Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Not all files are showing  (Read 4955 times)

Beeracuda

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    Not all files are showing
    « on: October 26, 2013, 06:07:33 PM »
    Hope this is the right forum for this.  Anyway, here's my problem:

All of my mp3 files are saved in one folder.  I have approximately 5000 mp3 files in this folder.  Some time ago, I noticed that only about 2100 of these files are listed when I use Windows Explorer to list the files in the folder.  I've tried changing the folder options to list all files, including hidden files, but it doesn't make a difference.  I know these files are still in this folder, since I have all of these files loaded into WinAmp for shuffle play, so these files still exist and are being accessed by WinAmp.

Am I missing something here?  Any suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Not all files are showing
    « Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 08:03:19 PM »
    When looking at the folder properties how many files does it show? If any are present but hidden beyond hidden, it should still show the file count to be say 5000 ... if it shows just 2100, then there really are only 2100 when looking at properties. Sometimes music players will show say 5000 but they are linked among the music folder you created and the music folder in the user profile or elsewhere.

Beeracuda

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 12:17:16 AM »
      Dave, when looking at folder properties, it says there are only 2149 files in the folder.  I know the remainder of the files are in that folder, because if I'm using WinAmp, and I check on the properties of one of the songs playing (one of the ones that aren't listed using Explorer), it shows the file path to that very folder.  If the file wasn't there, it certainly wouldn't be playing.

It's really strange.  I've never encountered anything like it.

Beeracuda

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 12:23:12 AM »
        Additional info:  When I drop into a DOS shell, a DIR command also only lists 2149 files.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 01:53:22 AM »
        Have you checked the disk for errors lately?

Beeracuda

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 08:36:22 AM »
          Have you checked the disk for errors lately?

That certainly alleviated SOME of the problems.  After running a CHKDSK /f and then defragmenting the hard drive, it's now showing 4,305 files.  It's still missing around 700 other files, although they're not missing per se, since I'm still able to access the files through WinAmp. 

Thanks so much for your advice!  Is there anything further I could do to possibly get the rest of the files to show up?

Allan

• Mastermind
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 08:57:10 AM »
          You want to run chkdsk /r not chkdsk /f

Beeracuda

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 12:50:16 PM »
            You want to run chkdsk /r not chkdsk /f

That did it!  All files are showing now! 

Thanks so much, Allan!

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 12:51:57 PM »
            For future reference...the /r switch implies /f....
            So although not as quick it's the proper method.

P.S....perfect time to start a regular backup routine as you almost learned the hard way...just sayin.
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Salmon Trout

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 01:04:00 PM »
            For future reference...the /r switch implies /f....
            So although not as quick it's the proper method.

P.S....perfect time to start a regular backup routine as you almost learned the hard way...just sayin.

I have been thinking this since quite early in this thread... large number of files vanished suddenly... Uh-oh! Chkdisk with the /F switch fixes file system errors, the /R switch locates bad sectors and attempts to recover readable information. Hard drives are made with a number of spare sectors. All hard drives develop the odd one or two bad sectors from time to time. Right from new, the firmware on the drive will silently map out bad sectors and copy the data to spare ones. After all the spare sectors are used up, when any more bad sectors happen, the problem then spills over into the user's world and then you start having to use chkdisk /R. This, and large numbers of new bad sectors, are a clear sign that the disk is now unreliable and reaching end of life.
            « Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 01:42:17 PM by Salmon Trout »

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 01:10:58 PM »
            Couldn't agree more...
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Beeracuda

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 06:21:11 PM »
              Thanks for all your advice, everyone! 

For the record, I was never worried about losing any files, since I have them all backed up on a 1 terabyte external HD.  It never really occurred to me that the hard drive might have been the source of the problems, which is a good indication of the kind of a good luck I've had with hard drives over the 25+ years of working with them.  And it's no wonder that parts of it were failing, since I don't believe I've ever defragmented or ran a disk check on this particular drive for the 5 or so years I've been using it.  Until I replace it, I am now wiser and will start to run regular maintenance on it.

Thanks again everyone!

Beeracuda

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 06:24:42 PM »
                I have been thinking this since quite early in this thread... large number of files vanished suddenly... Uh-oh!

I think one of the reasons I wasn't thinking it was a drive problem was for the fact that although the files weren't being listed, I was still able to access them through WinAmp, so I knew they were still there.  Had I not been able to access the files at all, my first thought would probably have been "uh oh, HD problem".