Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Setting up audio system  (Read 3321 times)

PaulKJ

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Setting up audio system
    « on: November 19, 2013, 10:19:22 AM »
    Hey there everyone, My name is Paul and i'm here cause i need some help/guidance on setting up my sound system. I guess I'll start with the obvious by telling you what sort of equipment I'm dealing with. So here it is:

System Model -   HP Pavilion g6 Notebook PC
    OS Name -   Microsoft Windows 8.1
    Version -   6.3.9600 Build 9600
    Processor -   AMD A8-4500M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, 1900 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

Since im dealing with the audio system, heres the audio info:
    Name -   IDT High Definition Audio CODEC Driver   c:\windows\system32\drivers\stwrt64.sys (6.10.6425.0, 529.50 KB (542,208 bytes), 2013-11-04 6:31 AM)

Name   AMD High Definition Audio Device Driver   c:\windows\system32\drivers\atihdw86.sys (8.0.0.8807, 96.16 KB (98,472 bytes), 2012-07-18 12:59 AM)

Speakers (Hardware):
    Mission Electronics
    Model 70
    MK II
    (No. 163920)
    Power - 75 W Impedance - 8 OHMS

AND
    PolkAudio
    RM6751
    Serial #: AM6751311583

Subwoofer
    PSB Speakers
    SubSeries 1 Powered Subwoofer
    120 V ~ 60 Hz 1.6A AC Fuse
    T1.6AL 250V

Other Information:
    Im using a Harman/Kardon hk385i UltraWideBand Linear Phase Stereo Receiver to connect my speakers. The reason for this is simply because I cannot connect speaker wires to my laptop, so Im connecting the speakers to the receiver, and then using a cable to convert the red and white cable into one that i can plug into a 3.5mm port.
    The subwoofer only has 2 red/2 black wire connections meaning I can only hook 2 speakers to the woofer. Whereas the receiver can hold all 4, but no more. So either I can use the receiver with 4 speakers and no woofer, or use the woofer with only two speakers.
    Is there any harm in combining the 2 left speakers with the 1 left woofer port, and the 2 right speakers with the 1 right woofer port and then connecting those to the stereo receiver? So essentially turning my two port woofer into a 4 port woofer by crossing the wires.
    My main concern I guess is that its too much power and it might break something? Im not sure exactly.

I apologize if it doesnt make sense, if you need any more information or have any questions about what im asking, ill be here to reply asap.
    P.S. If you have any other solutions to my problem (aside from buying a new sound system specifically for computers) would be nice as well.

Thank you,
    Again I apologize, my mind is all over the place! 
    « Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 10:23:20 AM by Allan »

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Setting up audio system
    « Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 10:25:04 AM »
    I've changed the subject of your post from "Hello, is anyone here" to something more relevant. Also, keep in mind this is a computer help site and not an audio / video forum. While some of our members may be able to offer advice and assistance, this certainly shouldn't be your only online help request and take the place of the forums at AVS.com, for example.