Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Menue Key? Windows Vista is the Software Purchased & May have update to Windows  (Read 3609 times)

mommanancy

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    I first must apologize for my lack of basic intelligence! When I purchased my laptop & all my equiptment for the desktop (over $5000.00) in 2009 I was at the top of my game...4 days later & a minor car accident the dreaded M.S. came back w/a vengence & I loose brain cells practically every minute! Once a scholar now a minor...but I keep on trucking...so anywho...when the google folks tell me on my gmail that I need to disable the compatibility mode by holding down the alt key (I know what this is) and the menue button...hummm, that is where I am lost...is that the start button? And please know I did try reading thru your dictionary & other info but unless it is simple & pretty much right in front of me I get so frustrated I wind up quitting. i was sold the vista home premium by the big box store & promised an upgrade to windows 8 in 1.5 months but alas the accident & 4 days after purchase all was packed away for just over a year and then when I called them they told me it was past the time for the free upgrade ^& I'd have to purchase the software. So I am not sure if ther is free software that is good out there or not....again, kind of lost. Still re-newing my Norton at about $100 a year & wondering if I am being burnt on that too? Now on disability that $100 could sure go to better use if there is free security software out there.  So many thanks to any & all who read this and don't think me a fool, I am truly trying very hard to hold on & not expose myself to users & abusers, (trust me they are everywhere) and have bankrupted me! Many Blessing for your attempt to help folks! MommaNancy

Salmon Trout

On a Windows desktop PC keyboard, the menu key is in the row of keys nearest the front, to the right of the space bar. Not every keyboard has one.

As for free Windows security software, Microsoft's own "Microsoft Security Essentials" is enough for very many people, including me. Google for it. Stop paying that money to Norton.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    The big box store couldn't have promised a Free upgrade to Win8 as it wasn't even out when they were still selling Vista PC's...

However it won't hurt to contact MS and explain what you were promised...they'll probably upgrade you to Win 7...which is fine for no charge as long as you provide all the pertinent purchase info as the deal was between the Big Box retailers and Microsoft...i'd bet they will honor the commitment.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    The other thing about your status is google should work absolutely fine on a Vista PC and i'm confused as to why they would suggest anything to do with Compatibility Mode at all...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

mommanancy

Topic Starter

Starter

Again, my apology! Any as usual the person who replied is correct! The purchase was on 7/5/2009 and it was windows 7 that was the upgrade promised by Best Buy. Please understand I do not blame them for the mishap of my missing th upgrade, it was not their fault that a short 4 days passed & I was out of commission....they were very co-operative when I took the printer in for service after only printing 75 pages and it failed. Seemed it was the one thing I did not buy the extended service on, they did offer me $75 credit toward anything in the store, including a new printer since the original one couldf not be fixed, printers apparently can not be stored for a year then brought back out with new ink & expected to preform like new (to my cox plete surprise & my wallets saddness). This time I bought online through H.P. and the warranty cost nearly as much as the printer but has a 24 hour turn around promise fix or new one at your door and they have been very good at their service agreement. My confusion with the keys is on my H.P Pavillion dx Laptop which I am able to use via my bed or easy chair with great comfort to this point. I have had the desk top repaired with a new mother board & one or two other tweeks from them as well, and I know all will think this is money thrown away and i should have just replaced the tower, but to a novice like myself you have to understand....this was a brand new purchase, the day I bought this computer the entire store was all excited as this item had only came in that day & was the "TOP OF THE LINE, FASTEST, NEWEST, & HOTEST ITEM ON THE MAKET" as I mentioned earlier....that was a much smarter, much more savy MommaNancy who did a lot of research, asked many questions of those more qualified then myself and didn't buy expensive electronics on a whim. So after a year long recovery & feeling like I had enough brain power to at least begin to start to enter the world of technology again, I wanted the use of the items I at least felt I had some knowledge of. So when after only a couple of weeks problems began it made sense to me to fix the hardware rather then buy new. So please take these things into consideration before answering any questions, I will never mislead you on purpose, I may get confused, may have issues with finding the words to describe what I need to say, but am so very grateful that people like yourself exist to assist myself & others as it is so very hard getrting help otherwise. (and if you are thinking classes....no ...it is either normal people or severe disability, nothing in between like me...and it is so embarrassing when grandchildren age 7--12 know more then their once employee of the year at a fortune 500 company. Be Blessed, and never stop dancing :-)

mommanancy

Topic Starter

Starter

Again, my apology! Any as usual the person who replied is correct! The purchase was on 7/5/2009 and it was windows 7 that was the upgrade promised by Best Buy. Please understand I do not blame them for the mishap of my missing th upgrade, it was not their fault that a short 4 days passed & I was out of commission....they were very co-operative when I took the printer in for service after only printing 75 pages and it failed. Seemed it was the one thing I did not buy the extended service on, they did offer me $75 credit toward anything in the store, including a new printer since the original one couldf not be fixed, printers apparently can not be stored for a year then brought back out with new ink & expected to preform like new (to my cox plete surprise & my wallets saddness). This time I bought online through H.P. and the warranty cost nearly as much as the printer but has a 24 hour turn around promise fix or new one at your door and they have been very good at their service agreement. My confusion with the keys is on my H.P Pavillion dx Laptop which I am able to use via my bed or easy chair with great comfort to this point. I have had the desk top repaired with a new mother board & one or two other tweeks from them as well, and I know all will think this is money thrown away and i should have just replaced the tower, but to a novice like myself you have to understand....this was a brand new purchase, the day I bought this computer the entire store was all excited as this item had only came in that day & was the "TOP OF THE LINE, FASTEST, NEWEST, & HOTEST ITEM ON THE MAKET" as I mentioned earlier....that was a much smarter, much more savy MommaNancy who did a lot of research, asked many questions of those more qualified then myself and didn't buy expensive electronics on a whim. So after a year long recovery & feeling like I had enough brain power to at least begin to start to enter the world of technology again, I wanted the use of the items I at least felt I had some knowledge of. So when after only a couple of weeks problems began it made sense to me to fix the hardware rather then buy new. So please take these things into consideration before answering any questions, I will never mislead you on purpose, I may get confused, may have issues with finding the words to describe what I need to say, but am so very grateful that people like yourself exist to assist myself & others as it is so very hard getrting help otherwise. (and if you are thinking classes....no ...it is either normal people or severe disability, nothing in between like me...and it is so embarrassing when grandchildren age 7--12 know more then their once employee of the year at a fortune 500 company. Be Blessed, and never stop dancing :-)
        ][/[/i]glow]