Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: May fry comp plz read  (Read 5038 times)

Austin Smith

May fry comp plz read
« on: July 19, 2004, 10:33:26 PM »
When comp first starts  up and i go into BIOS utility setup, there is an option to change my 2000Mhz to a 2667Mhz. I am wondering if a try this is if it will overheat and fry my computer. Any Imput or suggestions????

Joleen

Re: May fry comp plz read
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 05:05:08 AM »
Is there a reason why you'd want to overclock in the first place?  If your system is running fine I'd leave it.  If you want to overclock it certainly seems the bios is set up to allow it so it 'should' be safe.  You should do some research on overclocking as there could be side effects you may not have anticipated.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2004, 05:12:53 AM »
http://www.overclockers.com/

Leave overclocking to experienced people.

Joleen

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2004, 06:16:42 AM »
Raptor.. nothing wrong with experimenting if one understands the possible consequences.  That's how we become experienced.  If we all left it to those experienced, nothing would be discovered.

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2004, 06:26:45 AM »
True, but then again, if you think you will damage computer components, why not do proper research first?

For all you know, he may corrupt his CPU and blame it on us.

I am not saying he is an amateur, I am only saying that if you have very little or no knowledge at all concerning overclocking, it is best to not do so until you have learnt more.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 07:06:00 AM by Raptor »

Joleen

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2004, 08:28:36 AM »
I couldn't agree more.. research is key as per my response..
You should do some research on overclocking as there could be side effects you may not have anticipated.

;)

MalikTous

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2004, 09:50:14 AM »
If I was going to push that processor past 2200, I would invest in a nice big CPU cooler and fan and a 500W or bigger power supply, and read up on the other hints at websites like www.overclockers.com before I took it up. I would probably try to use small steps (5%) and use an active thermal monitor so the point at which the heatup of the CPU becomes a problem shows up and I can run just short of that. You may also have to adjust core voltage to keep it stable as you approach that 35% plus overclocking level you seek.