Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC won't boot. CPU & GPU fan spins at hyperspeed....  (Read 18905 times)

MistaShiv

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Re: PC won't boot. CPU & GPU fan spins at hyperspeed....
    « Reply #30 on: October 12, 2013, 05:39:27 PM »
    The thing is, the battery isn't keeping the settings alive. Every time I turn the pc off, after a short period it appears that the CMOS has reset itself (and I get that pc screen coming up).

If I correct the time and date, and restart the PC straight away, it loads as normal (I'm guessing this is because there is still some charge left in the motherboard to remember the settings)

I've changed the battery so it can't be that, is it possible that the battery holder is faulty?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #31 on: October 12, 2013, 05:54:35 PM »
    1.  The thing is, the battery isn't keeping the settings alive. Every time I turn the pc off, after a short period it appears that the CMOS has reset itself (and I get that pc screen coming up).

2.  If I correct the time and date, and restart the PC straight away, it loads as normal (I'm guessing this is because there is still some charge left in the motherboard to remember the settings)

2.  I've changed the battery so it can't be that, is it possible that the battery holder is faulty?
    1.  You are doing the F10 (Save & Exit)?
    2.  No, you guess wrong.  There's always power to the motherboard  if the psu switch is on.
    3.  Are you sure the battery is good?  Some of the no-name ones are bad out of the box.  Battery holder is soldered to the motherboard, there is nothing to go bad unless you break it.  Are you installing battery + side up?

MistaShiv

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #32 on: October 12, 2013, 06:24:45 PM »
      I believe I've fixed it.

After inspecting the CMOS Battery I noticed it wasn't held in as securely as could be, so I lifted the metal contact (the one underneath the battery) up a little bit with some wire (I was careful). Also for the other contact, which is in the side of the holder, I 'wedged' a bit of cable tie to ensure that side is touching the battery as well.

After entering the correct time and date and pressing f10 to save (I mentioned that I have been doing this a couple of posts ago), I'd restart the PC and it would work fine.

And to test, I'd turn the PC off, drain any remaining power out of it (PSU switch OFF, and the front button pressed to release any remaining current) and then power it back up.

Before, it would ask me to enter the CMOS settings again, but now it doesn't, it must have remembered them, i.e the battery is functioning as it should.

I think when I took the CMOS battery out for the first time, I must have been a bit rough and bent the contacts inwards. Then when I replaced the battery, it didn't have proper contact and did not function. Hopefully my fix will last

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #33 on: October 16, 2013, 05:12:06 PM »
      Thanks for reporting back.  It's probably fixed now.