Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Asus g60jx Video card issue  (Read 3676 times)

molczak714

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Asus g60jx Video card issue
    « on: December 28, 2013, 08:29:57 AM »
    Hi guys i have a asus g60jx. I installed a fresh copy of windows 7 ultimate x64. Now when i do not install video drivers the laptop runs fine without any crashes or issues. I have it well vented and it does not run hot maybe 50c when watching videos and such. I had tried the drivers from asus, i had tried drivers from nvidia. Im at a loss i have no idea what it going on. Can it have something to do with bad thermal paste or a bad hard drive i do feel a bit of heat on the palm rest of the laptop but nothing major

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Asus g60jx Video card issue
    « Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 02:11:57 PM »
    This model has lots of overheating complaints on google. I'd open it up and remove old dried up thermal compound and apply new thermal compound between the GPU and CPU and the heatsinks, and then see if that fixes the issue. Also verify that the fans are not clogged up with lint etc. Hopefully your GPU is not damaged as for I have seen GPU's run fine on windows default drivers, and cause the system to BSOD crash and restart when the GPU has been cooked and using the correct nVidia Driver etc to try to run the full features of the GPU that the windows default driver does not tap into to cause the crash. *Also to note according this this feedback post on newegg it looks like the GPU/graphics adapter can be swapped amoung other MXM cards so if it is cooked you can probably find a good used replacement on ebay for this laptop maybe.

I also see that people bought refurbs of this same model at newegg and one guy even claimed to have to drill holes into the bottom of it as seen here:

Cons:                   Had to drill some holes in the back plate so the fan could actually get some air!

Other Thoughts: This laptop is still a monster even being 3-4 years old. I have owned this laptop since 2010 and couldn't be happier! Woot Woot! Oh and you can also upgrade the graphics to a GTX 260m, but the card has to have come out of a Asus because of the proprietary MXM cards they use for this gen of laptops.
    As found in feedback here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220796