Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows won't start. Computer only displays in black and green.  (Read 3709 times)

adalin94

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Windows won't start. Computer only displays in black and green.
    « on: December 03, 2013, 04:56:13 AM »
    My boyfriend built a computer for me about a year ago. All new parts. It is runs windows vista 64. I have never had problems with it until recently. For the past couple of weeks when my computer goes into sleep mode from inactivity, it is able to start up but does not display anything on the monitor.  When it does this, I shut it down by holding the power button, leave it for at least 30 seconds, and turn it back on. When starting up it prompts me to either start normally or go into safe mode. I always just start normally. Now when I try to start my computer everything is displayed in green and black. It claims windows will not start and prompts me to start normally or go into safe mode, but neither works. Not sure at all what is happening.

WhiteyB

Rookie

• Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Windows won't start. Computer only displays in black and green.
    « Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 02:19:13 PM »
    Hello there, do you happen to have the windows vista installation CD? there is a "start up repair" option within the cd when you boot from it..
    90% of the time, it's the user NOT the computer.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 04:37:18 PM »
    Turn off sleep mode and all other Windows power saving settings...they don't work in general.
    If you are gonna be away from the PC for an extended period just power it down.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

WhiteyB

Rookie

• Yes
    « Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 05:32:26 PM »
    It claims windows will not start and prompts me to start normally or go into safe mode, but neither works. Not sure at all what is happening.

How exactly is she suppose to turn off any "power save mode(s)" when she said windows wont start in normal or safe mode?
    90% of the time, it's the user NOT the computer.

PCdoc

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    « Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 09:00:18 PM »
    My boyfriend built a computer for me about a year ago. All new parts. It is runs windows vista 64. I have never had problems with it until recently. For the past couple of weeks when my computer goes into sleep mode from inactivity,
    How do you try to wake up your comp from sleep mode? For the green color, do you have a graphics card installed?

adalin94

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 10:55:25 AM »
      Hello there, do you happen to have the windows vista installation CD? there is a "start up repair" option within the cd when you boot from it..
      WhiteyB: My boyfriend tried using the installation disc the other day, but it did not work at all.

How do you try to wake up your comp from sleep mode? For the green color, do you have a graphics card installed?
      PCdoc: I wake my computer up by moving the mouse or clicking a key on the keyboard and waiting for it to power up.

PCdoc

Hopeful

• Yes
      « Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 08:25:10 PM »
      Can you take a pic of the screen when it appears in green and black and post it here?

cengbrecht

Beginner

• Yes
        • Memory Express
      « Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 03:23:44 PM »
      My boyfriend built a computer for me about a year ago. All new parts. It is runs windows vista 64. I have never had problems with it until recently. For the past couple of weeks when my computer goes into sleep mode from inactivity, it is able to start up but does not display anything on the monitor.  When it does this, I shut it down by holding the power button, leave it for at least 30 seconds, and turn it back on. When starting up it prompts me to either start normally or go into safe mode. I always just start normally. Now when I try to start my computer everything is displayed in green and black. It claims windows will not start and prompts me to start normally or go into safe mode, but neither works. Not sure at all what is happening.

Sounds like your harddrive could be failing, Run a RAM and HDD test on the computer first. I have seen issues with restoring from Sleep due to HDD failure quite often.
      E=mc˛ -- Who knows if this applies, but hey everyone will think I am smart now!