Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Mouse troubles  (Read 7839 times)

Kotenku

Mouse troubles
« on: October 22, 2005, 11:51:30 AM »
Hope this is in the right place.

My computer is a few years old, from back around the time Windows XP was brand new and 1.8 GhZ were considered top of the line. (I'm not certain how long ago that was, should probably find out sometime.)

For a while it was situated in the Kitchen, and I had no computer to myself in my room. However, last year around March, the computer was moved into my room. It is no longer using the Gateway mouse it came with (An optical), nor the keyboard. Instead it's using an old IBM keyboard that I like because it doesn't have the annoying Start menu pop-up button. In addition, it's using a PS/2 mouse manufactured by Hewlett Packard.

Since I began using the mouse and keyboard, I've had nothing but problems.

If the computer shuts down, and doesn't utilize the Restart option when shutting down. (ie, like if the computer crashes, or I shut it down during vacation), on reboot, it displays the message "Keyboard not found... press F4 to continue" message, then continues with the startup.

Once fully started up, if I press any key on the keyboard whatsoever, the mouse freezes and I can no longer input through either the keyboard or mouse.

So, I have to force the computer to shut down, and then reboot. I've managed to figure out, that if I get the keyboard not found message on startup, if I restart the computer (that is, hit Start > Shut Down Computer > Restart) it reboots fine, and the keyboard is found and I can type and everything.

So that's not quite a huge deal, but it's still a nuisance.

In addition however, the mouse behaves erratically on it's own.

With completely random intervals, from no stimuli I can clearly identify, the cursor will randomly "twitch" around the screen. Often, I'll lose use of the wheel, which is a tell tale sign of what happens next.

Some seconds, minutes, or even hours after the wheel becomes unresponsive, the cursor will run around the left and top sides of the screen, "clicking" wildly, often closing any programs I have open, and destroying things I'm working on.  I've found I can often limit the damage by lifting the mouse up off of the desk, and allowing the process to end, without moving the cursor much more. (It still seems to reply to the ball moving, only it magnifies tiny movements to move the cursor almost all the way across the screen, it's as if it becomes super motion sensitive for a time.)

About 40% of the time after these "spasms" The mouse will completely cease to move. Sometimes, if I unplug and plug the mouse back in repeatedly, I can get it working again. Other times I have to restart the computer using the task manager. (the keyboard continues to respond after the mouse freezes in this case.)

I've considered updating my drivers, and have searched for some time for the proper drivers for my mouse. I've been able to find close matches, but never the actual thing, so I've been reluctant in downloading and installing them. Especially because I'm very ignorant in the use of drivers, and am frightened to death over anything that might mess my computer up. I'm pretty short on money, I don't really have the option of buying a new one, nor do I really want to.

I'm not certain what numbers to give for the mouse. On the bottom in the top left it shows as follows.

"(HP logo) P/N 5185-1212 Rev. E MODEL P8131"

I do have access to the old keyboard that came with the computer, and I may be able to get the old mouse, if you think that will help. Unfortunately, that will leave someone else without a mouse, so I'm reluctant to do so.

Any help at all would be GREATLY appreciated, I'm fed up with these issues.

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Mouse troubles
    « Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 02:49:39 PM »
    I suspect you have a Gateway trimmed down version of XP, what does it say on the XP box?

Is your XP uptodate with SP2?

Just to level the field....

Free online virus scan
    http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/activescan/ascan_1.asp

Free online spyware scan
    http://www.pandasoftware.com/spyxposer/pavspy1.asp
    « Last Edit: October 22, 2005, 06:11:49 PM by Fed »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 02:51:00 PM »
    I would simply purchase a new mouse...i highly recommend Logitech, one of the best and not too pricey.

patio.  8)
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Kotenku

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2005, 03:00:51 PM »
    Yes, I'm using a Gateway, with XP.

I don't have the XP box though, and I don't know what SP2 is.

As for the virus/spyware scans, I'm not going to bother. I don't think the problems are connected to either. They started immediately after moving the tower and switching the keyboard/mouse out.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005, 03:34:35 PM »
    <<As for the virus/spyware scans, I'm not going to bother. I don't think the problems are connected to either.>>

Many people say this and are wrong (about a lot of their problems). It's free, it takes a minute, and may help something else if not this.

What's the prob?

Fed

• Sage
      « Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 03:56:12 PM »
      As for the virus/spyware scans, I'm not going to bother. I don't think the problems are connected to either.

