Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Converting old CamCorder Tapes to editable files on windows  (Read 4584 times)

Necro

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Converting old CamCorder Tapes to editable files on windows
    « on: August 26, 2013, 01:51:16 PM »
    Before I say anything, the following post describes my goal (the title), its problems and the methods with i which i tried to achieve. This did not result in utter failure, but it also didn't end into something very successful. Ill try to document every step of my procedure as accurately as possible and will provide links of pictures that could help with understanding the situation. Thx :D

K, so my dad has this really old Video Camera Recorder (Sony) called HandycamVision CCD-TRV69E (for reference). So from when me and my siblings were little till when he got a much more modern digital recorder he filmed a bunch of stuff on his machine which recorded it on TAPES.
    So now we got all these tapes (bout 20) each with i think 1 hr length of recordings each.
    My father now wants to digitalize all these tapes. What he does: pulls out another old machine; an SEG DVCR 600 able to transcribe data on said tapes to a re-writable disc.
    (btw here is a pic of both the manuals for the two devices: )
    Seems easy enough; you just simply plug in the recorder to the DVCR play the tape and press record on the DVCR which basically records your recording onto the CD.
    K. Now it gets a little strange. My dad now gives me the CD's and asks me to copy them onto the computer. OK put the CD in and open the file, two options pop up
    1. Files currently on disc
        VIDEO_RM
    2. Files waiting to be written on disc
        VIDEO_TS
    k now i don't know why, but under the first option there are just a bunch of unrecognizable files (which is strange cuz why wouldn't the video files "currently" be on the disc?). Under the second one, this pops up
    http://i.imgur.com/PYaOa9O.png

Alright so two things you might notice right away
    1. There are five video files instead of one (i previously said each tape was 1 hour long)
    2. The video format is VOB (never heard or seen of it before, figured it was some old format)

Alright so I go through this process a few times, and every single time i get the same result: 1 hour tape translates into 5 VOB files. So this isn't even the real strange part, but before I talk about that I'm just gonna say that after converting these files to a more accessible format (using an external program) i found out each one of the bigger files (1 GB) corresponded to about 14:30 min of video and the smaller ones to about 5 min (give or take).

Alright so now the strange part:
    Before i converted any of these files to a format I was familiar with i tried seeing what opening the VOB ones would do
    Very strangely, every single one i clicked (even the smaller file), even though they all corresponded to different segments of the tape, showed this screen
    http://i.imgur.com/igQnETv.png
    Don't ask me why or how cuz i have no idea how this is possible, especially cuz i don't know where the 5th video thumbnail is.
    alright so after clicking on every thumbnail i noticed
    1. they are all varying lengths (different for every thumbnail on every CD)
    2. the thumbnails correspond to different filming sessions; not like based on an hourly basis but on an unknown amount of time (for example the last clip is all about our trip to Peru, the second one is centered around Christmas, and so on and so forth)

Now being that part of my goal is to be able to edit these files i need to have them available and compatible to put in a program and this format does not work.
    So i did a little search on Google "convert VOB into AVI" and oh! how convenient a small little program going exactly by that name
    (here's a pic of the interface of the program: http://i.imgur.com/ZCvLmC3.png)
    I download it run it and convert a couple CD's worth of files. In this case; the outcome is (like i said earlier) 5 files with a respectable length of 14:30 min and 5 min just abouts. (unlike how in that strange menu page each thumbnail corresponded to whole segments of film in a certain amount of time meaning that here after 14:30 min it would just cut and you had to move to the next file)
    So i say to myself well that's not too bad, but i notice something that is: quality drop is enormous!
    here's and example of 3 "big" files and one small one
    http://i.imgur.com/dbmhC0X.png
    you'll notice the difference of size (almost a fourth of the original!)
    I thought it was the AVI format i had selected (mp4) and/or the settings (on the right side(see pic http://i.imgur.com/ZCvLmC3.png)) but found it wasn't the case after trying several different formats (same result, unfamiliar with most of the other formats and settings) with no avail.

So here i am trying to figure out what to do. I've found programs don't tend to like mp4 format but i don't wanna reconvert everything if i can avoid it. I've also found that most of the time the sound is off but I'm sure that can easily be corrected through editing which i haven't really dedicated any time to

So my question now is: is there anything I did wrong or need to do different, and what are your suggestions?

Thank you for your time

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    Re: Converting old CamCorder Tapes to editable files on windows
    « Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 05:12:20 PM »
    This is the right place for help.
    Two important things to know.
    A. Most DVD players expect the files to be in a format that is used for DVDs, but not a piratical format for use on a computer. The files a re much to large and are not organized as you would expect. The VOB is hard to edit. Both the video o and audio folders may be needed for editing.

B. Movies stored on a computer for viewer and editing in a logical manner use formats such as:

Audio Video Interleave or AVI (.avi) Most universal format.

Flash Video (.flv)  This format is also popular, especially after the introduction of flash video players

MP4 (.mp4) The MP4 format is commonly used to store audio and video

QuickTime (.mov)  Used by by both  Apple and Window computers

Windows Media Video (.wmv)This Microsoft developed video format is another of the common formats used on the internet. This format is designed for Windows .

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/2852877

You can convert VOB to other formats..
    If it is too much work, you may wish to start over.

Many computer users have found that you might  have Video in two or more formats. One for creation of a DVD, another for showing over the internet and possibility another for use on a Android tablet or phone.

