Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Orange light flashing  (Read 3750 times)

Hlljs1618

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Orange light flashing
    « on: September 10, 2013, 12:15:32 PM »
    While running a video while on line screen went blank and now all I have is a flashing light where the green on light is.  This happen a few days ago when we lost power to the house but all I did was unplug power and plug back in. How can I get my computer running again? This is a desktop

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Orange light flashing
    « Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 01:10:15 PM »
    Power supply may have been damaged.  What is the make/model of this computer to look up if there are any flash codes specific for this computer? Also if you have a spare power supply laying around that is known good, I'd swap the power supply with this error condition given that it started with a power outage.

Hlljs1618

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 03:01:25 PM »
      This is a Dell XPS 400 changed power surge but no change should I change power line from power surge to computer

Rapidrob

Greenhorn

• Yes
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 03:52:24 PM »
      A power spike can damage your UPS. just because it turns on, it does not mean it is working. Plug your computer into the wall outlet. does it work?
      There are sometimes two terminal 120 VAC strips on the back of the UPS. One is spike/surge protection the other is spike/surge and battery protection. One side can be dead. I have seen it many times in my work.
       Is your internet wired,wireless, through a router, satellite,etc? Are they working?
      Old School,and proud of it.

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 04:05:52 PM »
      I'd swap PSU (power supply) with one that is known good if this orange light blinking is the power LED that normally should be green on the computer.

kyle_engineer

Intermediate
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 01:18:44 PM »
      I'd swap PSU (power supply) with one that is known good if this orange light blinking is the power LED that normally should be green on the computer.

Dave is correct. I believe that Dell implamented that as a standard indication for PSU failure. I have had this about 15 times at work and 15 out of 15 it was a bad PSU.

By the way, to clear things up, a PSU is NOT a UPS.

PSU = Power Supply Unit
      UPS = Uninteruptable Power Supply

The PSU is the component inside you computer that transforms the 120v line to the various voltages needed by the load.

The UPS is a device that is external of the computer (between the computer and the wall plug) which protects your machine against sudden shut down due to blackouts or other power failures. (UPSs also often include a surge protection feature.)
      "Any answer is only as good as it satisfies the question." - Me

0000000100101011000 -
      010010010010000001001100010011110100110 001000000010110010100111101010101