Neither do I but I'd rather know for sure.
      Good luck with it.  :)

Kotenku

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005, 04:44:20 PM »
      The problem is largely the fact that I've used an online virus scanner before, and when I did, it took 6 hours, slowing the computer down the whole way.

I'll give it a shot, though I already know I have way more threats than Norton Antivirus ever cared to tell me about. Threats I can't realistically do anything about without going insane in the process.

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2005, 04:50:38 PM »
      Re-boot pc......hold down the f8 key......chose safe mode from the list.........now go to the control panel........now click the admin tools icon...........then click the events logs.....list what it tells you......mouse/keyboard in compatable?

Kotenku

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2005, 05:44:46 PM »
      My computer has AIDS.

126 Spyware, 3 Other threats. I'll run the virus scan in a minute and post back after.

(No, I don't use IE, I switched to Mozilla when I moved the computer, though it's possible the spyware is from before the move.)

Kotenku

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2005, 05:54:23 PM »
      Or not. Both links lead to the same place.

Fed

• Sage
        « Reply #10 on: October 22, 2005, 06:00:59 PM »
        You're right, they must have changed it. ???
        Previously it was two dedicated scanners, one for viruses & one for spyware.
        « Last Edit: October 22, 2005, 06:01:24 PM by Fed »

Fed

• Sage
          « Reply #11 on: October 22, 2005, 06:04:16 PM »
          Check the top right hand corner for the activescan link.
          (the pink link)

Fed

• Sage
            « Reply #12 on: October 22, 2005, 06:13:23 PM »
            I have edited both of the above links to go directly to the appropriate page.

GX1_Man

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2005, 06:56:25 PM »
            My computer has AIDS.

126 Spyware, 3 Other threats. I'll run the virus scan in a minute and post back after.

(No, I don't use IE, I switched to Mozilla when I moved the computer, though it's possible the spyware is from before the move.)

So much for the "I don't have spyware" theory.

Ad Aware, Spybot and AVG Free Edition for you. They are all free but you've got to update and use. How is the original problem now?

Kotenku

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2005, 07:11:52 PM »
            I never said I don't have spyware...

I already have Ad-Aware and Spybot, what is AVG?

As for the problem, today it's been even worse than usual. I've had to reboot two times now, and the cursor is very twitchy and annoying. Jumping randomly across the screen or becoming very slow and insensitive to movement, dragging across the screen.

GX1_Man

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2005, 07:23:04 PM »
            I never said I don't have spyware...

<<<As for the virus/spyware scans, I'm not going to bother. I don't think the problems are connected to either.>>>>

I guess I misunderstood.

And then you said:

126 Spyware, 3 Other threats were found.

_______________________________________ _

Just put the original mouse and keyboard back then, and see what happens.

Are you watching, Fed?

Fed

• Sage
              « Reply #16 on: October 22, 2005, 07:24:40 PM »
               :)

Kotenku

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2005, 08:58:48 PM »
              This is getting intolerable. Mouse froze up, rebooted, and it was still frozen afterward. Had to reboot afterward. Don't know if it's gonna keep doing that, but I don't think I'll be able to stand it if it does.

GX1_Man

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2005, 10:12:43 PM »
              How about a nice format and reinstall of Windows? That will solve most Windows problems for a while.

do you have a legal copy of XP to reload? Or a product recovery CD?

Fed

• Sage
                « Reply #19 on: October 23, 2005, 12:31:09 AM »
                Is your mouse plugged into the correct port.
                Don't just say 'yes'.
                Check it out.

GX1_Man

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2005, 12:41:43 AM »
                My computer has...126 Spyware, 3 Other threats......

<<I already have Ad-Aware and Spybot, what is AVG?

If both of these things are true, and you said them, then the Ad Aware and Spybot were NOT being updated and used correctly. That's a fact. Check the current version with what you had and do the updates when reinstalled and at least weekly. That is what you need to improve on when you get up and running again.

AVG Free is at:

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

at the bottom of the page.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2005, 12:55:26 AM »
                  Kotenku.....ROTFLMAO..........this thread is too funny......
                  So your mouse doesnt work..........go and buy another one.....or open up that one and clean it out ........
                  This is getting intolerable. Mouse froze up, rebooted
                   Is it close to a open window ....if so close the window . Does it cough or have a runny nose .
                  I don't have the XP box though, and I don't know what SP2 is.
                  ....SP2 is service pack 2 for win XP ........and if you havent got it ....go to windows update site and get it along with all the other updates you may not have .....