Some video editor programs have tutorials the help explain the Babylon of videos formats in common use today and yesterday.
    A fair comparison of some popular video software.
    http://lifehacker.com/5864841/five-best-video-editors
    Also, you can Google "Free Video Editors" if you just want to expand you knowledge without investing money.  :)

Necro

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 04:01:09 AM »
      i'm familiar with a couple editors such as virtualdub but the problem i was having with these was that the format wasn't really compatible for some reason

Necro

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 09:30:53 AM »
        This is the right place for help.
        Two important things to know.
        A. Most DVD players expect the files to be in a format that is used for DVDs, but not a piratical format for use on a computer. The files a re much to large and are not organized as you would expect. The VOB is hard to edit. Both the video o and audio folders may be needed for editing.

B. Movies stored on a computer for viewer and editing in a logical manner use formats such as:

Audio Video Interleave or AVI (.avi) Most universal format.

Flash Video (.flv)  This format is also popular, especially after the introduction of flash video players

MP4 (.mp4) The MP4 format is commonly used to store audio and video

QuickTime (.mov)  Used by by both  Apple and Window computers

Windows Media Video (.wmv)This Microsoft developed video format is another of the common formats used on the internet. This format is designed for Windows .

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/2852877

You can convert VOB to other formats..
        If it is too much work, you may wish to start over.

Many computer users have found that you might  have Video in two or more formats. One for creation of a DVD, another for showing over the internet and possibility another for use on a Android tablet or phone.

Some video editor programs have tutorials the help explain the Babylon of videos formats in common use today and yesterday.
        A fair comparison of some popular video software.
        http://lifehacker.com/5864841/five-best-video-editors
        Also, you can Google "Free Video Editors" if you just want to expand you knowledge without investing money.  :)
        i found this thread for how to deal with this sort of situation, but im kind of confused as with what i have to do, got a clue?

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/298781-True-or-False-It-is-possible-to-convert-a-VOB-to-an-AVI-w-NO-quality-loss

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 11:56:16 AM »
        OK. I will try again.
        The VOB files and the associated directory structure is for a DVD.
        Any attempt to edit these results in frustration, sunless your are very dedicated in your  pursuits.

In this context, I use the term 'quality' to mean   any of the preferred high quality formats used by video editors.

Instead, you use a DVD ripper to create high quality files for the video editor. After that, you edit the quality files. Last step is burn a blank DVD with a  program that creates a DVD from the quality files.

Put another way, we must deal with:
        A. Delivery formats for devices such as DVD players
        B. Editing formats  for preparation of a video presentation

This is a reference:
        http://blogs.telestream.net/screenflow/2012/04/save-yourself-frustration-use-editing-formats-when-editing/
        Editing formats vs. delivery formats.

Sorry for the confusion, but don't blame me. I am just the messenger of bad news. The industry leaders did not intend the DVD to be something you can easily edit, as if it wee just a VHS tape. The DVD data structure is peculiar .

Here are some common Intra-frame formats that are good for editing:
        ( file sizes can be very large, though)
            ProRes
            DV
            M-JPEG
            JPEG2000
            Animation
            x264 lossless mode

Please come back here if you need mope info.  Some of this stuff gets very deep, but there are people here to help make if easier.

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 01:49:42 PM »
        Assuming you are using RCA (Yellow, White and Red) from the camera end, this product would suit you well

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815260016

as long as your computer's specs are high enough, this allows you to capture directly to the computer itself, and directly edit then burn to DVD.

Specs required for use:

System Requirements
        Processor
        Pentium-IV 1.6GHz or higher (recommended)
        Graphics Card
        Graphics Card (Must support DirectX 9.0c)
        Memory
        256 MB RAM of system memory or above (recommended)
        Available Slot
        One available USB port (preferably USB2.0)
        Operating Systems Supported
        Microsoft Windows XP/ Windows Vista/Apple Mac
        Others
        Sound Card (AC97 compatible sound card) [100% of cards in the last 10 years support it]
        1GB Free HD Space
        CD-ROM Drive (For software installation)

I would also like to point this out under features:
        Capture Video Source from VHS, V8, Hi8, etc

Necro

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 02:00:08 PM »
          alright thx guys
          btw i have been using VOB2MPEG to extract the VOB and has been working as a charm of late, I think (hope) there shouldnt be too many problems from this point on

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 02:09:02 PM »
          A current version of the program OP mentions is on softpedia.com
          http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Encoders-Converter-DIVX-Related/VOB2MPG.shtml
          A very simple, easy to use, utility to convert the vobs files found in DVD folders (VIDEO_TS) into normal mpegs

funguy11

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 03:50:05 PM »
            They sell capture devices simply to do such a job. Once you get one you can hook your camera up to it with the red/yellow/white RCA jacks and play the videos right on the camera for capture.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            « Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 06:02:57 PM »
            They sell capture devices simply to do such a job. Once you get one you can hook your camera up to it with the red/yellow/white RCA jacks and play the videos right on the camera for capture.
            Right! Then you can decide what formant you want from the start.
            However, the OP had already put the staff on DVD and apparently did not have the files save in a more piratical format.
            As for the live video capture devices, they vary a lot for quality, price and ease of use. On eBay the price may be as $10 for just a bit of hardware, or $50 for a software and software combo.

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
              • Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 04:48:22 PM »
            Right! Then you can decide what formant you want from the start.
            However, the OP had already put the staff on DVD and apparently did not have the files save in a more piratical format.
            As for the live video capture devices, they vary a lot for quality, price and ease of use. On eBay the price may be as $10 for just a bit of hardware, or $50 for a software and software combo.

Correct, which is why I researched the best one with good reviews to get the job done. Note I did not offer the cheapest one, but one I knew would work.

Converting works too, however I have found that working with DVD formats is difficult and ugly. Also note that every time you convert, you lose quality.