Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer upgrade problem :<  (Read 26210 times)

Jasy19

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    Computer upgrade problem :<
    « on: October 08, 2013, 10:26:26 AM »
    Hi, I am a bit confused with will be best for me to get for my  PC.
    I currently have:

Motherboard: Gigabyte M68MT-S2
    Processor: AMD Bulldozer FX 8120
    8 GB Ram,
    1TB sata hard drive
    Radeon hd 7770 1gb graphics card
    etc...

I desperately need a new case and psu as things are getting too hot, and want to know what good PSU's are there that would be useful for me? I'm looking to overclock eventually and I imagine combined with the case I'm getting, I may need a high wattage one?

case:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=11-119-160&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2#scrollFullInfo

Thanks in advance.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Computer upgrade problem :<
    « Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 11:33:45 AM »
    1.  Some details of your current case & psu would be helpful.
    2.  Define:  too hot.

The Cooler Master case looks nice (it should for $120 with no psu).

Jasy19

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 05:09:26 AM »
      1.  Some details of your current case & psu would be helpful.
      2.  Define:  too hot.

The Cooler Master case looks nice (it should for $120 with no psu).

I'm not really sure myself to be honest,
      this is the exact case: http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/cases/cases/galaxy3.html

For the psu, after taking a look inside the case, I can see, 230 volts.. possibly 750 watts, ATX switching power supply,

I think it is this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CiT-750W-Black-Edition-PC-Computer-Power-Supply-PSU-ATX-750UB-/121135039088

And by too hot, when I play some demanding games with the case closed, the pc will just turn off. I checked my processor and graphics which don't seem to be the problem, and I'm almost positive it is the psu, (as it is pretty hot just touching the top of the case).

I have 2 problems maybe,
      1: Is that the PSU is blowing hot air directly onto my processor heat sink, (I want to overclock this in the future), so a bigger case will solve that problem.

2. The PSU must be crappy for heat? Looking to one that'll retain and disperse it's heat nicely, giving me plenty of power to overclock etc.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 05:21:04 AM »
      The PSU doesn't blow into the case, it takes air from inside the case and expels it out of the back.
      You shouldn't be looking to overclock with that motherboard, the Bulldozer will destroy it in no time.
      The XFX Pro 550W or 650W is a good choice from a price/performance perspective.  A replacement PSU is highly advisable, the CiT is not a good unit.  Even if you don't have that exact unit, it won't be good quality if it came bundled with that case, for that price.

Jasy19

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 05:25:48 AM »
        The PSU doesn't blow into the case, it takes air from inside the case and expels it out of the back.
        You shouldn't be looking to overclock with that motherboard, the Bulldozer will destroy it in no time.
        The XFX Pro 550W or 650W is a good choice from a price/performance perspective.  A replacement PSU is highly advisable, the CiT is not a good unit.  Even if you don't have that exact unit, it won't be good quality if it came bundled with that case, for that price.

I thought that, but when I put my hand underneath, I can feel air being pushed into the case, as well as out the back.

Howcome with the motherboard? As I thought it was a fairly decent one;
        I've got a Hyper 212+ evo as the cpu cooler which seems to do a good job, around 50-60 degrees hardcore, but I think most of that is the small case/psu issue.

Would there really be much of an issue pushing 3.1 ghz to 4 ghz?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 05:37:43 AM »
        Interesting, it definitely should pull air in at the bottom and push air out of the back.  It's pretty much impossible for it not to, I can't see how a single fan could push air out of both the back and bottom, leaving nowhere for it to take air in.

Have a look here - http://www.overclock.net/t/946407/amd-motherboards-vrm-info-database
        It's a list of all, or almost all, AMD motherboards with VRM info.  Your board is only rated to 95W, not entirely sure how they get away with saying Bulldozer is supported on it to be honest.  The link at the start of the thread does a good job of explaining why VRM rating is so important.  I certainly would not want to overclock an already power hungry CPU on that board.

Jasy19

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 05:44:05 AM »
          Interesting, it definitely should pull air in at the bottom and push air out of the back.  It's pretty much impossible for it not to, I can't see how a single fan could push air out of both the back and bottom, leaving nowhere for it to take air in.

Have a look here - http://www.overclock.net/t/946407/amd-motherboards-vrm-info-database
          It's a list of all, or almost all, AMD motherboards with VRM info.  Your board is only rated to 95W, not entirely sure how they get away with saying Bulldozer is supported on it to be honest.  The link at the start of the thread does a good job of explaining why VRM rating is so important.  I certainly would not want to overclock an already power hungry CPU on that board.

I did some googling and yes, I see what you mean. Many people saying they get problems, and from what I can see, it's a pretty cheap board.

I've got a budget of about £260 to upgrade :/
          Do you have any suggestions? :) 3 RAM slots would be desirable (if that ever happens), as on Planetside 2 I seem to hit about 90% of my memory, (2 x 4gb installed).
          Obviously have the case, though I'm trying to look around for one maybe cheaper, to save some money for a better mobo perhaps.

Thank you in advance :)
          « Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 06:02:19 AM by Jasy19 »

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 06:01:42 AM »
          The Asus M5A97 Evo, or Evo R2, is generally regarded as a good board for AMD overclockers, alternatively consider the M5A99X Pro or Evo, or the Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 although I would recommend the Asus boards.

Jasy19

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 06:04:10 AM »
            The Asus M5A97 Evo, or Evo R2, is generally regarded as a good board for AMD overclockers, alternatively consider the M5A99X Pro or Evo, or the Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 although I would recommend the Asus boards.

The M5A97 evo seems decent, and would work for everything as far as I can tell. So that's a £80 mobo, £80 case, now to find an £80 psu   :D

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 06:07:28 AM »
            £80 is plenty for a decent PSU, the XFX units I mentioned above are more than sufficient and are excellent quality and value for money.
            I sound like an XFX shill sometimes but in the PSU market, there are only rare occasions an XFX doesn't make sense considering their cost.

Jasy19

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 06:16:08 AM »
              £80 is plenty for a decent PSU, the XFX units I mentioned above are more than sufficient and are excellent quality and value for money.
              I sound like an XFX shill sometimes but in the PSU market, there are only rare occasions an XFX doesn't make sense considering their cost.

Would the 650w be plenty for my power hungry cpu overclocked?  ???

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
                • Yes
              « Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 06:18:52 AM »
              Yes.

Jasy19

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 06:20:20 AM »
                Thank you very much :) It's not often you get some good help :D

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
                  • Yes
                « Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 06:21:40 AM »
                No problem at all, glad to have helped :)

Jasy19

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 03:16:15 PM »
                  Raaahhh, seems like I'm not going to have enough money in my budget as I thought, does anyone know of any similar but cheaper cases as posted above? Just looking for a full-size well vented case, I don't care much about looks.