Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Nvidia 660m driver not working  (Read 6218 times)

Gamegene9060

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    Nvidia 660m driver not working
    « on: September 01, 2013, 09:13:13 PM »
    so here is my problem

I have a nvidia geforce 660m graphics card but no driver or it apparently. I try to have windows search for a driver and is says it has found one but tries to install it and fails. I found the driver myself online (http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/63462) and try to install that. The install fails. What is wrong and how do I fix it? I can see that there is no display adapters section under the device manager as I see in peoples youtube videos, but I do see the "unknown" one which I assume is the device. I personally don't even understand how my display still works if I have no driver and no other graphics cards.

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]

Gamegene9060

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: Nvidia 660m driver not working
      « Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 09:15:20 PM »
      I was wondering if I should risk hitting uninstall on the unknown device which I think is my gpu, I just don't want to have my screen go blank an get screwed over cause then I really wouldn't know what to do.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 05:06:24 PM »
      Core i7 supports integrated GPU, i.e. it's part of the CPU.  You might need to turn it off in BIOS.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 03:49:14 AM »
      Uninstalling the display driver won't make your screen go blank, but it also won't help as the driver isn't installed right now.  Windows supplies a basic driver to give you a display, which is why you can see your screen at the minute.
      Who's the manufacturer of your laptop?  Try the display drivers from their support site, occasionally the proper Nvidia drivers won't install on some laptops and you'll need to use the manufacturer's one even if it's outdated.
      At the risk of sounding stupid, are you positive you have a 660M?  On my gf's laptop, which has the Intel onboard and an Nvidia card, two display adapters are shown.  The Nvidia adapter stays powered down until needed (Nvidia Optimus is the name of the technology used) but is still shown in Device Manager along with the Intel, which can't be disabled.  So, on hers there were two unknown devices until I installed the Intel and Nvidia display drivers.  Yours only shows one, which I find a little odd.

Gamegene9060

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 08:55:09 PM »
        Alright then, I was not aware that my cpu could be used for gpu, so that explains that. And yes, I am sure that I have a 660M right now, I got this computer very recently and that was one of the things I made sure I had in it. Also, this is an ASUS G75. I will check with ASUS to see if they have their own drivers. Thankyou for the insight.

Gamegene9060

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 09:21:25 PM »
          Alright, I did find a section on the ASUS website for drivers and what not for different makes and models, yet I entered the pertinent details, downloaded the file and it started that install but failed same as before, they had 2 different drivers to choose from and I attempted both yet was met with the same result. Any other ideas? It is kinda a bummer to have a graphics card that just takes up space.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          « Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 11:30:23 AM »
          I would say the graphics card is defective.

Gamegene9060

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 09:14:55 PM »
            I do not see how it would have become defective, it was working perfectly fine when I bought the computer, and only started experiencing problems when I attempted to install a Nvidia product called CUDA for the purposes of GPU computing, but that did not work as intended and really messed my stuff up in ways I cannot even comprehend.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 07:27:40 AM »
            I would be inclined to give this a try, to see if there are some corrupted files left over from a previous driver install.  Check all three boxes and choose the middle left option, then try installing the drivers after rebooting.  Let us know how you go, hope it helps :)

Computer_Commando

Hacker
            « Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 12:22:45 PM »
            I do not see how it would have become defective, it was working perfectly fine when I bought the computer, and only started experiencing problems when I attempted to install a Nvidia product called CUDA for the purposes of GPU computing, but that did not work as intended and really messed my stuff up in ways I cannot even comprehend.
            You only thought this to be relevant, now?  Would have been nice if you had mentioned this in the original post.  Do as Calum suggests.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 05:38:40 PM »
            CUDA is the source of your issues...Best of Luck with this.
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "