Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help/advice with motherboard and PSU  (Read 3645 times)

xdanx

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Need help/advice with motherboard and PSU
    « on: October 24, 2013, 12:11:27 PM »
    Hi people, I'd like to ask you about this because I don't get that much about hardware. First, some specifications:

M5a97 r2.0 motherboard
    Amd fx 6300 processor
    4gb DDR kingston memory
    Hd radeon 4670 video card
    1 western digital 200gb+ sata hard disk
    Cooler master 460w extreme power plus

I changed mother, micro and ram a few days ago and I want to know if I need to change the power source too, because right now mine doesn't have an 8pin connector, only 4pin and 6pin, so I can't really connect it, but I've heard of adapters for atx 4pin and molex to 8pin. Would something like that work? Otherwise could you recommend me a PSU for this hardware, I don't think I'll update it soon so I don't need too much, only enough for the current hardware and well DVD and that normal stuff, maybe another hdisk.

Chrisxs5

Hopeful
    • Sup!?
      • Where we learn IT daily!
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Need help/advice with motherboard and PSU
    « Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 01:37:34 PM »
    I would get a new one. Im not big on a particular brand but I would get at least a 750w.
    Check out my blog: http://vitrookie.com

System, Network, Virtualization, Storage, ETC Admin with a bunch of certs and an ego trip!

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 03:12:54 AM »
    Your PSU should in theory power your system as the 8 pin connector is not required, the 4 pin connector will fit in one side and work fine.  There's little point buying an adapter.
    However, I would recommend changing it, as the Coolermaster Extreme Power line isn't particularly good quality.

I would get a new one. Im not big on a particular brand but I would get at least a 750w.

Why?

xdanx

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 07:16:58 AM »
      And what would you recommend without going too far?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 10:33:16 AM »
      A quality 450-500W would be adequate.

Chrisxs5

Hopeful
      • Sup!?
      « Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 03:06:45 PM »
      Using a standard power calculator according to your specs listed and assuming you also have a DVD-RW and putting your your HD RPMS at 5400, the anticipated usage is 378W. Now lets make a few more assumptions here as well. Lets say you already have or are planning to install/upgrade to Blu-Ray or you have faster HD's, or maybe you want to add an additional video card. That would put your consumption right about 550w. That would max out a 550W PSU. OF course you may plan to use SSD one day which would lower your power consumption. But until then a decent 650W would actually do, but being that the price difference between a 650 and 750 usually isnt much; I recommended a 750W.

When you start performing multiple upgrades on a system, I always recommend to make all compatible upgrades if possible. Having the right cabling will keep your system cleaner looking and more efficent. Now I do have a tendency to overdue upgrade recommendations, but only where needed. If you only plan on making these upgrades only; then you would be just fine with 450. But how many of us are really ever happy with just a few upgrades and then stopping?

System, Network, Virtualization, Storage, ETC Admin with a bunch of certs and an ego trip!

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 03:17:45 PM »
      In Xbitlabs' review of Vishera including the FX-6300, the total power consumption under full CPU load was 162W - link here.  That was with a GTX 680 in the mix as well rather than a 4670.  Anandtech's review gives an even lower figure for system power draw of 145W - link.
      Let's go with the higher of the two, and add in a few watts - literally a few - for multiple HDDs, DVD drives, and anything else along those lines, and let's be pessimistic and say that brings us to 200W.  Add a graphics card - how about the AMD HD 7850, that's a decent mid range card, good bang for buck...100W under load, or thereabouts, bringing us to (again, being pessimistic and aiming high as I'm not taking out the power drawn by the 4670 it would replace) 300W.  We could potentially even go Crossfire with a 450W PSU, although I would personally want to go a little higher just because the fan might get a little noisy depending on case cooling - but we're still not pushing it beyond what it's rated to do.
      In this day and age, 650-750W PSUs just aren't needed even for midrange PCs any longer.

Chrisxs5

Hopeful
      • Sup!?
      « Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 11:02:40 PM »
      xdanx as you can see we all have advice and different experiences. I like the power consumption calculator on NewEgg.com but Xbitlabs is a viable resource as well. Look through all the information and even perform a few Google searches. Enjoy your upgrades.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 01:56:28 AM »
      Indeed, it's always worth thoroughly researching before buying anything.  I linked Xbitlabs along with Anandtech as they're both good review sites.  The PSU calculator on Newegg is, I believe, based on (or is) the Extreme Outervision calculator, which can be a good starting point but almost without fail gives a much higher estimate than is necessary.  So, you can't go wrong by following its recommendation, you'll never buy a lower rated PSU than you need, but you may end up spending more than you need to, which isn't the worst thing that could happen as at least you'll always have headroom for upgrades.