Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dell Inspiron 531 desktop - Can't get to desktop  (Read 3985 times)

dime

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Dell Inspiron 531 desktop - Can't get to desktop
    « on: November 07, 2013, 01:53:43 PM »
    First time posting here. Hello~

I can't view my desktop. Right when I turn on the computer, the safe mode screen pops up, then it goes onto the Dell logo screen, and then it appears that it is finally going to desktop, but instead, a blue screen pops up for a split second and it returns to the safe mode screen.

I think I may be able to fix this by reinstalling Windows Vista, but the problem is, I will be losing some important files if I do that. What can I do? Any way I can keep my files from being deleted?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Dell Inspiron 531 desktop - Can't get to desktop
    « Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 02:03:18 PM »
    All rodent versions of Windows, including Vista, have a repair option.
    Place the DVD in the drive and let it boot as if you w ewer going to do the install. You will see an option to repair the system. This will preserve you documents and settings, but restore critical files of the operating system.

Hope this helps.

dime

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 10:46:48 PM »
      Okay, so I inserted the disc, and now I am viewing the System Recovery Options window. My operating system isn't listed here, so I selected Load Drivers. Now I am viewing a window titled Add Drivers that says "Insert the installation media for the device and click OK to select driver." I am confused; what am I supposed to select? Am I supposed to insert the Drivers and Utilities disc or am I supposed to select something from the Windows Vista one?

dime

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 11:06:44 PM »
        Did a Google search and found this: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/194765-system-recovery-options.html
        I selected Next on the System Recovery Options window. Now I am waiting for Startup Repair to finish...

dime

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 11:11:27 PM »
          It worked! Thank you so much!  ;D