Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Most Popular Linux for 2014  (Read 6251 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Most Popular Linux for 2014
« on: October 21, 2013, 02:59:33 PM »
[Source for this is By
Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols for Linux and Open Source
June 24, 2013]

You will never guess. This is about 'most popular' like what is the most popular breakfast among adults. No fair asking children. Just aduts.

Thee are millions of people that use the most popular Linux every day. The don't call themselves Linux users, but they are. They are not innovators, movers or shakers. They are just real people doing what they do with  Linux machines.

This article appeared earlier this year and then author predicts taht by 2014 there wail be no contest.  Hey, the author knows his stuff. Don't judge it before you read it.

OK, so what do you think is the second most popular Linux? This one is trickier. There are no useful desktop Linux surveys.
He goes on to say maybe:
...my pick for the second most possible Linux desktop is...
Google's Chrome OS.
Wait, you cry, who is this guy? And what does he thing #1 is?
Can you guess? Hey, nobody said Desktop PC. You must recognize that Desktop PCs are no longer mainstream. Anything portable is now the majority. So the most popular Linux has to be on any thing you can take with you.
To learn the shocking truth about the future of Linux, your must read...
Most Popular Linux You Will Never Guess.
 :D

Salmon Trout

Re: Most Popular Linux for 2014
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 03:45:56 PM »
Wow! It's a whole 5 weeks since you started a "The most popular Linux is Android" thread, with a link to the very same article! Will you be doing another around the end of November?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Most Popular Linux for 2014
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 04:19:27 PM »
I've never thought of Android as a Linux distribution for a few reasons. The first being that it doesn't use the Linux kernel- but rather a modified Linux kernel. One could almost argue, on the same basis, that OSX is BSD since it uses a heavily modified BSD kernel.

As far as I'm aware, no Linux distribution uses a modified Linux Kernel; they all use a version straight from the kernel mainline. So this in and of itself would set it apart from every single Linux distribution.

In any case, if somebody puts Chrome and Android at the top of such a list, they have to be biased.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.