Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Uploading new Driver-info to WiFi USB dongles  (Read 10604 times)

Harribel

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Uploading new Driver-info to WiFi USB dongles
    « on: September 05, 2013, 10:27:03 AM »
    Ok so as the Title states. Im trying to find a way to Flash my WiFi Usb dongle (i got some of them) to use with my new LG smart TV. As it only accepts its own brand of USB dongle LG AN-WF100, Im trying to find a way arond this by making my third party dongle "Act" as the one in question that the TV can recognize. So my question is:

Is it possible to make my Third-party Dongle act as the LG AN-WF100 by Changing its ID number or something making the TV recognice it?

And as a followup question:

Is it worth doing this if compability is the Issue making it unusable if done wrong?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Uploading new Driver-info to WiFi USB dongles
    « Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 01:40:51 PM »
    Simple answer is NO.
    Do you need the long answer?

Harribel

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 01:52:53 PM »
      Simple answer is NO.
      Do you need the long answer?

I already suspected the answer to be a NO. Still ive heard about flashing the usb etc etc.

As of curiosity what is the long answer?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 02:35:09 PM »
      OK. Long answer. Excuse my grimmer, typing is hard for me and I am not infrot of the Windows 7 machine, which has voice dictation.

There may be some economic advantage of the company using a special design for a wireless dongle. The make money on it. That wo0uld mean they will make strong efforts to stop you from do a 'hack' of a cheap[p USB wireless

If the above is true, forum rules prevent me from telling  how easy it might be. Nor could I tell you how to buy one made by a company that wants to rip-off the LG TV  broadcasts. But In really don't know for sure.

Here is a remark from somebody who bought a clone from a on-line store:

So I thought it must be the TV. I called LG and they gave me a repair shop in my area. They came and went through the same procedures I did -- with the same result. They gave up and decided the motherboard of the TV needed fixing. Four weeks later, they returned with a new motherboard, confident that would fix things. It didn't. The TV refused to recognize the wireless network. The repairman suggested I contact LG about a new TV. Their customer sevice was horrendous. First, they wouldn't acknowledge that I'd called them initially to get a repair. Then, they implied that I was lying about what the repair shop said. Finally, they said they don't do replacements, and that I must keep sending it back to the repair shop until it was working proper...
      That does not make any sense at all! Or was the customer trying to deceive LG?

There is a real problem with rip-coif clones. Besides being maybe illegal, the quality suffers. So can you just flash the thing yourself? Well, the clone goes for about $20 from a store  I will not name.  But from LG it is about $70. You can think about it. What is your time worth.

Also, How do you kn ow the USB can be flashed? Have you done it? Do you understand the cost difference between the programmable and ROM devices? Are you a software engineer? Are you going to clone the LG firmware?

For reasons above, I doubt you could do it. But then, I have not meet you fact-to face. Perhaps you  are a genius.

Above is a programmable wireless dongle. Do you have one? Actually, they are not very expansive, nut for the money you buy the one already made and trust it will work.

I have not put in links. That gets me in trouble. But you can find what you want at some on-line stores.

Harribel

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 04:19:00 PM »
        OK. Long answer. Excuse my grimmer, typing is hard for me and I am not infrot of the Windows 7 machine, which has voice dictation.

There may be some economic advantage of the company using a special design for a wireless dongle. The make money on it. That wo0uld mean they will make strong efforts to stop you from do a 'hack' of a cheap[p USB wireless

If the above is true, forum rules prevent me from telling  how easy it might be. Nor could I tell you how to buy one made by a company that wants to rip-off the LG TV  broadcasts. But In really don't know for sure.

Here is a remark from somebody who bought a clone from a on-line store:
        That does not make any sense at all! Or was the customer trying to deceive LG?

There is a real problem with rip-coif clones. Besides being maybe illegal, the quality suffers. So can you just flash the thing yourself? Well, the clone goes for about $20 from a store  I will not name.  But from LG it is about $70. You can think about it. What is your time worth.

Also, How do you kn ow the USB can be flashed? Have you done it? Do you understand the cost difference between the programmable and ROM devices? Are you a software engineer? Are you going to clone the LG firmware?

For reasons above, I doubt you could do it. But then, I have not meet you fact-to face. Perhaps you  are a genius.

Above is a programmable wireless dongle. Do you have one? Actually, they are not very expansive, nut for the money you buy the one already made and trust it will work.

I have not put in links. That gets me in trouble. But you can find what you want at some on-line stores.

Thank you sir. I now understand what you ment. Its sad that They actually do not let anyone just use whatever type of dongle they want. But sure that makes service better but also you must buy it seperately. Why sell a $2000 TV without the $70 Wireless dongle. Its just cheap of the company. But thanks anyways for explaining it. I guess this means hawling back to the store to buy the USB dongle for my hard earned $70 more. Thanks LG you really know how to rip of people.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 04:48:22 PM »
        All LG is doing is protecting their Brand...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "