Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Frozen laptop  (Read 3951 times)

jim.mar

Topic Starter

Apprentice
  • Long in the tooth, shy between the ears
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Frozen laptop
« on: June 22, 2013, 10:47:21 AM »
My friend brought me his laptop which  is locked up or frozen..  It is an old Dell and is running windows XP.   I don't think that it is a virus.   It seems to be something wrong with XP.   When it  boots up it brings up a screensaver of an old photo.  That is the only thing showing.  No toolbar at the bottom. No START button, nothing.   The HDD indicator shows that something is going on with the drive but WHAT??   The machine will not respond to any keyboard or mouse commands except  CONT-ALT-DEL  which will bring up the task manger.   I can boot the machine in SAFE mode by clicking F8 on boot, but then I don't know what to do after that.    I have run "ckdsk" and it shows some disk errors but when I try to run "chkdsk/F"  it says the machine is "locked", and I can't unlock it.   Can anyone help me here?  It would be much appreciated.   Thanks for reading this.   GWG,   jim
You are much appreciated..     Thank you ,

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Frozen laptop
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 11:12:52 AM »
It should be chkdsk /r...
Have you attempted running it in safemode ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 08:29:54 PM »
If the drive has many errors, I'd replace the hard drive. I had a 13GB drive that had many bad sectors and even after check disk it continued to degrade. I ended up installing an 80GB IDE drive in it and all is well.

jim.mar

Topic Starter

Apprentice
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 10:31:30 AM »
DAVE:  I don't think my friend wants to go that far.

PATIO:   Thanks.   I tried chkdsk/r in the safe mode.   It took about 40 minutes but after that I was able to restor Windows to an earlier time.  (Like January).  The machine runs now but it is slower than hubs.  And it doesn't want to respond to my commands or let me create an administrator account.   Maybe I need to go  to another site to ask for further help.  What do you suggest??  Thanks again for your response.   J

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 12:44:31 PM »
Do you have a geniune MS XP CD ? ?

If so See Here...

Done properly all your data and apps will be retained....1 mistake and all will be gone but you will have a fresh XP install...so i suggest reading it thru and printing out a copy before starting...

Let us know.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

kimmyh51

Greenhorn

• 12 Years working full time in 'IT'
    • Free Software Blog
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 05:33:04 AM »
have you throught about trying something like one of the linux live cds (live cd meaning its an operating system that runs off a cd) - that would allow you to determine whether the problem is hardware or software - hopefully.

Booting into the linus os via a cd like this (as long as you dont choose to install when you log off/shut down) wont make any changes to the computer.  So unlike normally - when you have to pretty much format a hard drive  to reinstall the os (operating system), you can take Windows totally out of the equation for diagnostic purposes - without actually having to do anything to the current installation.

Try linux puppy - and you might want to try a couple of versions - in case the laptop is not compatable with one of them).  Basically you just download the file (linux puppy is also a tiny os, and very easy to run from a live disk even if you have not ever used linux before).  You can download it for free and the file size ranges from about 80 to 200mb.  You then burn that onto a CD (so you would need to have your own pc to burn the downloaded image to), stick that into your friends pc and boot it

If you can boot up into linux puppy without any issues it means that either:

The operating system is the problem
Or the hard drive is knackered.

If the hard drive is the problem, then running linux puppy from a cd rom, or a usb card, is also an option your friend could use to carry on using the pc if they dont have the money or inclination to replace the hdd.  It is pretty easy to set it up to connect to the internet, and it comes with free softwrae to do all the usual things + an app downloader (a bit like an app store but free) built in.

I used it for a month or so when the hard drive failed on a laptop I had - the laptop was under warranty but I had to ship the hdd away and wait a few weeks for a new one to be sent back.  In the meanwhile I had no hard drive in my laptop, so I plugged an 8gb usb key drive into the hard-driveless laptop and was up and browsing the web, checking my email, and all the usual stuff in minutes... 
Its also great for older pcs.  Because the entire os sits in ram, not on your hard drive its SUPER fast - its like having a new pc, compared to the speed when running windows, they run like the clappers  8).  Great for putting on old pentium 1 and 2's which wouldnt be useful for anything but a tip otherwise
  Ive added a screenshot from the website

Once you have puppy running on it, you can probably also find diagnostic tools either through the included downloader or possibly already installed - which may give you more info on whats wrong with the hard drive.

Finally - if you try and boot up a few versions of puppy on a live cd and none of them work, it may be  a sign that there is a more catastrophic hardware problem

Dont forget to go into BIOS and set the boot order to boot from CD (or usb drive - cd is easiest if the pc has a cd rom) first - else it will just boot into windows and ignore the linux puppy os.

Anyway here is the url.  Its opensource - so totally free, lots of support on the site, lots of versions,relatively small download, and easy to use.  I now sound like I am selling it lol. Im not, and have no relationship with the makers - have just used it lots over the years and find it a really nice, and useful tool for situations like this.... 

Download link here

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]
PEBKAC tends to cover most PC problems, including my own..... :-)

'If it aint broken... you'll never learn how to fix it yourself - so go ahead and break it'

Ive finally started to put all the links to my huge collection of free software online
Link removed...under review.

And, yup its actually all legal...

jim.mar

Topic Starter

Apprentice
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 10:40:22 AM »
TO ALL RESPONDEES:  Thank you for your response.  Shortlyafter my last post I became seriosly ill and spent several months in recovery.  Since then I have given the machine back to it's owner.   Thank you all for your efforts,  GBY.  JIM  :)

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 11:30:31 PM »
Glad you got problem resolved with computer and good to hear your better.