Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC to HDTV (What hookup do I need??)  (Read 2924 times)

joshm662

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    PC to HDTV (What hookup do I need??)
    « on: December 08, 2013, 10:42:00 PM »
    I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum for this question, but I used my best judgement.

Anyways, I have an older PC... I mean, REAL old. A Dell Dimension E520 that runs Windows XP. It's a great PC and I have kept it in great shape by formatting the hard drive once a year and only keeping important files on it while keeping other things on my portable HD. Anyways, I'd love to be able to play the movies I've downloaded on my HDTV. So, what's the best connection to use? I've got USB ports on this PC, obviously and my TV is a brand new 51 inch Samsung with USB and HDMI ports.

Can anyone suggest what I should buy so I can make my flatscreen my new PC monitor, basically? I'd really appreciate ANY help. I'm looking for the best possible transfer/screen quality so let me know what to look for at my local store or possibly online (Amazon?). Thanks a lot guys!

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: PC to HDTV (What hookup do I need??)
    « Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 11:51:34 PM »
    Your Dell desktop has one VGA as built-in and a PCI express slot for a video card that atleast have an HDMI output. It's either you would use the VGA to HDMI converter (if the samsung TV doesn't come with a VGA slot) or buy a video card with HDMI without replacing the 300 watts power supply.

Pentium

Rookie

• Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 04:03:25 PM »
    Yep...i agree

Just use the VGA to plug it in to your tv....if your tv has hdmi then it most likely has VGA
    Or you can buy a video card like jason2074 said... but i dont know if you want to spend money on your old computer.

VGA

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]
    "Victory belongs to the most persevering."-Napoleone Buonaparte

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 04:44:45 PM »
    Noone has mentioned how junky the results are gonna be with that older PC/Card...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "