Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: First PC build, Wont Pass POST, Turns off after 2 seconds  (Read 4121 times)

mr932

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
    First PC build, Wont Pass POST, Turns off after 2 seconds
    « on: January 05, 2014, 01:30:05 AM »
    So I spend a little more then an hour in the chat trying many thing's with baconbuttie, Thanks goes to him for helping.

So This is my first PC build, I've reconnected everything 3 times now, Same issue. I don't think it's a error in my connections.

So basicly this is what happens, I hit the power button I see the ASUS splash screen, and shutdowns after 2-4 seconds. Sometimes It will last a little bit longer and I will be able to get into BIOS this is like 1/10 time the PC boots that I can get into BIOS.

Here's a little bit of a worry some thing, In BIOS, when I actually can get in it, Shows the CPU Term, Within 1 min it goes from ~40C to ~62C. within 10 mins hit ~71C Note this is just at the BIOS.

Another thing which I think could be causing this issue is CPU Overheating, and it autoshutdown. Alright I maybe overracting to it, I've never used an eight core CPU.

Here's the thing, If I leave the PC off for 20 min's to cool down I can get into BIOS with an issue because it hit's the second splash screen where I can hit f2 to get into BIOS. 

I've already tried
    Resetting the CMOS/BIOS
    setting ram once more
    Running Bare MIn, No drives, 1 stick of ram etc

Case: NZXT Guardian 921 RB ATX Mid Tower Case, Black 921RB-001-BL
    MOBO: ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD
    PSU: Thermaltake Power Supply 240-Pin 530 Power Supply SP-530P
    CPU: AMD FD8350FRHKBOX FX-8350 FX-Series 8-Core Black Edition
    RAM: ADATA USA XPG V1.0 OC Series 16GB DDR3 1600MHZ PC3 12800 8GBx2, Dark Blue AX3U1600W8G11-DD
    GPU: EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1 GB DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 DVI/HDMI/VGA Graphics Card, 01G-P3-1302-LR

Salmon Trout

Re: First PC build, Wont Pass POST, Turns off after 2 seconds
    « Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 03:18:53 AM »
    Have you checked thoroughly that there is the right kind of heatsink compound on the CPU, that the heatsink is mounted properly, that the fan is connected and revolving?

mr932

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 09:40:24 AM »
      Yes, Fan is connect with heat sink, Paste is stock I didn't add any because it was added in already by the manufacturer.

Update: I left it off overnight, I turned it on this morning and it booted into a c   

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 10:57:27 AM »
      I turned it on this morning and it booted into a c

Not sure what you mean by that.

mr932

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 02:21:48 PM »
        Don't know what happen there, I typed my full post but didn't post I guess.

I meant to say I booted to a CD. Installed windows and alls good. Kinda...

I found my issue, It was my CPU that was over heating. I may have messed up the thermal paste when I was installing the heatsink. So I'll be buying a new heat sink for my AMD3+ socket. Taking any suggesting.

Actually typed this from new PC Build :) Just having over heating issues.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 03:57:42 PM »
        So I'll be buying a new heat sink for my AMD3+ socket.

Why?

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 06:30:42 PM »
        Why?

Agreed...
        All you need to do with that cooler is re-do the thermal paste and it should be fine...

See Here...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

mr932

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 01:01:29 PM »
          I was also planning on overclocking, a little. Bought Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO for my processor. I thought might as well upgrade the heat sink.