Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I need help with an upgrade to a touch screen monitor function?  (Read 2847 times)

Rapidrob

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
I need help with an upgrade to a touch screen monitor function?
« on: September 09, 2013, 03:03:53 PM »
I hope someone here can help me out. What I have cobbled together is a CCTV system that I want to make even better.
I have a CCTV image going into a DVR. It then goes to my lap top for viewing.
 What I'd like to do is perhaps send the image to a small computer or tablet first if needed, and then to a touch screen monitor where I can annotate or circle a portion of the live image ( or frozen ) very much like you see during a sporting game. Team members movements,etc.
This system is used in the field and I'd like to keep it as portable as possible.
Is there just software I need to obtain,a pre-fab monitor that has this feature,or what are my options?
Thank you for your help as I need to find a good working answer.
Old School,and proud of it.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
Re: I need help with an upgrade to a touch screen monitor function?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 01:38:29 PM »
A way to do it with a frozen image would be a screenshot and then mspaint which with a touch screen would be able to draw on the screenshot in say a yellow paint brush to mimic what you see on football games when they show the plays on TV.

Without lots of programming, I am unaware of any software out there that is free or low cost that gives this feature to home users without the mimic of a screenshot opened in mspaint and touch screen controlling the paintbrush.

To get the screenshot you can have live video feed and press the ( Print SCRN ) button to grab a snapshot of the screen, and then create a shortcut on the desktop to mspaint and launch that and paste the screenshot to paint and then you can write on it with paintbrush with finger and a touch display.

To make it more advanced you could use a macro creator to turn a hot key on your computer, a key you might not use on a regular basis such as tilde key ( ~ ) into a capture, launch mspaint, and paste the image to paint a 1 keystroke feature.

Maybe others here have a better method, but thats all I can come up with. As far as the laptop getting the video feed from CCTV and being mobile, you would have to go with wireless transmission of video and you would be limited to range, and the cost would be expensive. Cheapest would be a camera rolling that is attached to the laptop to USB and grabbing a still of it and drawing on that such as if your out in a field and took an image of it and wanted to draw and point out where for people to go, or at a high school football practice and just recorded the  play and you want to perform an instant replay slow motion and grab a still and draw on it to point out to players what happened or what should have happened or what to do next.

*If you want to record this process too with video and audio there is Camtasia and Fraps. I own a lsingle user license of FRAPS and it works well for video recording, but it stores uncompressed video, so afterwards you have to compress it. I use virtualdub to compress it afterwards which is free. *You need lots of open HD space for fraps as for it takes little time to make 20GB video files.

Rapidrob

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: I need help with an upgrade to a touch screen monitor function?
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 03:46:09 PM »
Thank you for the "PAINT" idea. That may work if I make a hot Key. I need to mark the image quickly.
The camera is 2KM away and is wireless transmitting the live image to the receiver,to the DVR,and output into the port in my lap top or stand alone VGA monitor.
The receiver and the rest of the viewing equipment is run on a generator. The camera and transmitter are running on a battery pack I designed and is connected to a full wave inverter that is 85% efficient. I can get 8 hours out of the battery pack which is ideal.
Old School,and proud of it.