Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Repairing Win 7  (Read 6330 times)

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Repairing Win 7
    « on: October 06, 2013, 02:57:44 PM »
    Hello

My Win 7 SP1 (Home) operating system needs repairing, but the Packard Bell tower came with Windows preinstalled, so I do not have an installation CD.

I am not able to download updates automatically, or install Photoshop, or install my new Bluetooth device. Nor can I run sfc /scannow. I get the following message:

C:\Users\Steve_Owner>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

C:\Users\Steve_Owner>

I have downloaded a Win 7 64-bit ISO repair file which I have burnt to a blank DVD but I am not sure a) what it does and b) how to use it. I know Windows cannot find a programme to open it, so I opened myself with RAR software and clicked on Setup.exe. I can see this (please see attached). It tells me, after I have clicked 'Install Now' that Setup is copying temporary files, but then nothing happens - it just takes me back after a few seconds to that same screen that I have attached.

I am not sure if there is another way to repair Windows.

I think the files became corrupt a couple of weeks ago. I installed Avast! and it identified a Trojan which I removed.

Thanks for any suggestions.

High1

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Repairing Win 7
    « Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 03:40:58 PM »
    Tap F8 repeatedly on boot...select Advanced Boot Menu...from that Menu select Startup Repair...
    Do NOT interrupt it ...even if it seems to hang.
    Report back with the results...a CD is not needed for this operation.

P.S. If it won't run updates you are most likely still infected so list your total protection package other than Avast...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 03:57:23 PM »
      Hello

Thanks for your message.

I only have Avast and SuperAntiSpyware.

If I use F8 I go into the Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Last Known Configuration, etc screen. If I go to F12 I see:

SATA: PM-WDC, etc
      CD/DVD
      USB - Disk
      USB Generic
      USB Compact
      USB SM/XD
      USB MS/MS-Pro

I can't see any 'Advanced Boot Menu' item.

Thanks again.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 04:01:09 PM »
      It's at the bottom...

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 04:13:02 PM »

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 04:14:12 PM »
        If I go to F8 I am already in Advanced Boot Options. I can see Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Enable Boot Logging, Repair my Computer, etc. If I click on Repair my Computer I can see a list of Recovery Tools: Start Up Repair; System Restore, Image Recovery, etc.

Do I choose one of those?

Computer_Commando

Hacker

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 04:25:43 PM »
          I did the Start Up Repair and it tested the hard drive, I think, and a few other things. They were successful. Each item said: Error 0x0.

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 04:53:33 PM »
            What do I do now? Go through the other items?

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 05:18:12 PM »
            No...
            If the startup repair finished then re-boot the PC.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
            « Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 05:34:58 PM »
            ...My Win 7 SP1 (Home) operating system needs repairing, but the Packard Bell tower came with Windows preinstalled, so I do not have an installation CD...
            They don't include CD's/DVD's anymore.  A Windows image is located on a separate partition of the hard drive.

If I go to F8 I am already in Advanced Boot Options. I can see Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Enable Boot Logging, Repair my Computer, etc. If I click on Repair my Computer I can see a list of Recovery Tools: Start Up Repair; System Restore, Image Recovery, etc...
            If you have nothing of importance on the computer, select Image Recovery.  It will reinstall Windows to the way it was when Packard Bell shipped it.

BTW, it sounds like you may have not created the Windows DVD properly.  ISO images must be burned using iso burning software.  You won't need it if the Recovery Image is intact.  Windows Product ID is contained within the image, so no registration.

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 11:29:27 PM »
              OK, I will select Image Recovery. This will mean that I will lose all my files, folders etc, won't it? It won't just repair the PC, it will be like reinstalling Windows? Is that right?

Thanks

Computer_Commando

Hacker
              « Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 01:25:36 PM »
              OK, I will select Image Recovery. This will mean that I will lose all my files, folders etc, won't it? It won't just repair the PC, it will be like reinstalling Windows? Is that right?...
              If the Startup Repair didn't work, then Image Recovery.  You originally stated your computer needed repair.  Maybe you meant, it got a virus & now it's a big mess & won't boot at all?

Different manufacturers call it different things, but to me, Image Recovery can only mean one thing.
              Yes, you will lose all your files, folders, etc.
              Yes, like reinstalling Windows, only better, because all the required drivers are already installed.
              You have to install anything you did after you got the computer & let it do all the Windows Updates, so there will still be a lot of work to do.  If you don't keep copies of your stuff on flash drives, now you know better.  Keep multiple backups of your files.

Backup images are like making a copy of the entire hard drive.  Many of us create images, weekly or monthly, so instead of trying to fix a problem, you can just return it to a point in time when all was working.
              I use Macrium Reflect Free Edition & create the image on an external USB USB3.0 1TB hard drive.  Images are compressed, so 60GB of hard drive used creates image of 30GB & takes only 10-15 minutes to create or restore.  Macrium will also create a bootable flashdrive or CD so you can restore to existing drive or a replacement drive.

Some spyware got me recently & cleaning & purging the mess made things even worse.  Re-imaging took 15 minutes & I was back to where it was all OK a week before.

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 01:42:09 PM »
                Hello Commando

Many thanks for explaining.

I'll take a look at the software you mentioned.

In the meantime, I am burning some Packard Bell Recovery disks - they will restore the PC to factory settings - and there is an option to save applications and drivers, so that's what I'll do.

What I am surprised about is that Avast! told me about two weeks ago that it had removed a Trojan and I thought that was the end of the matter, but obviously not.

Yes, I think you're right amount the amount of work involved, but if I can have a fresh PC by this time tomorrow all will be well.

I'll let you know how things go and thanks again for your time.

High1

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 05:55:31 PM »
                  Hello

I have managed to sort it out now, thanks.

I used Packard Bell's Recovery Tool to reinstall Windows.

Thank you again to you both for your time and patience.

Blueie