Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HP Pavillion Slimline USB Issues.  (Read 5057 times)

Dwayne Austin

Topic Starter

Beginner

HP Pavillion Slimline USB Issues.
    « on: September 23, 2013, 08:08:21 AM »
    I am working on an HP Pavillion slimline s5220f,  There seems to be a pile of problems with this thing, first off most of the time it hangs forever on the windows logo before it will boot up, and it takes forever to shut down. When it does decide to boot up when I  connect the printer (Canon mx452) it will recognize the printer and install the drivers and work until I shut it down then start back up the printer won't print.  It comes up printer not responding.  I can unplug the printer, reboot and plug the printer back in and it will work again.  Also Mass Storage devices will be recognized but will not install drivers most of the time will fail,  sometimes will say drivers installed ready with a green check mark but you can't open the device.  I have installed a brand new OS Win 7 Home Premium , Re installed the Chipset drivers, Tried to update the BIOS but it keeps telling me that the system is not compatible,  (I have researched this and it tells me that I probably have the most updated version of the BIOS.).  Any ideas? Could this be a faulty MOBO?  And how could I check this?  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Dwayne Austin

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: HP Pavillion Slimline USB Issues.
    « Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 09:06:36 AM »
    When you turn on the machine it should show the BIOS version.  Or show it if you go into the BIOS and look around. Never try to FLASH it unless you really have the right version.

Before blaming the motherboard, there are at least three, maybe four, pother things that might be bad. In this s context, bad is any condition that prevents the system from r working properly.
    • Bad hard drive. Bad DVD drive.
    • Bad external USB device.
    • Bad power supply.
    • Bad fan and heat  sink
    Did you verify all of the above?

Dwayne Austin

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 09:26:49 AM »
      I did a diagnostic check on the hard drive that came up good.  The DVD drive works properly as far as i can tell.. you can boot from the DVD drive and it runs DVDs with no issues, I have 5 different USB devices that work fine in all my other computers so its not that.  The power supply is new.  The old PS died, the problems were there long before the PS gave out.  2 months after the computer was purchased the owners took it back to Staples where they got it and they sent it away ... came back and they said nothing was wrong with it.   I took the heat sink and processor out, cleaned it , cleaned all old Thermal compound and applied new and the fan is working properly.  Am I missing anything ? could the DVD drive appear to be working ok but not?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      « Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 10:04:19 AM »
      Is this your computer?
      http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01859893&prodSeriesId=3999463
      Does it have a 56k modem as shown in the link?  If, yes, remove the modem card.  Do you actually use the modem?
      Are you using the onboard graphics or a separate card?

If none of this works, try unplugging the USB card reader.

Dwayne Austin

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 11:10:14 AM »
        I removed the modem card and no change..  unplugged the USB card reader and still no change.  I am using the onboard graphics card.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 11:44:44 AM »
        1.  I did a diagnostic check on the hard drive that came up good. 
        2.  The power supply is new. 
        3.  Am I missing anything ?
        4.  could the DVD drive appear to be working ok but not?
        1.  Seagate Seatools or something else?
        2.  New, as in you replaced it, or someone told you?
        3.  Measure PSU voltages with DVM.
        4.  Unplug SATA & power cables,  see if any change.

BTW, I don't see any BIOS updates at all.
        http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=4006368&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=135&prodTypeId=0&prodSeriesId=3999463

Dwayne Austin

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 12:29:45 PM »
          I did use seagate seatools and hard drive passed.

I replaced the hard drive (brand New) but I substituted one I have here that I know is good just to check it and still got the same result.

Power and sata cables unplugged to DVD drive and no change

this is where i got the bios update but it said system not compatible. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=pv-73126-1

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          « Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 01:52:21 PM »
          One site is HP Business Support, other is HP Consumer Support
          "sp43098" found nothing on Business but found something on Consumer.
          http://www8.hp.com/us/en/hp-search/search-results.html?ajaxpage=1#/page=1&/cc=us&/lang=en&/qt=sp43098

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/Bios-Update/td-p/2280145?jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0001
          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Released:  2009-07-10
          File name:  sp43098.exe [1/1, 1.63M]
          Version:  5.22
          Compatibility:  Microsoft Windows Vista, Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          BIOS service packs from HP can be installed other ways, i.e. from bootable drive, not from Windows.  If this is it exactly (HP Pavilion Slimline s5220f Desktop PC), I wouldn't risk it.  The same motherboard doesn't mean they are the same.  One has Intel GMA 3100 video, the other Nvidia GeForce G210.

Dwayne Austin

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 03:29:08 PM »
            You mean you wouldn't risk the  BIOS flash?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
            « Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 04:30:19 PM »
            You said:  "...Tried to update the BIOS but it keeps telling me that the system is not compatible..."