Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Fast,powerful machine on a budget!?  (Read 3380 times)

darksideken

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Fast,powerful machine on a budget!?
    « on: January 03, 2014, 09:50:37 AM »
    I have included my PC config in the image. My problem is that I bought this machine on the basis of it being a gaming machine (I paid £330). With the RAM and processor I can't really see why I can't play games at least at medium spec (I almost always have to play them at the lowest graphical settings...which sort of sucks) and some games become distorted and won't play at all really... I know different games come with different demands from the machine but it just seems like every game (unless its ancient) seems to have serious problems performance-wise...

GTA4 ran very choppy, slowing right down then running suddenly over the normal speed for a few seconds before slowing down again. The characters in the cut-scenes usually don't have heads either... just eyes and teeth (which admittedly was hilarious but still...)

The other game I had problems with was The Witcher (1 and worse so with 2). Just generally terrible performance and delayed reactions in almost every element of the game.

If any of you out there know how I could improve anything (even if it includes binning the thing lol) then I would be very appreciative. Was I ripped off? The motherboard does not have additional slots to SLI another card, so would a better graphics card be the answer??

Sorry if this type of question is on here somewhere and answered I looked but couldn't see anything related to it really.

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Fast,powerful machine on a budget!?
    « Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 10:05:27 AM »
    Could you please post the full specs of your PC using speccy: http://www.piriform.com/speccy

We also do not support PCs running pirated copies of Windows, while you are upgrading it, buy a legitimate licence for Windows.  I can tell this by the fact you are running Windows 7 Enterprise which is not legally available to end users.  Running a pirated OS can also cause all sorts of problems.  If the machine came with this copy of Windows preinstalled then you have been ripped off and should report the person who sold it to you to Trading Standards.
    « Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 10:53:39 AM by camerongray »

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 11:13:20 AM »
    you [...] should report the person who sold it to you to Trading Standards.[/b]

Or whatever your local consumer protection agency (if you have one) is called if you don't live in Great Britain.

darksideken

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 12:10:56 PM »
      Uuuugh, It's an illegal copy!?

I thought it was a bit cheap considering the OS was already installed... Although the guy didn't give me the serial key or disc...

It was a guy my buddy knows that sold it to me...apparently he dropped it from £500...

Will this OS cause me problems?! Before I confront him about this are you sure it is an illegal copy?

I'm thankful for the help but I don't obviously want to start something on the off-chance that I'm wrong...

The Speccy program thingy is below for consideration

Thanks again

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]

darksideken

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 12:17:26 PM »
        Is there a particular version of windows 7 that is better for gaming or whatever so I know what to look for (or more to the point what I'll be demanding the guy that sold me the machine to install...)

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 12:25:36 PM »
        Tell him you plan on reporting it to MS...he'll probably install anything you want to prevent that from happening.
        If he doesn't he's a fool.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

camerongray

Expert
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 12:26:36 PM »
        Unfortunately it is an illegal copy yeah.  The only way anyone can possibly legally get a copy of Enterprise is through Microsoft's "Home Use Program" which would be provided by a workplace for employee use at home.  Even if he did obtain the copy this way, he cannot legally pass it on to anyone else.

To me the biggest limitation there is probably the graphics card, the CPU is also pretty weak but should be fine for current games.  If you are looking to upgrade your graphics card, you'll need to take a look and check that you have a decent quality power supply - Due to the other issues with the PC, I imagine it's probably a pretty cheap one you may want to replace if you are getting a better graphics card.

That said,  I would first take the PC back and demand a refund instead of asking for a legitimate licence - He'd probably rather do that and then sell the machine to someone else instead of paying the large amount of money for a legitimate licence.  You could then get a new PC that's better for gaming from a more reputable source.

darksideken

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 12:46:04 PM »
          Deary me

Well thanks for all the help everyone (in particular to camerongray)

The guy has an office so I think I'll pop along and see what he has to say on Monday...

I really think I need to research a little more into what the industry standard is (and above) for modern gaming...

Thanks again guys it's much appreciated!

camerongray

Expert
            • Yes
          « Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 12:51:09 PM »
          No problem!  If he is a business then certainly report him to trading standards (I assume you are in the UK as you are using £) no matter if he sorts it out or not - There are far too many dodgy PC people around nowadays so we need to try to stop them!