Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Poker Night 2 - Steam - Crash, only got it to work once after reboot  (Read 5618 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Bought Poker Night 2 on black friday special. After install game wouldnt run. Performed reboot and game ran. Then went to bed and woke up and wanted to play again. Computer was never shut down since last time it played ok. This time game crashes same as it did after first install. Ok lets try a reboot since that fixed it before. After reboot game still wont run. I get black screen with Loading ... and the dots after loading show 1 dot then 2 dots then 3 dots and then back to 1, 2, 3 dots and then crash.

Tried setting game to run as administrator as well as Windows XP SP3 mode, as well as Vista mode and still crashing. Also saw someone online state about unchecking community in properties of steam client for this game, and that also didnt fix it.

Anyone have this game who has solved the problem or seen a solution that works?

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
Re: Poker Night 2 - Steam - Crash, only got it to work once after reboot
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 01:25:39 PM »
Dug further into this last night. People are reporting this problem is caused by a bunch of different causes such as  USB Controllers, keyboards, mice etc, as well as some reported having the problem with one computer and not another and the system that this ran on with no problems was Intel and the system that they had problems on was AMD. Digging further into the Intel / AMD situation related to this, the Intel system was running GeForce video card while the AMD system was using AMD HD 4000 series GPU.

The bugfix for USB devices that cause this game to fail to load is to disconnect the USB device before launch of the game and then reconnect after the game is launched. My keyboard and mouse are both PS2 type and USB ports are not populated with anything to remove.

Many people complaining about this game with issues and no bug fix from the maker of the software. Someone stated that they are not putting effort into fixing Poker Night 2 because they are already developing Poker Night 2 and cant waste the resources on fixing 2.

My system is running the AMD Radeon HD 5450 Video Card, which it has no problems playing other games on. I also have the latest drivers for the videocard. I have an older GeForce 8400GS video card that I could install into this system to see if it is GPU/Driver related. I also just made a deal with my younger brother to buy his previous videocard a GeForce GTX 260 with 896MB for only $40, as for he upgraded to a $350 video card to his Core i7 system and is selling it cheap. So if it is Graphics Card AMD Drivers related, and works fine on nVidia Card and Drivers then, the long term solution will be fixed through the upgrade to the GeForce GTX 260.

Now I just need to verify that my systems power demands with the GeForce GTX 260 is ok for a 460watt PSU.

I will post back here with results of the video card GPU brand and driver swap with this game to see if it fixes it permanently or not.

Current specs of this system:

Biostar MCP6PB M2+
Athlon X2 4450B 2.3Ghz socket AM2
4GB DDR2 800Mhz Corsair XMS2
ASUS ATI Radeon HD 5450 512MB
Windows 7 32-bit Home Premium ( *3GB memory used of 4GB due to 32-bit limitation that I havent gotten around to the 64-bit upgrade yet of this system.)

This game was fun to play when it ran for the first time after the installation and reboot of the system in which the game was launched from a fresh system reboot state. But since then it wont load without the same crash error as seen in the screenshot. So it is very strange that the system did run the game ok that one time and ran well, but since then it wont run without the same crash results and nothing new was installed as well as no changes at all to the system to break its compatibility with the game.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 04:06:41 AM »
Now I just need to verify that my systems power demands with the GeForce GTX 260 is ok for a 460watt PSU.

What make & model PSU do you have?
A decent 460W will be fine with a GTX 260 and your system.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 02:54:28 PM »
Cooler Master Elite 460watt is what I am using. This is the first power supply I have ever had from that brand and it seems to be working ok. Had it for about 17 months now with no problems. Normally I have bought Thermaltake brand PSU's, but I ended up getting this one for like $24.99 on a sale with like an instant $15 off 18 months ago because I had their brand heatsinks before and they worked ok and fans didnt crap out on them, so I figured with 4 out of 5 eggs for this that it was worth a try and save some money vs buying Thermaltake for $40+

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171046

*Also I have an update to the original game issue... I installed steam client to my other gaming build which is running Windows 7 64 bit on somewhat similar hardware, and same GPU and it ran flawless for about a day, then same problem struck the day after.

Newer Build Hardware:

Biostar A960D+ AM3+ Motherboard
Athlon II x4 620 2.6Ghz
Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR3 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5450 with 1GB RAM Video Card
Windows 7 64-Bit Home Premium on 500GB SATA II HDD

So since this worked for hours the day prior, I figured I would uninstall the game and reinstall the game suspecting corruption maybe the cause and the game is like a 650MB download which is fast.

Uninstalled the game and reinstalled the game and it works again.

hmm.... so the install is getting corrupt somehow... So I copied the game folder to another location and when it messes up again I will drop a clean copy of itself overtop if the games location and see if this fixes it. If it is the fix to some sort of corruption then I will just create a quick batch file that will repopulate the games location with the clean files from the known good game state files and use that as the quick fix since obviously this is a file corruption problem from the fact that uninstalling the game that crashes repeatedly and reinstalling it fixes the game for a short while.

No where on Google searches for this have I found anyone pointing the finger to a game file corruption, although someone touched on clearing the AppCache folder in Steam Client which causes all sorts of other problems so vs wiping out that folder and creating a new folder with thet AppCache folder name that was empty, I copied the AppCache folder to another location and then created an empty folder with same name and it caused a whole different crash result. So I placed the AppCache folder and its contents back to get back to the original error, and then uninstalled the game and reinstalled it and surprise the game now works. Closed game, and relaunched it about 5 times just to see if I could get it to break and it didnt break yet. Will give it a day or two and see if the problem reappears as it has and then try the method of copying prior known good game state data overtop of the suspected corrupt install.

Everyone on Google searches seem to be pointing to it having to be run as backwards compatibility as Win 95, WinXP, Win Vista etc on Windows 7 for both 32 and 64 bit versions, as well as the checkbox to run as administrator, as well as changing properties within Steam to get it to work that have no effect on the issue.

I have been able to get the game to run with no problems when not going through this process of backwards compatibility and run as admin etc, and this game will not launch if run on anything less than Windows XP mode under Windows 7 32 or 64 bit as tested on 2 different computers.

As to why the corruption is happening, I have yet to find the file that is the culprit, but I may be able to find it by looking for files that have different date/time stamp between the game install and the copied known good install files. Then I can single out a filename maybe that has some sort of save game state etc that is written to on the closing of the game that may be getting corrupt. Then once I know what file is getting corrupt, instead of copying the entire game overtop of itself, i will try copying that one file over to the game launch location and if that works then hopefully others out there with this same exact problem will benefit from knowing which file to make a copy of and add a simple batch file to their computer as the Temporary which could be a Permanent Bug Fix for a game that has been troubled for a pretty good period of time without Tell Tale Games or Steam putting time into a Bug Fix for it.

Also I didnt get it just working again on the newer build, but also got it to work again on the older gaming build that I first reported this issue on by uninstalling the game and reinstalling it and that worked also with launching and ending game repeatedly with no problems. So I am going to give it time to show back up again and then try repopulating the installation location of Poker Night 2 from a known good state and hopefully that is a fix vs having to uninstall and reinstall the game each time this problem shows up.