Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 7-zip Cannot Compress  (Read 12460 times)

Salmon Trout

Re: 7-zip Cannot Compress
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2013, 02:23:09 PM »
Pi' are round...

If you used pi to a billion places to calculate the circumference of the observable universe, the possible error would be less than an atom's width (I read somewhere). Hard to see what practical use such a number of digits would have, apart from the (definitely useful) purpose of developing computing algorithms etc.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2013, 02:26:26 PM »
If you used it to calculate a 2 inch circle the results would be the same...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Salmon Trout

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2013, 02:47:05 PM »
If you used it to calculate a 2 inch circle the results would be the same...

The error would be quite a bit less than an atom's width; less maybe than than the Planck length? I'll have to do some arithmetic... see here http://www.trans4mind.com/personal_development/JavaScript/longnumAstronomical.htm

I once read a science fiction novel in which some scientists got a message from aliens telling them to calculate pi to some large number of digits and when they did so they found a message from the creators of the universe (some much older aliens)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2013, 02:49:07 PM »
The atom's size would be the same no matter the circumference since the circle and the formula are infinite...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Salmon Trout

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2013, 03:56:35 PM »
The atom's size would be the same no matter the circumference since the circle and the formula are infinite...

I am not sure what you mean here! A circle, whether the radius is 2 inches or 150 million light years, is not infinite in any way that I understand the meaning of that word.

This is what I am saying: A 2 inch circle has a (finite) circumference. It can be approximated to by C = π x D. If you take a value of π with no decimal places (3) then the circumference comes out as 6 inches. Let us take values of π with increasing numbers of decimal places:

The circumference becomes (inches):

We are getting nearer all the time to the actual circumference (the error is getting less and less). Now if we used pi to 39 decimal places the difference between the actual diameter and the calculated figure would be very small. If the circle was 20 billion light years across, the error would be around the size of a proton (2 x 10 to the power of -15) metres. It follows that the error for a 2 inch circle would be less, in the same proportion as the ratio of 2 inches to 20 billion light years.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2013, 02:09:04 PM »