when I choose Run with Internet verification, I get the following error: Log-in failed due to network error-------   The authorization server failed to respond. This indicates a problem with your Internet connection. Please verify that your Internet connection works correctly and then try again.

I will call Propellerhead to see if it's possible to issue me an authorization for my software, and I'll see if I can get some help from the forum.

Yours Truly,
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Video Gamkie,