Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer unresponsive  (Read 4519 times)

gord99

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    computer unresponsive
    « on: September 19, 2013, 06:12:20 AM »
    My HP Pavillion  Vista   is not responding or is extreemly slow.  Once on a page it hangs up there for a minute or two. This could be the same problem it had a few months ago for which I recieved help here and probably didn't properly thank Super Dave.  I put it in safe mode and it works fine there.  From there I ran Malwarebytes, adaware, ccleaner and maybe some others. None of this seemed to have any effect.  In the best of my memory it started yesterday after I ran Ad Aware as a routine thing.  Nothing was wrong at the time.  At the same time we had a large storm with a lot of lightning but I don't think there was any hit.  I have also reset and restarted the radio/modem.  As I said the computer seems to work fine in safe mode.    Task manager won't open.  I ran System resore to an earlier date.  thanks for any advice. 

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: computer unresponsive
    « Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 02:38:07 PM »
    I'd backup data and then perform a clean install. Usually when Task manager is non-functional its a viral issue though as for many disable it, however corruption can also do this. Did you create a CD or DVD Restore set for this computer to install Vista clean to it?

Also... Is this a Laptop or a Desktop and which model?   If its a desktop computer and no battery backup, the system could have been writing something important during a power dip to the hard drive and caused corruption. If its a laptop any dips in power would be non troublesome as long as the battery is good in the laptop to get you through power outages without shutting down.

gord99

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 01:41:43 AM »
      Looks like the problem has cleared.  I ran a few malware cleaner programs.  Thanks for your interest. 

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 01:06:53 PM »
      Was there malware that was on this machine that was disabling the Task Manager?

gord99

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 06:08:12 PM »
        I don't know that specifically but now task mgr. will open-however earlier today the machine had a relapse with all the same symptoms.  After several tries I got into safe mode or some related page on setup and selected 'last known good startup' or something like that.  Then it was taking forever to do get rebooted so I left it alone for a few hours.  Now it seems to be okay again. 

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 03:23:14 PM »
        Somehow i don't think your issues are resolved...
        Post more onfo on the PC and what other protection apps you have installed.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "