Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 2 PSUs dead  (Read 2743 times)

Kurasii

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
    2 PSUs dead
    « on: December 15, 2013, 04:35:23 PM »
    Ok the full story:

There was a fire in my apartment building this past week, and after being evacuated they shut off the power (several times I'd assume) for safety reasons. After a few days of not being allowed in, I come home and try to turn on my computer... nothing. Won't turn on. After wiggling some stuff around, it does turn on, but only for about 30 seconds. Try turning it back on again, nothing. So I opened it up, cleaned it for good measure, and wiggled some more stuff around. Try to turn it on, and it goes, but then turns off after 30 seconds. After that time, no matter how much I played with it, it wouldn't turn on. Sometime during that there was this brief burning dust/electrical smell that occured, so I figured it was the PSU. I asked some friends and they all say it's probably the PSU.

So I went to the store today, and picked up a cheapo PSU to try. It's 465w, the old PSU was 650w.
    I plug the new PSU in and it works right away, everything looks good, sounds great. It ran for about 30 minutes then it randomly shuts off. I did have a temperature monitor on and I didn't notice anything strange. Once again, there is a brief burning smell. Now my computer won't turn on with the new PSU either.

I figured the old PSU was fried during the power outages, I could understand that. But why did this new one die? Did my PC break it because of not enough wattage? I had the old PSU for about a year. The computer is custom made, not by me. I don't understand why my PC appears to be killing PSUs?

I wasn't allowed into my house for about 4 days after the fire, and I thought I got off without anything happening, but my beloved PC is unusable :(

PC specs:
    Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0
    CPU: AMD FX-6100 at 3.3Ghz
    RAM: 8GB
    Video: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7770 OC 1GB
    PSU: RIP

PCdoc

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: 2 PSUs dead
    « Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 10:00:41 PM »
    IMO you should get it checked out of the apartment. Not using apartment wall socket. May be friend's place or from a store. Also, take out the graphics card and unplug all other devices like hdd, cd drive. Run the comp only with cpu, motherboard and ofcourse psu. Not even RAM. Check if it runs for more than 30 seconds as you mentioned?? Ensure you dont have any spike guard or extention boards between computer and wall socket.
    Also check for blown capacitors on the motherboard.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 02:43:08 AM »
    What make & model PSUs are we talking about here?
    Sounds like the old one died due to the power outages, the new one may have just been a bad unit - either low quality, or faulty.

jefrey

Rookie
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 05:35:38 PM »
      it could have a short circuit inside the box check your motherboard