Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Would this Rig setup work?  (Read 4138 times)

Sean77

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Would this Rig setup work?
    « on: October 02, 2013, 06:34:06 AM »
    Would this rig setup work out?  ???
    It's not exactly my money that I'm spending, some one is being nice enough to help me upgrade my computer a little bit, so I can't really be suggested higher performance parts.. this really fills my budget to the brim.

http://www.gooeypc.com/beta/gooeygui.aspx?public_rigid=13461

I might add that I have a rosewill RD600, a 600 watt power supply. The site bugs out when I attempt to add it to the rig. I also have a basic usb 2.0 keyboard, and a 19" monitor that connects through DVI. I already have most of these parts, I'm just trying to "upgrade" a little, with the motherboard, cpu, memory, case, mouse, and hard drive.

I just want to know if all of this is compatible with each other, I've looked into the specs, and all seem to match, like the cpu to the motherboards AM3+ socket and that the motherboard supports FX cpu's. Stuff like that I checked out, but I'm calling on professionals to see if I missed anything.
    The CPU supposedly comes with the fan and heatsink and the "coolant gel".  :P

Thank you for your time!  ;D

Edit: Oh! and the video card doesn't exactly match mine. The one I have is PCIe 2.0, and it's Sapphire.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Would this Rig setup work?
    « Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 11:59:31 AM »
    The RD600 PSU isn't amazing, but it's not terrible.  I would suggest going with a better unit, though.
    Everything is compatible, yes, but I wouldn't get an MSI motherboard due to reliability, and I wouldn't get the Western Digital Black HDD either as they're usually priced higher than the competition without the performance to justify it, unless you really *really* want the 5 year warranty.
    I know you didn't ask for suggestions, but if you let us know your budget & where you're buying from, we may be able to suggest a better build without increasing the cost.

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 02:03:19 PM »
    I also agree with Callum in his points. MSI are not well known for their build quality. A recommended motherboard would be an ASUS brand board, some argue Gigabyte is good too but over all my years dealing with computers I have had the least trouble with ASUS boards .

Again agreeing with Callum the WD black is only really worth it if you are looking for the extended warranty. A WD green or WD blue would likely give you a bit more storage capacity with a very small (if any) reduction in transfer speeds. I have WD Green drives and still regularly see transfer rates of 80-100MB/s between drives.

To answer your main question however yes another +1 to this set would work together.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 05:56:13 PM »
    Not to be blunt but never..ever suggest a WD Green HDD...
    Highest failure rate in the industry.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 12:07:48 PM »
    Not to be blunt but never..ever suggest a WD Green HDD...
    Highest failure rate in the industry.

Seconded.  I avoid WD whenever possible, to be honest...real shame when they bought Hitachi and Samsung bought Seagate.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    « Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 01:23:18 PM »
    ......real shame when they (WD, sic) bought Hitachi and Samsung bought Seagate.
    Correct on the former, incorrect on the latter.
    WD acquired HGST, Seagate acquired Samsung's Hard Disk Drive business.
    http://www.hgst.com/
    http://www.seagate.com/about/newsroom/press-releases/seagate-completes-aquisition-samsungs-hdd-business-pr/

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 01:24:49 PM »
    Oops...I knew that, I got them the wrong way round.  Thanks for catching that.  And yes, by Hitachi, I meant HGST, would've been quite the achievement (and somewhat pointless) for WD to have bought all of Hitachi's many divisions!

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    « Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 01:31:01 PM »
    I didn't know about either, so had to look it up.  HGST acquired IBM disk drives sometime in the past.  Not many disk drives manufacturers anymore.  BTW, I've had better luck with WD than you.  My WD Scorpio Black, 7200rpm notebook drive (16MB cache) is almost as fast & quiet as an SSD.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 01:37:03 PM »
    Indeed, it's crazy how they've all merged and bought each other, and we're basically left with two big players, plus Toshiba on the sidelines.
    I had a WD Blue drive in about 2006 that was OK, served me well for a year or two.  When I was building day in/day out we used Seagate and a few Samsung drives, I liked the Samsung drives so I bought quite a lot back then, had one fail but it was taken out by a PSU.  The rest are still going strong.  When Seagate had some production issues, or we had trouble getting stock, I forget which...we switched to WD drives in builds and the failure rate was incredible.  We went from maybe 1 a week DOA, to 10 or 15, plus some with weird incompatibility issues.  These were the Blue drives, WD5000AAKS and AAKX when they switched over to maki9ng pointless SATA3 HDDs.  Very strange because it wasn't a well publicised thing, I had always been under the impression that there wasn't much in it in terms of reliability and that's what we saw, right up until we actually had to depend on WD.  Never bought another WD product since, but then I haven't bought another HDD since I bought all those Samsungs either, now I just have the one 2TB left in a USB3 caddy and I have SSDs for everything else.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 02:12:00 PM »
    In  no way did i intend to cast aspersions on WD as a manufacturer...
    I've had nothing but good luck with both the Caviar and Black lines of HDD's...

I simply meant to state the Green series are pure junk.

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 03:41:48 PM »
    In  no way did i intend to cast aspersions on WD as a manufacturer...
    I've had nothing but good luck with both the Caviar and Black lines of HDD's...

I simply meant to state the Green series are pure junk.

I personally have never had an issue with them. My WD Greens run practically 24/7 and have been going strong for 4+ years. I have had more issues with Seagate drives dying on me. Perhaps different countries / working environments for our drives. Best drives I have ever had. When working in a repair environment I saw many broken Seagate, Samsung, Toshiba, and Hitachi drives. We dealt solely in WD replacements and never had a return.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 05:51:38 PM »
    I'm stunned and amazed you have 4 year old Greens that still run...
    Good on you.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 04:51:12 AM »
    I personally have never had an issue with them. My WD Greens run practically 24/7 and have been going strong for 4+ years. I have had more issues with Seagate drives dying on me. Perhaps different countries / working environments for our drives. Best drives I have ever had. When working in a repair environment I saw many broken Seagate, Samsung, Toshiba, and Hitachi drives. We dealt solely in WD replacements and never had a return.

Interesting that we've had exactly opposite experiences.  Just goes to show that even with a large sample size, it's hard to draw conclusions.  I am also stunned that your Green drives are still going strong, I have seen more of those fail than any other model of WD, and I've seen every WD line fail more than any other manufacturer.

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #13 on: October 05, 2013, 03:41:11 AM »
    It is indeed extremely interesting. I would say personally I sold at least 500 drives in that time span with no returned drives. I must also say we only used WD Blue in laptop replacements with the Greens as desktop drives.

As my last off topic post in this thread I shall take pictures for you with the manuf. dates and model on them if you like and post here as proof next case cleaning time.

Perhaps NZ gets all the good Green drives?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #14 on: October 05, 2013, 06:14:57 AM »
    Perhaps NZ gets all the good Green drives?
    Perhaps so!

I'm not doubting what you're saying at all, it's just incredible how different our experiences have been.  We must've had 500 faulty drives alone in the time we used WD drives, potentially more.