Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer upgrade problem :<  (Read 27265 times)

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Computer upgrade problem :<
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2013, 05:49:18 AM »
I would say so, yes, ideally get a matching fan (Antec Tricool).  With two fans in the front, and the rear and top fans in place, the cooling capability is excellent.  It's cheap because it's made of steel (so nice and sturdy) and doesn't have a nicely painted interior or a side window...that's pretty much all it lacks over a more expensive case, but in return you get a solidly constructed case at a good price, although it was still better valued when it was £35-40 but that was a good while ago now.  I remember when there was a worldwide shortage of Antec 300s which caused much panic, but I'm rambling now :)

Jasy19

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #31 on: October 29, 2013, 06:20:10 AM »
    Haha, it does seem very good despite the looks.
    I found this: http://www.maplin.co.uk/zalman-z11-plus-atx-pc-case-black-686050?c=maplin&utm_source=gcs&utm_medium=gcs_search&utm_campaign=N51NU&utm_content=PC+Cases&_$ja=cgid:7690034683|tsid:49900|cid:119049523|lid:44978789203|nw:{network}|crid:26685291043|rnd:{random}|dvc:{device}|adp:{adposition}&gclid=CKrh8pyDvLoCFceWtAodm1UA0Q

I'm not sure if it actually includes all the fans though... but if it did, I assume that's a pretty good pick?

Jasy19

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2013, 06:25:42 AM »
      After looking it over, I think it comes with 4-5 fans included!

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #33 on: October 29, 2013, 06:26:12 AM »
      I've always loved the way the Antec 300 looks, I don't tend to like LED fans and flashy doo-dahs.

As for the Z11 - looks like it comes with 5 fans - 120mm in the top, front and rear, and 2 80mms in the side.  Incidentally, side panel fans are almost always a bad idea, and 80mm fans have no place in modern computers.  I'm not a fan (no pun intended) of most Zalman cases, in fact any semi-modern Zalman case, as the ones I've had the misfortune of building in were awful - very cheaply built.  I haven't tried the Z11-Plus personally, so perhaps it's better, although if it was my build I would pick the Antec every single time.

Jasy19

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2013, 06:35:07 AM »
        I know exactly what you mean! I don't like it to be too modern, but the Antec looks a little too bland for me (I realise that I'm very picky haha)
        The way I am looking at it is price, looks and obviously cooling/fans included.

The antec is pretty much the same price as the Zalman, but with only 2 fans from what I saw. I like the Zalman's looks, seems to offer good cooling, although I can see how two 80mm fans would be pretty ineffective, especially on side panels. I'm starting to lean towards the Zalman nonetheless :)

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #35 on: October 29, 2013, 06:42:58 AM »
        I don't care much about looks.

I know exactly what you mean! I don't like it to be too modern, but the Antec looks a little too bland for me (I realise that I'm very picky haha)
        The way I am looking at it is price, looks and obviously cooling/fans included.

I see.

Well, at the end of the day it's your decision, I'm just explaining what I would choose if it was my money and why.  If you like the looks of the Zalman and want 5 fans, then buy it.  If I wanted LEDs etc I would probably get some LED fans and put them in the front of the Antec, like in this system (OcUK Titan Xenomorph) as I detest the Zalman case and predict it to probably be a cheaply constructed nightmare to build in like the Z9.  But as I said, it's entirely up to you, it's not my system :)

Jasy19

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2013, 06:48:22 AM »
          I don't mean to sound ungrateful or anything! Cosmetics are the least of my worries, but it still matters to some degree haha.
          I can see why you'd pick the Antec, that looks pretty sweet.

I think I may give the Zalman a shot for the price, apparently two blue LEDS are supplied too as shown in the pic. Seems to have good spacing and cooling. Now to go check my account and hopefully order all these things!

Another thank from me :)  :D

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #37 on: October 29, 2013, 06:51:05 AM »
          Just to be clear I would never have LEDs in the front like that, I'm just saying it's an option to brighten the case up.
          I didn't think you were sounding ungrateful heh, I was just saying it's entirely up to you.
          Hopefully you'll be happy with the Zalman, enjoy your build!

Jasy19

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2013, 06:56:22 AM »
            Case: http://www.maplin.co.uk/zalman-z11-plus-atx-pc-case-black-686050?c=maplin&utm_source=gcs&utm_medium=gcs_search&utm_campaign=N51NU&utm_content=PC+Cases&_$ja=cgid:7690034683|tsid:49900|cid:119049523|lid:44978789203|nw:{network}|crid:26685291043|rnd:{random}|dvc:{device}|adp:{adposition}&gclid=CKrh8pyDvLoCFceWtAodm1UA0Q

Mobo: http://www.amazon.co.uk/M5A97-EVO-R2-0-Motherboard-eS-ATA/dp/B008RPZ5H8

PSU: XFX 650 or 750w?

Which would you recommend? And what would be the differences between the higher wattage?

Should be my last question  ::)

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #39 on: October 29, 2013, 07:00:13 AM »
            650W is more than enough for your system.  The only difference is that the 750W can supply more power, but 650W is more than enough for the components you have now, or for a much more power hungry system in the future, so it'll last you a long time.

Jasy19

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2013, 07:35:08 AM »
              Rahhh, now I've found I don't quite have enough to include the XFX psu unit. Looking for something in the region of £50-60.

Any idea what the Cooler Master GX RS650-ACAAD3 is like?:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/650W-Cooler-Master-GX-RS650-ACAAD3-UK-85-Eff-80-PLUS-Bronze-SLi-Xfire-EPS-/130972366900?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

And would it have all the neccessary cables etc? (I'm such a pain in the arse  :-[)

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
                • Yes
              « Reply #41 on: October 29, 2013, 07:36:32 AM »
              Any idea what the Cooler Master GX RS650-ACAAD3 is like?:

Yes.  Don't buy it.
              Antec High Current Gamer 520W should do nicely, it's around £60.  Alternatively, get the XFX Pro 450W which is still adequate for your system for around £40.

Jasy19

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2013, 07:42:45 AM »
                Yes.  Don't buy it.
                Antec High Current Gamer 520W should do nicely, it's around £60.  Alternatively, get the XFX Pro 450W which is still adequate for your system for around £40.

Hahaha! Shows my knowledge of power supplies :p.

Are you sure an XFX pro 450W would be sufficient? given that I'll have the fx-8120 overclocked (hopefully :)) my graphics card plus all the fans? I get a bit paranoid about these things including cabling

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
                  • Yes
                « Reply #43 on: October 29, 2013, 07:46:10 AM »
                If you're unsure, get the 520W instead.

Edit: in fact, if you're planning on overclocking, you'll need a pretty hefty PSU as Bulldozer really sucks down the juice once you start clocking it.  Depends how far you want to go, but if you're planning on pushing to say 4.4-4.6, you'll ideally need around a 650W at minimum - compared to stock where your system will draw <350W.

Jasy19

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2013, 07:49:10 AM »
                  Would you not recommend the 520w if I'm am overclocking then? As that is the plan :)