Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No internet access  (Read 3435 times)

jonathof

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    No internet access
    « on: November 02, 2013, 11:15:37 PM »
    Okay heres where my problem started, one night i was on my computer desktop, thats "ethernet cable" is attached to one of my ethernet ports on my router that is running of the connection from my Modem next to it connected to the internet port on the router. Well a storm caused a power outage at my house and when it came back on my network connection had a red X across of it and says no internet connection. I tried many solutions such as powering off everything turning on the following in this order modem, router, computer also restarting it, nothing. Tried the next thing by starting the troubleshooter but that said,"Somethings preventing the troubleshooter from starting Error Code: 0x80070426." That got me so fustrated!! Checked some more online solutions and did them such as going into my computer managment device adapter uninstalling the Realtek or something like that and then reinstall it by scanning for any changes. Also something like disabling protocall 4 and 6 then restarting them still nothing. I think i just caused more problems. Tried contacting my internet provider they managed to restart my modem from wherever they are that tells me that i have internet connection but im still not connected. So heres where im at, no internet connection no troubleshooter and my wifi reads my name of it on my phone lets me connect, says its excellent connection, but when i try to refresh a web page nothing not to mention the security says none even though before the power outage i had a password for my wifi.... Please someone help im already in the second 9 weeks of school i could really use some internet

gameperson

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
      Re: No internet access
      « Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 05:00:07 PM »
      I read your post and I have to say that I'm so sorry for what happened. It sounds to me like you may have a multitude of problems here so let's try to figure this out.

1) What windows do you have? I know that your post is in the windows vista/7 section, but which one do you have?
      2) If I'm reading your post correctly, it sounds like you have both wired and wireless internet access on your desktop computer. Is this true? I have the same thing.
      3) What kind of storm did you have? I ask this because the storm, depending on what it was, may have damaged your hardware. It happens.
      4) A red x on your network connection, I assume that this is from the device manager. A red x means that the hardware is disabled.
      5) I assume that if you have both wired and wireless internet access, you would have an existing internet line, cable, dsl, etc from the wall to the back of your internet modem. A power cord on the back of your modem, an ethernet cable going from the back of your modem to your router and another ethernet cable going from the back of your router to your computer.
      6) Assuming that the above setup is correct, the ethernet port on the back of your desktop is not being used?
      7) try this, boot windows into safe mode and choose safe mode with networking and see what happens.

Answer my questions and we'll go from there.

jonathof

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 11:46:47 PM »
        Thanks alot for replying and sorry for getting back to you late but its been a struggle to get some internet access.
              The type of computer i have is a Emachines Windows 7 for Xfinity Comcast. I did what you daid for booting my CP into safe mode but still same results no internet access and somethings preventing my Network Diagnostic Trouble Shooter from starting. But hear me out lets forget about my Computer Desktop for a second because i can deal with my hardrive being shot out, Whats driving me crazy is that when i turn my wifi on my portable device it has the name of my wifi "linksys" says that the signals excellent but remains at this "Obtaining ip adress..." So i turn off my wifi on my portable device restart my router by pusging the button turn back on my wifi and It lets me connect! but when i try to refresh or search the web it will not allow it to refresh or display the new page on the wifi?! Like i said i can deal with my hardrive being messed up but when its right in my face saying that im connected my signals excellent and i paid for the internet but wont let me use it thats where it gets to me

jonathof

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 12:21:28 AM »
          and it was a lightning storm

gameperson

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 12:15:52 PM »
            Let's try this. Disconnect your wireless router for me completely. I'd like to focus on your wired internet for a moment. Connect your wired internet to your desktop computer. Can you get wired internet at this time?