Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Confused about building a new system?  (Read 2790 times)

MrZand5

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Confused about building a new system?
    « on: December 20, 2013, 10:31:07 AM »
    Hello,

I am thinking of building a new gaming computer for my son, which i have never attempted before, so I would like some help with the parts, I have read the reviews but they are like mandarin for me just words with no meaning so I would love some help from the people who know more than me about the parts.

Trying to keep it under £600 (GBP)

My Son would like it to be able to play battlefield 4 and high end games pretty well and able to record for YouTube. He does not need a sound card as he just uses onboard sound to an amp to speakers. And no need for a Operating system as he has Windows 7 already

Thanks

Zach

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Confused about building a new system?
    « Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 02:55:17 PM »
    600 GBP is about $978 USD as of writing this.

Here is info on cards tested with this game in beta, and this is a good reference for the released game to whow which were better or worse etc. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-4-graphics-card-performance,3634-3.html

Also minimum system requirements found on google for this game are: Quadcore CPU, 4GB RAM, DirectX 11, and video card with 512MB Video RAM andAMD Radeon HD 3870 or nVidia GeForce 8800GT or better. *System below is beyond minimum requirements to play game.

Building a computer for the first time can be tricky and risky. As a suggestion, I'd suggest buying one off the shelf and adding a powerful video card and more powerful power supply to it, as for this way if you run into troubles you can simply return the computer and get another after removing video card and putting other power supply (PSU) back into it to send it back as original defective under usually a 1 year warranty.

Building a system from the ground up if you have any problems you will have to deal with many different companies and varying RMA support processes to send parts back when there are problems etc, as well as buying an off the shelf name brand you know that the hardware other than video card and power supply are an engineered match and not a pieced together gaming rig in which sometimes you can run into problems.

Here is a suggestion below if you want a gaming rig that will play this game with no problems out of the box and save you some money as well. However I would swap out the PSU unit at the get go for a better power supply because I dont really like 500 watt power supplies for a gaming build. I'd suggest replacing it right off with a 650 watt PSU. This system also allows room to expand later if you want a more powerful CPU, more RAM, or better video card down the road. It also has that gaming rig look to it vs just a regular computer tower. Its specs are beyond the minimum system requirements for Battlefield 4 and it comes with a 1 year warranty. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229285  My brother bought a similar gaming system and he has had good luck with it not having to make any modifications to play Crysis 3 etc. His time of ownership is about 18 months and he uses it every day for many hours of use.

Here is the PSU I'd go with for this system: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

This system + 650 watt PSU can be purchased for around 390.77 (GBP) or $636.96 (USD) ... you also would be essentially building it partially since it will be built custom with a better stronger power supply than the cheap PSU that comes with it. This is a bargain Gaming Build and they probably should have gone with a better PSU than try to shave off an extra $20 off the sticker price etc. ** Also with this build you do not need to buy a powerful video card for the build because it already comes with one that is powerful enough to play the game well as part of the system purchase.

Below are system specs and the most important are the fact that this motherboard is the AM3+ with FX CPU support for the FX-4xxx ( 4-core ) and so it should support the FX-6xxx series ( 6 core ) and FX-8xxx series ( 8-core ) CPU upgrade of the future as well as the motherboard can take 16GB RAM, and with PCIe 16x you can throw just about any video card into this build and get many years of gaming out of it and are not buying into a build that has limited upgrade options.

Brand                                   CyberpowerPC
    Model                                   Gamer Ultra 2098 (GU2098)
    Type                                     Gaming & Entertainment
    Processor                             AMD FX-4300 3.8GHz
    Processor Main Features      64 bit Quad-Core Processor
    Cache Per Processor            4MB L2 Cache
    Memory                                8GB DDR3 1333
    Hard Drive                            500GB SATA II 3.0Gb/s 7200RPM
    Optical Drive                        24x DVD+/-R, +/-RW Dual Layer Drive
    Graphics                              AMD Radeon R7 240 2GB
    AudioSound card -               Integrated
    Ethernet                              Gigabit Ethernet
    Power Supply                      500W
    Keyboard                             USB Gaming Keyboard
    Mouse                                 USB Gaming Mouse
    Operating System               Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
    Special Features                  AZZA Orion Gaming CaseCPU
    CPU Type                             AMD FX-Series
    CPU Speed                           FX-4300(3.80GHz)
    L2 Cache Per CPU               4MB
    L3 Cache Per CPU               4MB
    CPU Socket Type                 AM3+
    CPU Main Features              64 bit Quad-Core ProcessorGraphics
    GPU/VGA Type                     AMD Radeon R7 240 2GB Memory
    Memory Capacity                8GB DDR3
    Memory Speed                    DDR3 1333
    Memory Spec                      4GB x 2
    Memory Slot (Total)             2
    Maximum Memory Supported 16GB
    Hard Drive HDD Capacity    500GB
    HDD Interface                     SATA II
    HDD RPM                            7200rpm
    Optical Drive Type              DVD±RW
    Optical Drive Spec              24x DVD+/-R, +/-RW Dual Layer Drive
    Audio Chipset                    Integrated
    Audio Channels                 7.1 Ch AudioCommunications
    LAN Chipset                       Integrated
    LAN Speed                        10/100/1000Mbps
    Front Panel Ports
    Front USB2
    Back Panel Ports
    PS/2
    Video Ports                       1 VGA, 1 DVI, 1 HDMI
    Rear USB                           6 ports
    RJ45                                  1 port
    Rear Audio Ports               Yes
    PCI Slots (Available/Total) 1x PCI-e 16x
                                              1x PCI-e 1x
                                              1x PCI
    Mouse Type                       USB MouseKeyboard
    Keyboard Type                  USB KeyboardPhysical Spec
    Dimensions                       20.00" x 17.00" x 7.5"
    Weight                              30.6 lbs.

Warranty:
    Limited Warranty period (parts): 1 year
    Limited Warranty period (labor): 1 year

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Confused about building a new system?
    « Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 06:02:24 PM »
    I'd disagree with the idea of buying something premade and then upgrading it, you will basically end up wasting perfectly good parts and spending extra money that you don't need.  It also sort of defeats the whole point of building a PC and you still run the risk of getting low quality parts in the premade system.

For a build in your price range I'd recommend something along the lines of the following, it should come in at just over £600 if you shop around:

• CPU: AMD FX-6300
    • Motherboard: Something from Gigabyte or ASUS with an AM3+ Socket (Such as a Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P)
    • RAM: 8gb DDR3 (2x4gb sticks) - Cheapest you can find really that is at least 1600MHz
    • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 760 or a AMD Radeon R9 270x
    • HDD: Whatever size you need (I'd recommend a 1tb 7200rpm Seagate Drive)
    • Power Supply: Anything above 500w is fine but get a good quality unit (I'd suggest the XFX Core Edition 550w) - Despite what was said above, 550w is absolutely tonnes for this build and this is a very good quality power supply so should last a long time.
    • DVD Drive (If desired): Just get the cheapest one, you probably won't use it much nowadays
    • OS: Windows 8.1 (You can save money and get an "OEM" licence, just bear in mind that this cannot be moved to a new motherboard if you replace it in the future)
    • Case: Just get something that your son likes the look of and in an ATX size.  Just remember that cheap, unbranded cases can be pretty poorly made so it's a good idea to spend a decent bit on a nice case.
    That machine above would be a great value gaming machine for the price and has plenty of potential for future upgrades if needed.