Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BSOD 0x8e when installing windows 7  (Read 5082 times)

Xom

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    BSOD 0x8e when installing windows 7
    « on: November 10, 2013, 02:03:13 PM »
    Hello :)  I've been reading countless post these last few days trying to figure out with trial and error if I could solve my problem. I can't, I'll try to be thorough as possible.

I'm receiving a 0x0000008e error shortly after trying to install Windows 7 (this is the repeated error as well when trying numerous attempts), after it says loading files twice and the "starting windows" where the symbol is about to appear, BSOD appears with the stop error code.

Parts are:

GPU - Used- XFX Radeon 6850 xxx edition (factory oc'd)

CPU - New - I have two  new cpu's but the Mobo only recognizes one at the moment, my guess is because I'm not able to update drivers to install the other one. Athlon x3-450 (this was the first cpu to contact with the mobo). FX 4300 is the chip when installed at the moment no bios appears. When the other chip was put back in the bios worked on boot.

Mobo - New - MSI 970a-g46, all ports seem to work fine, bios is fully functional...so far

RAM - Used- PNY Optima 2x 4GB, at first I thought these would be the cause of all my problems, I memtest86+ (from a bootable usb drive) these for 10 passes each (over 12 hours) not 1 single error.

PSU - slightly used- Corsair HX850, seems to be working fine

SSD- New- Samsung evo 250gb, changed the ACHI in bios settings as well

ODD - New - generic asus dvd burner

I have ran linux/ubuntu (using the bootable usb drive/iso) as well and received the Black screen of death on that as well. Kernel exception not handled (i think it was).

I also thought maybe it was my boot cd for windows 7 (which I have used before and it worked as intended) so I tried a usb bootable version of Windows 7, same error occurs.

My conclusion from reading is that there's something wrong with the video card driver? No idea how to even fix that (if that's the problem)... If I left anything out please tell me, and thank you!

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: BSOD 0x8e when installing windows 7
    « Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 02:12:52 PM »
    Download memtest (http://memtest.org/). Burn it to a cd using a dedicated .iso burning utility (http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm), make sure the cd drive is at the top of the boot order in bios, then boot to the newly created cd and run the utility.

Xom

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 02:19:24 PM »
      I did that on fri/sat. I ran each stick for 11-12 hours, I was really hoping memory was the problem. Nope, both of them came out with 0 errors and around 10 passes each.

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 02:26:27 PM »
      Is the Windows 7 dvd an original, retail version? If so, EXACTLY how are you trying to install Windows?

Xom

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 02:34:41 PM »
        Yes, I tried using the DVD. I've also tried downloading a copy .ISO and formatting a USB as a bootable drive. No luck with that either.

I've read that some people could run Linux fine but not their Windows 7 disc, Linux/Ubuntu also crashes on install giving me a black screen w/ Kernel error.

Edit: I'm downloading Microsoft's .ISO version (x64) again just to be sure the other file (old) wasn't corrupted in any way.

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 02:47:44 PM »
        You did not confirm that the dvd is an original, retail version and not a copy. Also, if you have other Operating Systems on the drive I would suggest formatting the drive, running a diagnostic on the hd, and then starting from scratch.

Xom

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 03:23:19 PM »
          Retail version - yes. It is somewhat old/scratches I must add. The SSD is new (samsung evo 250gb), nothing has been able to be loaded on it hence not being able to even get to the windows partition screen.

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 03:31:21 PM »
          There are all sorts of anecdotal stories all over the web regarding sporadic issues with ssd's. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the issue. Having said that, it sounds as though you've tried everything else so other than the hd I'm not sure what else to suggest.

Xom

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 03:44:09 PM »
            Interesting, well. Tomorrow I have a new WD Blue 500GB coming in the mail. This would definitely help with the SSD theory.

Do SSD's need to be updated (with the software disc that comes with it) before first use?

Does it matter any that the mobo detects the SSD?

Edit: I found an old WD 250gb HDD, tried using that, same thing happened. The error code was 0x7F this time. I also tried to just boot it as-is. Same error code. I'm starting to think it's the Mobo.
            « Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 04:43:38 PM by Xom »

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 05:46:44 PM »
            I suspect the Windows media itself...
            But i've beem wrong before...
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "