Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Suggestion about VMWare  (Read 3208 times)

lucius100

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    Suggestion about VMWare
    « on: December 05, 2013, 02:46:05 AM »
    I want to run certain software in vmware , need about 10-20 virtual pc
    but currently i use 6 win xp in vmware with 128 ram and 1 core.
    My pc Spec , Core 2 Quad Q6600 with 4 gb ram , and it takes 92% of my 4gb ram.
    Is there any way to run that software with more ightweight OS ?
    the closest example i can give is running ccleaner in 1 pc, and i want to run it in 10-20 pc  :-X

I read VMWare server , VMware vcenter , vsphere, but don't know how that works  :'(
    Hope someone understand this question  ;D ;D

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Suggestion about VMWare
    « Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 09:30:06 AM »
    What is the host OS? 

Why do you need 6 win xp in VMware?   

How many VM (virtual machines) do you need, or think you need, to run at the same time?

What does the following sentence mean?:
    My pc Spec , Core 2 Quad Q6600 with 4 gb ram , and it takes 92% of my 4gb ram.
    Do you mean your host OS, running alone, consumes 92% of memory?  4GB of RAM is a rather low amount of physical RAM for what you're trying to do.

the closest example i can give is running ccleaner in 1 pc, and i want to run it in 10-20 pc
    I could be wrong but I believe you would need to install CCleaner, or any app, in each of the VM's. 

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 01:09:02 PM »
    I could be wrong but I believe you would need to install CCleaner, or any app, in each of the VM's.

I don't think you're wrong on this...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

lucius100

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 09:57:48 PM »
      What is the host OS? 

Why do you need 6 win xp in VMware?   

How many VM (virtual machines) do you need, or think you need, to run at the same time?

What does the following sentence mean?:Do you mean your host OS, running alone, consumes 92% of memory?  4GB of RAM is a rather low amount of physical RAM for what you're trying to do.

My host OS is Win 7
      If possible i need about 10-15 Win xp in vmware .
      And yes i only have 4gb ram ,
      install ccleaner in each vm is the example , i and my friends want to  test some programs that we create ourselves and it's light weight as ccleaner only  ;D ;D
      so it's not possible with 4 gb ram ?

at first we try with sandboxie and the program itself is conflict with each other, so we use vmware, and it works great but it consume more resource than we expected  :'(

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 09:52:52 AM »
      If possible i need about 10-15 Win xp in vmware .
      Do you want to run all of them at the same time?  That will either work very poorly or not at all.  Back in 2011, I had a VM for Linux Ubuntu installed on my old Pentium 4 with 4GB of RAM and running even that one VM would get a bit sluggish if I simultaneously had several programs, including a browser with multiple taps, open in Windows 7 and then switching back and forth between Win 7 and Ubuntu.  So, if I wanted to mainly use Ubuntu for awhile, closing open programs in Win 7 worked best. 

So, if you're thinking of running 10-15 Win xp in vmware all at the same time, I'd say forget it.  I'm sure you will have to limit the running of VM's to 1 or 2 at a time, for all practical purposes.