Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Stuck in infinite reboot (A newer version of .NET Frmwrk 4 is already installed)  (Read 4561 times)

rwrjr

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Here are my computer stats:

Genuine Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1 - logged on as administrator, UAC disabled
    Core i7 3770, 16 gigs RAM, 1TB hard drive (model unknown), nvidia GTX 680, onboard Realtek sound, Microsoft Security Essentials + Spybot S&D + PeerBlock
    Computer is a personal machine - not on a network

Yesterday I bought the Groupees "Be Mine X" bundle (http://groupees.com/bmx). Afterwards, I downloaded and attempted to install the game "Last Knight" from that bundle. At the end of the process, both Unreal Development Kit and Microsoft .net Framework 4 installation ran (The game's developer claims the .net setup should not have happened, but it did. I downloaded the file from the official Groupees page so I can't imagine it was a rogue program or anything).

Then a Microsoft .NET dialogue box popped up with this message: "Your installation will not occur. See below for reasons why: Same or higher version of .NET Framework 4 has already been installed on this computer." When I closed that message, a Windows dialogue came up with this message: "You are about to be logged off. Windows will shut down in 1 minute." Without any confirmation from me, all my programs closed and Windows rebooted within about 10 seconds of that message.

Upon reboot, immediately after the "Welcome" screen but before the desktop appears (on a black screen), the same two dialogue boxes come up again in the same order. My desktop is only onscreen for a few seconds before it is shut down again and the whole process repeats again (There is not enough time for me to access any programs or the command prompt).

Currently, I am only able to boot into safe mode with networking, which prevents the reboot from happening. I have run a full Spybot scan, which turned up absolutely no problems. Unfortunately, I do not have System Restore enabled, which I acknowledge is a screw-up on my part - lesson learned for the future. Here are the other steps I have tried:

- Rebooting into the "Last known good configuration," which leads to the same dialogue messages and result
    - Rebooting into repair mode. After about 20 minutes of trying to find a solution, Windows told me it was unable to fix the problem.
     - Creating a new .bat file in my startup folder containing the line "shutdown /a". Unfortunately it looks like the reboot process happens too fast for this command to be executed.
    - Uninstalling the previous versions of .NET Framework. Currently my installed programs shows .NET 1.1 and .NET 4.5 installed, along with several updates for 4.5. Trying to uninstall any of these in safe mode results in an error message saying the Windows installer cannot be accessed.
    - Moving the windows\system32\shutdown.exe file into the recycle bin. This results in an error message that says I cannot access the file without the permission of TrustedInstaller. Trying to access the TrustedInstaller.exe file gives the same error message.

And that's where I am now. Quite a major pain for me. Can anyone help?
    « Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 01:16:29 PM by rwrjr »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

rwrjr

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      Regarding the .NET Repair Tool, I could not use it because it will not run in Safe Mode. However, I caught a lucky break anyway - On one of my restart attempts, the "shutdown /a" BAT file successfully executed in time, so I was able to finish the boot to desktop, uninstall .NET 4.5 along with all the updates. This ultimately led to the solution.

It looks like the culprit was the Unreal Development Kit that was packaged with the game installer. Its process was to install .NET Framework 4, force a restart, and then finish the installation process once the reboot had completed, the remaining prerequisites installed after the reboot included DirectX 9.0c, Visual C++ 2010, and XNA Framework.

Since I already had .NET 4.5 on my machine, the installation process never actually made it to that final step and kept rebooting, trying unsuccessfully to complete the .NET prerequisite install.

I have always hated the UDK redistributable after having problems with it before, though never this serious.