Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DOS based data to Windows 7  (Read 8662 times)

jupiterzeus

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    DOS based data to Windows 7
    « on: November 11, 2013, 09:02:07 AM »
    I am trying to export or somehow transfer customer history from an old DOS program called CMS (Contractor Management Systems) into a new business software (As yet to be decided). Any suggestions on how to do so without hiring someone to do time consuming data re-entry? I have been told to re-enter all the data into EXCEL because then that should import easily into the new software. The problem is that we have customer histories that go back twenty years and that includes every service we have provided over the years. Is there a fast way to export the DOS programs data in to EXCEL or will we have to have someone manually re-enter the data into EXCEL?

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: DOS based data to Windows 7
    « Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 06:05:58 PM »
    Will the old CMS program export to any type of file such as text (.txt) or CSV (.CSV), or any other?  Excel can import a variety of file types. 

jupiterzeus

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 09:30:02 AM »
      The problem I am having with the DOS based CMS program is that I can not find any place in the program with the option to "Save As", or "Send To" or anything of that nature. It is completely odd to me that there doesn't seem to be any way to take any of the CMS customer files and save them or send them anywhere. The company which designed the software went out of business back around 2001 so I can't even find a contact to ask about this situation. I wish I could find out how to save the database as .txt or as a csv file for Excel.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 09:44:23 AM »
      What is the name of the DOS-based CMS program?  There are database programmers out there who might be able to do this, for a fee.

jupiterzeus

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 09:52:47 AM »
        The program, CMS, stands for Contractor Management Systems. It's a business management software that has been used since the early 80s by the company I just began working for. They want to get a new software to manage the business and I was given the awesome task of choosing one. Now I have to figure out how to get 30+ years of customer service history from CMS to whichever new software I decide upon. The business had CMS running on 3 office computers with 1 of those computers being the primary. That computer hasn't worked for a few years so they have been running CMS off of the other 2 computers. The whole situation is a mess. I know that we can have someone do time consuming data re-entry into Excel and then transfer those files into a new software without trouble but I don't want to commit to doing that tedious process until I have exhausted my search for a way to export the info out of CMS.

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 10:42:58 AM »
        Can you browse files, via Windows Explorer or a Command Prompt screen, in the directory(ies) where you believe the CMS data would be stored?  If you could identify the data files of CMS, you could try opening or importing them with Excel or Access (database).  For this purpose, copying the file to a different location and using the copy for testing might be advisable. 

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 10:44:54 AM »
        If all else fails, could you print the database and OCR the sheets?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 12:01:35 PM »
        Or change the MS-DOS program's printer from LPT1: to a file (.PRN type probably) and print the database?

jupiterzeus

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 12:16:45 PM »
          That is definitely one option that I have considered. I did find a feature in the CMS program that allows you to use a copy window to paste portions of the screen to a windows clipboard. Not tremendous progress but it's a start.

BTW nice Breaking Bad reference  :)

Salmon Trout

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 12:28:20 PM »
          BTW nice Breaking Bad reference  :)

I thought it was the best thing on TV and it was, but now it's over I am watching Mad Men (I am up to Season 2 episode 7)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 12:29:50 PM »
          The problem I am having with the DOS based CMS program is that I can not find any place in the program with the option to "Save As", or "Send To" or anything of that nature.
          This isn't surprising, most Business software didn't have such features integrated into it- eg. My company has a ancient THEOS-based product that has been used since the 80's as well, and is in fact still active. We are only now moving to a Windows-based system in order to "modernize" the product (and move away from THEOS). It has no export capability in the original software, we had to write the appropriate export/import to get started on the Windows version.

In your case, The program might use a standard format; but it's also possible their data files are in their own format. If you are very lucky, they might use ISAM database files- if so there are numerous products that can read the data and import it into other database formats.

It is completely odd to me that there doesn't seem to be any way to take any of the CMS customer files and save them or send them anywhere.
          This didn't become a common feature until much later. Programs typically tried to avoid making it easy to switch to any competitor product.
          I wish I could find out how to save the database as .txt or as a csv file for Excel.
          I would suggest not using Excel. Excel is not a database program- it is a spreadsheet. If you have 20+ years of data it might not work anyway.

The bigger problem is that even if you export the data from the old system to some general format, or even a modern database, it still isn't very useful, because it's unlikely that the new system will understand the layout of the database, so there would still be extensive rework needed to move it to the new format. The vendor you choose for the new product may be able to assist with this.

I did find a feature in the CMS program that allows you to use a copy window to paste portions of the screen to a windows clipboard.
          That is a feature of Windows, actually.

Basically, here is what I would suggest:

1. Find out where the program is storing it's data files.
          2. Determine what kind of files they are. If you share some of the filenames you find, we may be able to help determine the format being used.
          3. Cross your fingers that it's not proprietary. Some products used completely undocumented data file formats that only the company knew the details of.

4.If it's a format that is interchangable, such as ISAM, which was a common database format for DOS programs, you should be able to find a importer or exporter that can move that ISAM data into another database.

If it's proprietary, you're in a pickle. You'd need to get something custom programmed to convert from that format.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 12:31:28 PM »
          It might be possible to analyse the database file format e.g. in a hex editor and see if it can be exported, but that is paid-for programmer territory really. One thing - old MS-DOS machines don't last for ever - it might be wise to back up the database to a hard drive made in this millenium or at least one set of DVD-Rs

jupiterzeus

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 01:05:22 PM »
            Oh how I wish that were possible Salmon. The computers the company has CMS running on are from before the days of DVD-R, and they barely have CD-Rom. One of the computers is operating Windows 98 SE and the other is running Windows 95. I can't believe they let the system get this far behind and are only now thinking about updating to this millenium.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 01:08:12 PM »
            Since they have tasked you with this project i think it's time to present the alternative solutions that have been suggested...and ask them to open their checkbook...
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            « Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 01:12:13 PM »
            Oh how I wish that were possible Salmon.

CD and DVD burners work on Windows 95 and 98. (or, at least on 98). So which is more important- the data, or the $40-$50 a DVD Burner would cost?
            I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.