Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What is a class file for?  (Read 4688 times)

JAJsangel

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Experience: Familiar
    What is a class file for?
    « on: January 08, 2014, 02:14:55 PM »
    I am going through recovered files and trying to figure out if I need these. I tried using a Java decomplier which was JD-Gui. I can't make sense of any of the codes.

Now obviously since they are raw recovered files, they just have numbers for file names. I know lots of programs use Java so I can't even guess what they are for.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: What is a class file for?
    « Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 02:47:59 PM »
    Java decomplier

If the Java is not your code that you are decompiling then this is illegal and we cant help.  :-\

JAJsangel

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 03:04:21 PM »
      Oh you mean illegal as in computer terms I'm guessing? Well I can see a code and it looks perfectly normal. I just don't know what it is.
      « Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 03:26:16 PM by JAJsangel »

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
        • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
      « Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 03:33:55 PM »
      Oh you mean illegal as in computer terms I'm guessing? Well I can see a code and it looks perfectly normal. I just don't know what it is.

Illegal in law terms.  If a program is open source, you can download the source code directly from its website.  If a program does not have this meaning you have to decompile it, it is "closed source" which likely goes against the program's licence agreement.

What program is this that you are decompiling?

JAJsangel

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 03:41:47 PM »
        I wasn't decompiling any program, just a bunch of random files from when I took my computer to be recovered to figure out if they were useful but I deleted them because apparently class files are just for developers. I wish someone had told me that earlier.

What you say kinda makes sense. I guess I've never really given any thought to Java and what it is.
        « Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 03:53:36 PM by JAJsangel »

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 07:48:48 PM »
        I tried using a Java decomplier which was JD-Gui.

then

I wasn't decompiling any program, just a bunch of random files from when I took my computer to be recovered to figure out if they were useful but I deleted them because apparently class files are just for developers.

I'd throw away that decompiler and save the files on a thumb drive or disc in case you ever need them again to refer back to.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 08:10:03 PM »
        I am going through recovered files and trying to figure out if I need these. I tried using a Java decomplier which was JD-Gui. I can't make sense of any of the codes.

Now obviously since they are raw recovered files, they just have numbers for file names. I know lots of programs use Java so I can't even guess what they are for.

When you compile a Java program, it creates .class files. These get used by websites and games to run the program or applet.

If they were part of files that were recovered I would guess they were temporary .class files that were stored by the browser to run applets. The browser will save them and run them from a temporary location, and those will be with your temporary internet files.

if I were to guess, I would say this is what those files are for. You seldom find .class files loose in the file system except those that are from your Browser's temporary folder.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.