Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Posting Photos/Screenshots with Dropbox  (Read 4799 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
Posting Photos/Screenshots with Dropbox
« on: September 15, 2013, 06:19:26 PM »
OK, so I don't know if this is a 'Software' question or an 'Internet' question... So I'll start here (even though I'm sure it's not a 'browser' question, let's just let that one slide).

Normally when I need to post screenshots on here (or MrExcel.com!) I take the screenshot, crop it in paint, save it as JPG, launch ImageShack.us, upload it, copy and paste the link, and go.

(I don't like the clipper on Evernote  because, well, I just don't).

I was thinking if I just saved the JPG to my Dropbox folder, that would work. But, by design, that creates a secure (HTTPS) link, which, apparently, the [IMG] command in forums doesn't allow to post.

How do other people post pictures?
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Posting Photos/Screenshots with Dropbox
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 03:48:43 AM »
Personally I use Imgur to upload and host photos I need to post, I find it's simpler and quicker than using Photobucket, Imageshack, etc.
I haven't run into trying to use a https link to display an image, just checking are you sure you're using the right code?
Could you paste in an example, and enclose it in code tags, like so - [ code]your code here[ /code] - just remove the spaces in the code tags to make it work.  Then we can take a look and be sure :)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 07:16:22 PM »
Oh, wait.

It's working here.

It wasn't working the other day. Or on MrExcel.com (where I was trying  to use that picture to explain something).

I'm a moron.

OK, I'll get back to you when I can't make it work again.

Hmm.

Slight edit to remove a swearie - Calum
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 02:10:05 AM by Calum »
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 02:11:22 AM »
Interesting, perhaps it's to do with their forum software?  They use vBulletin, haven't admin'd a VB forum in a few years now so I'm not sure if it allows https images by default, or if there's an option for it, or what.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 07:50:05 PM »
A 'swearie'?

Sheee---xxx.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 04:48:02 PM »
I've since learned that if I replace the "www" in the URL with "dl" it posts up just fine.

Why, I let lose a swearie of joy when I discovered that!

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 02:57:02 AM »
Thanks for posting the solution, will mark this as solved.  I'm sure someone else will find the info useful :)