Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC start up automatically after shut down  (Read 9666 times)

Tisch

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
PC start up automatically after shut down
« on: January 18, 2014, 01:59:24 PM »
Hello!

As the Subject says I have a problem shutting my PC down. I built that PC about 1 week ago and the problem is that when I shut the PC down, it start up again after being shutted down for about 1 minute. Does anyone know a possible reason for this?

PC Specs:
i5 4670k
ASUS Z87-PRO
Corsair vengeance pro 1866MHz cl9 8GB
xfx proseries xxx edition 750w
Seagate Barracuda 2 TB
Noctua NH-D14
CoolerMaster Haf X
NZXT RGB LED Controller
2 DVD burners (Don't know the brand)

Thanks in advance,
Tisch

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
Re: PC start up automatically after shut down
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 02:29:35 PM »
What are the power properties in the BIOS set to? This sounds like a BIOS feature is enabled that causes this.

Tisch

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 02:41:22 PM »
Hello!

I don't really know what the settings are and I'm new to UEFI-BIOS. Where in the bios should I look?

Thanks in advance,
Tisch

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 02:49:36 PM »
There should be a POWER OPTIONS or POWER PROPERTIES or POWER page in the BIOS. Enter the BIOS by using the hotkey to enter it for your motherboard. Then navigate in the BIOS and look for this. Then write down the settings displayed and then share them here if you dont understand them and we can specify how to have it configured. Some boards are Delete key, others are Esc or F12 etc. Usually it will show which key to get there on boot of the motherboard unless it is set to a quiet mode to where it doesnt show post info and just a logo and then boot of the OS in which the hotkey is active at the logo screen even though it doesnt display to use the key to get to the BIOS.

Tisch

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 03:37:32 PM »
Hello again

I can't find any power option in the bios.. Maybe you know how to find it? You could google for it (I tried to do that and add some pics to the thread but it didn't work), I use ASUS Z87-pro UEFI-BIOS Version 1707.

Thanks in advance,
Tisch

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 03:53:10 PM »
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/Z87-PRO/E7832_Z87-PRO.pdf

Start on page 119 with APM (Advanced Power Management) check settings to make sure features that wake the system are disabled so that only the power button will boot the system. Its likely to be a "Wake-On" type of trigger that is causing this.  :)

Tisch

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 04:00:44 PM »
I checked the APM settings and everything was already disabled :) Do you know something else that could cause my problem?

Thanks in advance,
Tisch

Tisch

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 04:08:47 PM »
I've also noticed that the wifi/Bluetooth card LEDs is light up even though the PC is shut down if that's to any help, they only shut down if I turn the PSU completely off

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 04:32:52 PM »
Others with same issue: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?35352-ASUS-Z87-Pro-Computer-powers-on-by-itself.-BIOS-Setting

If this system is hard wired with Cat5 or Cat6, I'd disable the wifi and see what happens. There should be an option in the bios to disable it. Otherwise you may need to try a different router that isnt passing a wake-on instruction to devices.

From link above, they shut off the router and the problem went away, but they had difficulty trying to locate the wifi in the bios to disable the wake on wifi.

Tisch

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 04:42:46 PM »
Okay thanks for the help, I read that article earlier today as well :) Since I couldn't find a good answer on how to fix it but still use wifi (if possible) I posted here and I also sent a question to Asus on FB to se if they know how to fix it. Do you know something else I could try or should I wait until Asus answer?

Thanks in advance,
Tisch

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 05:27:25 PM »
Wish I could be of further assistance. Unfortunately I dont own a modern ASUS motherboard with a similar or same BIOS to look at and point out a buried feature to disable/enable etc. The only ASUS's ( 3 of them ) I have are older, and dont have all the bells and whistles of your board.

Hopefully their support can assist you. I had a question that I submitted to them on a brand new laptop I bought back in November and it took 4 days to hear a reply back from a human in addition to the automated reply "Thank You for your submission for help..."

My question was whether I would void the warranty on this laptop if I upgraded from HDD to SSD and the reply back was helpful because not just did they tell me that it 'WOULD VOID" the warranty, but they also provided instructions on how to get to the hard drive that is buried in the laptop requiring it to be split in half to get to the drive.

*So when the warranty is up I will perform the SSD upgrade and until then i will get by with the 500GB HDD that came with it and Windows 8.

Tisch

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 05:38:47 PM »
That sounds great, I'll add a SSD to my PC when I get more money as well :)

Thanks for the help, assistance and for trying to help me :)

I'll wait until they answer to see what they say, and then I'll post here if it got solved or not

And once again, thanks for the help