Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Serious slowdown issues  (Read 3153 times)

Kairu1992

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Serious slowdown issues
    « on: December 14, 2013, 11:25:41 AM »
    Hi guys I hope someone here can help I have had my laptop for nearly 2 years and have always had some sort off issue or another with it but never one Iv been unable to fix up until recently the laptop has been experiencing major slowdown to the point where it cannot even display the control-alt-delete menu screen and instead just shows an error box I have tried multiple things such as safe mode restarts in which it seems to be fine, winsock resets and much more. I think I may has narrowed it down to my wireless card or maybe it's software which Iv had problems with intel my wifi in the past but I am not sure as I have tried safe mode with networking and I am faced with the same level of slowdown although on both modes I see no fluctuations of CPU output. I hope you guys can help because I'm stumped as to I'm going to do next and I really don't want to completely reset my laptop.                                                                                   My specs are as follows: windows 7: service pack 1. Model: dell xps l702x  Processor:Intel core i7-260qm 2.20GHz RAM:8.00GB System type: 64 bit  Graphics card: Nvidia GT-555m  Wireless card: Intel centurion advanced-N 6230.       Thank you for your time. (emails also welcomed)

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Serious slowdown issues
    « Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 11:29:27 AM »
    First thing you need to do is use punctuation please. Your post is almost indecipherable.

Second, you say you've always had problems with the system. What sort of problems?

And let's start by running full scans with BOTH your anti virus app and with MalwareBytes

Kairu1992

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 12:05:46 PM »
      Hi thanks for the fast reply, and sorry about the punctuation I'm using my iPhone to type so I forget. Some of the issues I have faced before include mainly my wireless card, some of the issues I have faced include my laptop not revising the cards software, software clashes with Intel my wifi and the dell wifi manager that I had installed, my laptop not registering that I have a wireless card at all and also the odd graphics card issues which have been sorted out with driver updates and various patches.    Also I have run scans on my security software for which I have kaspersky Internet security and have found no problems I will try to get onto my PC ASAP and run a malwarebytes scan and will update with more info when I do, thank you again.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 09:17:52 AM »
      The 2nd Post isn't much of an improvement...Travel to the laptop manuf. site and DLoad all required drivers and re-install them.
      Chipset drivers 1st...then re-boot then install all others.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

techjunk

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 06:58:48 PM »
        i tend to use a hammer to smash a flea......so for computer problems i just pretty much cant live with i tend to just do a fresh OS install and wipe the drive or use a new drive and start over....adding drivers and software slowly while doing copious reboots and basic benchmarks of the user experience (how smooth it opens and runs things, etc)   I know its not very scientific....but there is actually by some accounts something called 'OS rot'....google it if you like....and the premise is basically that the longer you have an OS installed on your drive the less performance over time you will experience with your computer notwithstanding all the proper maintenance you do.  So....you can spend a day or two ...or more...sorting out your various and sundry issues...or you can backup your stuff....and reinstall in a couple hours.....i like the latter option for myself :)

good luck!

PCdoc

Hopeful

• Yes
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 12:14:11 AM »
        So....you can spend a day or two ...or more...sorting out your various and sundry issues...or you can backup your stuff....and reinstall in a couple hours.....i like the latter option for myself :)
        No, I don't agree with you. If the OP had to start a fresh, I hope he understands this by himself and would not want to come to our forums asking for help. According to me, formatting should be the last option if nothing works. If scanning with antiviruses and installing drivers etc can fix this, why would any one format the drive/partition for such a small problem? Also, I don't agree with your statement that
        and the premise is basically that the longer you have an OS installed on your drive the less performance over time you will experience with your computer notwithstanding all the proper maintenance you do.
        As an example, my home computer is running great without any problems, it has 80GB PATA hard disk. I have NOT formatted the hard drive since like last 4-5 years. Until recently the hard drive had some problem with its circuit board. Till then it was functioning great without any problems.