Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem with HP xw6400 Workstation Booting Up  (Read 7700 times)

dreamspinner3

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    Problem with HP xw6400 Workstation Booting Up
    « on: September 20, 2013, 06:36:31 AM »
    My husband has a HP xw6400 with a single Intel Xeon 5130 processor that has been having weird problems since we bought it used. The full profile for the machines specifications can be found here: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/ouIxblU14Rjj6r5FGf4BEP1

Basic Specifications: 

Operating System
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
    CPU
    Intel Xeon 5130 @ 2.00GHz: 34 °C
    Woodcrest 65nm Technology
    RAM
    8.00GB FB-DDR2 @ 332MHz (5-5-5-15)
    Motherboard
    Hewlett-Packard 0A04h (XU1 PROCESSOR): 38 °C
    Graphics
    SyncMaster (1280x1024@75Hz)
    1024MB NVIDIA GeForce 210 (ASUStek Computer Inc): 37 °C
    Hard Drives
    233GB Western Digital WDC WD2500AAJS-40VWA1 ATA Device (SATA): 34 °C
    1863GB Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164 ATA Device (SATA): 30 °C
    Optical Drives
    TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552D ATA Device
    Audio
    Turtle Beach Riviera Wave

After we bought the machine, I installed the sound card from my husband's old PC, a Turtle Beach Riviera PCI card, and a two 2TB Seagate hard drive. The machine worked fine, then once when trying to bring it out of sleep mode, the machine refused to boot & displayed the following message: HP Ethernet boot agent v 8.3.9 928 Non-fatal uncorrectable FBD error on DIMM in mother slot XMM2 M13 Err non-retry on redundant retry FDD memory alert on redundant set timeout M21 Err motherboard CRC error on FBD sync status (slightly #48) We hit F1 & the machine continued to boot into Windows 7 successfully.

After that, when trying to bring it out of sleep mode again, a red light began blinking on the front of the machine & it beeped 3 times, paused, then beeped 3 times again. We shut the machine off & powered it back on & it would boot into Windows 7 just fine.

I tried reseating the RAM memory chips day before yesterday. No error message until yesterday when we tried to bring the machine out of sleep mode again. This time, the red light on the front began blinking & the machine beeped four times, paused, then beeped four times again. We powered it down, then turned it back on & it booted into Windows 7 just fine.

Could one of the components I installed be causing the problem? I did not adjust anything in the BIOS after installing the old sound card & the new hard drive. The instructions that came with the hard drive did not say that I had to adjust anything in the BIOS.

I've been told 4 beeps means the CMOS battery is going bad, but beep codes vary depending on the motherboard, do they not? I'm really confused as to what I should do next. Should I try replacing the battery? Should I try removing the old sound card to see if that is the problem?

The prior owner of the machine said he never had any problems with it.

Thanks!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Problem with HP xw6400 Workstation Booting Up
    « Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 12:58:34 PM »
    Have you disabled the sleep/hibernation mode yet to see if that cures this? A while back there was an issue with Sleep/ Hibernation mode on some systems. I am not sure if this is one of them.

Looked at your spec link and RAM is all matched which is good, although strange that it reports:

RAM
    Memory slots
    Total memory slots: 1
    Used memory slots: 4
    Free memory slots: -3

I dont see anything wrong from browsing through the info that stands out.

I would also check the power supply voltages to make sure the 5V and 12V look good at boot or weak. Also even though the CMOS battery shouldnt be bad, you can verify that its a strong 3 volts when measuring with computer off.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 07:19:46 AM »
    Check to see if the RAM is ECC...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

dreamspinner3

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 02:35:40 PM »
      What is ECC?

dreamspinner3

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 02:37:43 PM »
        Yes, we have disable it from going into sleep/hibernation mode.  So far, no more problems have occurred.

dreamspinner3

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 04:51:07 PM »
          Since shutting off the sleep/hibernation mode, the computer has been working fine.  It boots up & shuts down properly & we are no longer getting any error messages or other issues with it.  Should it start acting up again, the next step I will take it to remove the sound card & see how it runs.  If continues to have problems, then I'll remove the secondary hard drive that I installed.

Thanks!

Kim