Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Copying Large Files over LAN  (Read 5324 times)

WKA

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Copying Large Files over LAN
    « on: October 29, 2013, 07:07:53 AM »
    I have a problem in transferring large files between two computers on a LAN.  The two computers in question are both GX-280s  running XP SP3.  The LAN is wired.  I am using cut and paste in Windows Explorer to try to do this.  I have been successful in moving the smaller files (one as large as 2,831,154 KB) but when I try to copy larger ones I get

"Cannot copy xxxxx: There is not enough free disk space

Delete one or more files to free disc space, and then try again.

To free space on this drive by deleting old or unnecessary file, click
    Disk Cleanup"

At that time the receiving drive had
    78,891,602,272 byes Used Space
    1,421,144,064,000 bytes Free Space

The File I was trying to transfer had 4,229,608 KB

A copy the 4.2 GB file that failed could be made (using cut and paste in Windows Explorer) to the same disk it was on.  I have tried this both "pushing" and "pulling" and get the same result

I had thought that somehow the data might be put in memory before being written to the disk on the receiving computer and increased the size of  Virtual Memory to

756/1512 MB (Initial/Maximum) on C Drive and
    1500/3000 MB on D Drive.
    System information show that there was 1,536 MB Total and 1.09 GB Available Physical memory before running any of this.

That still doesn't make it work

Is this a fundamental problem of Win XP?  I don't see how the LAN itself (the switches and the cables) could be a problem.  Surely the data would be sent in smaller packets anyhow since the smaller files that transferred successfully took a number of minutes to complete and it was possible for other computers on the LAN to talk to the DSL modem and the internet while the transfer was taking place.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Copying Large Files over LAN
    « Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 08:14:56 AM »
    Sounds like the drive you're transferring to is formatted as FAT32, rather than NTFS.  FAT32 doesn't support files of that size, whereas NTFS does.

WKA

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 01:02:52 PM »
      Thanks much, that works.  It is a long process moving all those files but they are moving.  It was a used drive I bought and it was already formatted so I didn't think to look.  FAT32 goes back to W98 or so, I think, and I wouldn't have expected it on a SATA-2 disc, much less one that large.  Again thanks.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 03:41:01 PM »
      By nature the Win file copy/move operations can be slow...because they overthink things in Redmond Wa....
      I use and recommend TeraCopy for this.
      Freeware...give it a try.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 06:23:51 PM »
      FAT32 goes back to W98 or so, I think, and I wouldn't have expected it on a SATA-2 disc, much less one that large.

If the drive came out of an external drive, removed from the enclosure to be used internally, its common for it to be FAT32 from factory without having to come from an older OS computer.

The only problem i have run into with yanking drives from external enclosures for installation internally is that most of the drives I have come across are lacking in Cache compared to other drives of similar capacity. They will work ok installed internally, but I think because the drive manufacturer knew they were going to be used externally for slow USB communications, they used cheaper drives with lesser Cache.

I found this out when using CrystalDiskInfo on some drives I had and 3 of them use to be in external enclosures, but of which were pulled from the enclosures because the USB/SATA board died on the enclosure or they were from for example a 1TB Maxtor External in which it had 2 x 500GB drives installed and spanned as a single drive and 1 of the 2 drives died and it was thrown away. I tested the drives and found 1 good 500GB and the other that wouldnt even spin up I shipped back to Seagate who honors Maxtor warranty and got a 500GB Seagate Rebuild in return for just the cost of shipping.

I'd run CrystalDiskInfo on the drive to make sure its a healthy drive. You also will know how many hours its been used and how many times power has been cycled on it etc as well as lots of other info about the drive health. http://crystalmark.info/software/index-e.html

Among a small stack of drives I had from systems I yanked them from, I found 2 that had bad sector counts that pointed to drives that may be limited in continued use, as well as another drive with 33,000 hours on it of use, but yet it was still at 0 bad sector count which I bought for $9.99 through newegg for a 120GB IDE HDD for my daughters computer upgrade away from her 40GB which was out of space.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 06:32:28 PM »
      Actually most externals have shipped eithr non-formatted or straight up NTFS for awhile now...
      At least the ones i've purchased...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "