Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hardware suggestion/advices for new setup  (Read 3123 times)

lolkrayd

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    Hardware suggestion/advices for new setup
    « on: October 30, 2013, 03:01:21 PM »
    Hey everyone,
    I am selling my current desktop this weekend and was planning on building new setup.
    Planning on getting a MicroAtx setup or something small.  As much as I love the Corsair 600t, it is just too big for my current living condition.

Aiming to play some casual games (ranging from League of legends to Bioshock Infinity) on 1080p resolution. 
    Also have a 2nd monitor used for misc.
    I have a few other titles such as Metro but, I won't be touching those for some time.

I will not need a PSU/SSD/ CD|DVD drive
    Parts that I am considering reusing but not 100% sure.
        An old gtx 460 (missing an hdmi port so I am hoping on replacing)
        An old beat up NZXT case (most likely going to go with a refurbish case from corsair outlet)
    was hoping someone can give me some suggestions on what parts I should get.

Need some help deciding on a video card
    ranging from 650ti boost/7870 - gtx 770/R9 280X

Currently have this in mind
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1UcI5

CPU can be picked up at microcenter for $160~~~~~
    I do not plan on overclocking.  hence the 4570 chip

What videocard and case should I get?
    Would it be worth the extra money to overclock if I decide to pick up the 4670k + z87 board?  I only plan on clocking it to 4.0-4.2 at the best
    Trying to keep it below 600USD

Thanks for the input
    « Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 03:33:12 PM by lolkrayd »

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Hardware suggestion/advices for new setup
    « Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 04:17:49 PM »
    Looking this over you will need an OS too , so your looking at $100 +/- for an OS such as Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit linked here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986

That then drops you to $500 in which a system could be built to play these games for $500.

Looking over your list of parts... $306.73 means your left with $193.27 for your video card. However Asrock motherboards have been hit and miss. Seen lots of people in newegg comments with AsRock having problems and so I have avoided them even when the boards are cheap like this one.

This motherboard linked here is rated 3 of 5 : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157450&Tpk=H81M-HDS

If I was building this system, I'd go with this ASUS board instead for $18.98 more: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132044

I have had good luck with Biostar, ASUS, and Gigabyte motherboards, but have had problems with Foxconn, ECS Elitegroup, and MSI due to hardware failures either right away or within a year of ownership. Foxconn board I had the integrated audio died on it and its not just the plug. As confirmed with oscilloscope its dead. So I had to add a PCI sound card to get sound back on that build. ECS Elitegroup the problems were that the system would freeze solid and after hours of troubleshooting it was something wrong with the motherboard and not RAM etc. So I removed all good parts from that + jumpers and tossed that $39.99 motherboard into the trash. MSI had an issue with the HDD controller. So the system would boot and No HDD Detected. Swapped SATA cable to SATA Port 0 and problem remained. Tried SATA Port 1 and problem remained. Removed CMOS battery and reset bios and problem remained. Swapped Hard Drives and problem still remained. Swapped power supplies and problem still remained. Added PCI SATA controller card and got the system back up and running off of the band aid replacing the HDD controller with alt controller. Then 3 months later it wouldnt post, just black screen and thats when I yanked the memory, CPU, and cards out of it, and unscrewed it from the computer case and sent it like a frizbee into the dumpster at last workplace. Looking online this board was like 2 of 5 stars with many having issues with it.

Going with the better motherboard would leave you with $174.29 for a good video card. And this one here fits within the money left: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125447 , but the GTX 770 is way outside the remaining funds unless you want to go over $600.

Also assuming you will be using an SSD so you dont need a hard drive according to this:
    I will not need a PSU/SSD/ CD|DVD drive

lolkrayd

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 05:36:54 PM »
      doh, forgot to mention that I have a copy of windows 7, at least the student edition of it

also I can pick up the chip for 160 making the current cost ~ 300 after tax
      leaving 300 left for budget, I can squeeze out some money but still debating on how strong of a card I really need as I don't have many things that will require a powerful card.

I got a 760 in the current desktop, however it is overkill for everything I play everything seems to exceed 60fps and only dips when its a heavy scene.

Though I have seen the 7950 drop below $200 along with AMDs 3game bundle making it really tempting.
      Also for the case, I am going through corsairs outlet store and the 200R/300R seems to be very appealing. and They run for about 30-50dollars

leaving me with a budget of ~250 for a card. 

Though I am also tempted on picking up the 650ti boost as they run close to 100. 

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 06:14:43 PM »
      I'd go with the 650Ti if you are only going to play games up to the complexity in graphics of Bioshock Infinite. Here are the system requirements for that game. If it were me, I'd go with the 650Ti and save the difference for 2 or 3 years down the road when you need a better card. However if you know there is a game title coming out in the near future and the 650Ti will struggle then I suppose you might want one more powerful.

BioShock Infinite system requirements:
      MINIMUM

•Processor: Intel Core 2 DUO 2.4 GHz / AMD Athlon X2 2.7 GHZ
      •Memory: 2 GB
      •Hard Drive: 20 GB free
      •Video Card: DirectX10 Compatible ATI Radeon 3870 / NVIDIA 8800 GT / Intel HD 3000 Integrated Graphics
      •Video Card Memory: 512 MB
      •Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

RECOMMENDED
      •Processor: Quad Core Processor
      •Memory: 4 GB
      •Hard Drive: 30 GB free
      •Video Card: DirectX11 Compatible, ATI Radeon 6950 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560•Video Card Memory: 1024 MB
      •Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

lolkrayd

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 06:27:22 PM »
        kk thanks for the input, probably pick up the 650ti boost since its cheaper than the 650ti probably on sale atm... though black friday is around the corner and the 460 can probably hold me well until then

thanks