Perhaps it might be to your advantage to simply format the pc and then do a clean install of XP .....
                  Some how I suspect theres more going on with this pc than you realise .

dl65  ::)
                  If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

GX1_Man

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2005, 01:02:10 AM »
                  <<.......this thread is too funny......
                  So your mouse doesnt work..........go and buy another one.....or open up that one and clean it out ........

Quote:This is getting intolerable. Mouse froze up, rebooted  

Is it close to a open window ....if so close the window . Does it cough or have a runny nose . >>>

DL65, now you're getting it. Are you ready to call Fed yet to end this mouse crisis?  :o :o :o :o

Matt Mc

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2005, 12:38:59 PM »
                  I am having exactly the same problems.

My old computer is now unusable thanks to this mouse problem and now for some unknown reason, my laptop is suffering the same problems.

I do not use the same mouse I used on my old computer, but thankfully I have a touchpad.

I tried absolutely everything to fix my old computer but nothing ever came close to working.

It is really beginning to get on my nerves now :(.

Pleas heeeeelp me, as I have so much work to do...

GX1_Man

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2005, 12:56:27 PM »
                  Mouse Virus, methinks.

merlin_2

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2005, 02:32:12 PM »
                  Damaged/corupted graphics card driver..........over-heating pc?  pc does not like old hardware/keyboard/mouse.

download sisoftsandra............and run diagnosics........

Kotenku

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2005, 02:08:46 PM »
                  If only it were overheating.

My computer has in fact been getting overheated, due to a burnt out fan. It's been replaced, but the problems persist.

Checking Event viewer, I've been getting several errors on startup  sourcing in "cdrom"

The error is this: The device, \Device\CdRom0, has a bad block.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I don't know if it's related.

GX1_Man

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2005, 06:32:43 PM »
                  Mouse and CDROM are an unlikely link.

Kotenku

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2005, 08:36:45 PM »
                  My computer was not up to date with SP2. It is now.

I downloaded "SiSoftSandra" and run a diagnostic, should I post the results?

In spite of updating, the mouse continues to misbehave, though it hasn't totally locked up except once immediately after updating.

A fact I forgot to mention up til now. The cursor will commonly freeze up if I lift the mouse up off the mousepad, or move the wire upwards any significant amount. It probably is the mouse itself that is the problem, though I'm not yet completely ready to give up on a solution that doesn't cost money. (I really haven't got money to spend on it.  :-/)

And as for whoever it was (can't remember) that suggested  I had the mouse and keyboard in the wrong ports, no. They're correct. It's even got the little mouse and keyboard pictures above the ports and color coded and everything. Really, give me some credit at least.

GX1_Man

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2005, 08:59:14 PM »
                  If this is all over a bad mouse and you won't spend $1.99 for a new one.........

Fed

• Sage
                    « Reply #30 on: October 28, 2005, 09:03:51 PM »
                    That was me, we once had someone who was asked the same question & he replied the ports were right.
                    Over 50 posts and a week later he confessed they were wrong.

Good to see you took the care to check them, remember, we don't know your skill level.

If wriggling the wire causes a problem then your mouse is shot for sure. You can shorten the lead & re-solder if you have the skills.

GX1_Man

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2005, 09:26:12 PM »

Raptor

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2005, 05:38:56 PM »
                    Why is that mouse free? I want one too!

Fed

• Sage
                      « Reply #33 on: October 29, 2005, 06:21:42 PM »
                      I liked the look of that asian scroller. :)

Raptor

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2005, 06:27:08 PM »
                      I liked the look of that asian scroller. :)

'Xcuse me?

Kotenku

« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2005, 12:13:11 PM »
                      Alright, I still haven't got a new mouse, but I've upgraded to SP2,  and updated and run Ad-aware, getting rid of about 46 adware files I didnt think I had (due to lack of updating.) It seems some time ago I uninstalled Spybot from my computer, not entirely certain why.

I've also cleaned the ball and such of the mouse, and it's running a bit better.

There's only been one incident in the past few days of the mouse freezing. (few days being, since I cleaned it out and updated and all that.)

So, it's back at a tolerable level, but it's been fine before, only to start being an extreme bother a few days later on other occasions too.

GX1_Man

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2005, 03:27:48 PM »
                      Famous last words:

"I don't have Spyware, I use Norton" (or any other singular product)