Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB port is working in Bios but not in windows?  (Read 4735 times)

Mani3gs

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    USB port is working in Bios but not in windows?
    « on: October 26, 2013, 09:02:19 PM »
    I have compaq presario c700 laptop.

USB ports are not working in windows.but it is working in BIOS.(e.g usb keyboard.)

I thought that it would be windows problem so I planned  to install new os. Cd drive doesn't work.so I have only option to install through usb.

When I try to install os , after I click INSTALL Button I got error "A required cd/DVD drive device driver is missing..." ..what should I do now ? 

Thanks in advance .

Note: first my all USB ports did not work suddenly .then I gave my laptop to service centre. They told that USB ports are shorted and they only made one port to function. But that too working in bios only. Pls see the error I got.
    http://i42.tinypic.com/242iwk2.jpg

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: USB port is working in Bios but not in windows?
    « Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 09:38:57 PM »
    Let me say something.
    The presario c700 has a resale value of maybe $190 if it is in top condition. So what I am saying, repainting that laptop is a poor investment, unless you get a warranty with the repair work.

The USB electronics is part of the chip set of the motherboard. Replacing the chip set is near impossible, except in the factory. And in the factory they don't want top do it. It is labor intensive and nobly justified on very valuable motherboards.

You might  buy a used motherboard from eBay for about $35. But I would not recommend it. Replacing a motherboard is  a real job.