Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Getting pop up box "Internet Explorer has stopped working"  (Read 3042 times)

wolfman

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Getting pop up box "Internet Explorer has stopped working"
    « on: January 06, 2014, 01:12:34 PM »
    I seem to be getting this more often, especially when watching You Tube technical videos. It's a pain because, the program completely closes. I usually don't have any other programs running. It's a AMD II processor and I recently upgraded the memory from 8GB to 12GB, the max is 16. Why am I getting this? What can I do to fix it? I run CC Cleaner weekly. IE 7. Thanks

mimig

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
      Re: Getting pop up box "Internet Explorer has stopped working"
      « Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 02:35:23 PM »
      There are a variety of reasons as to why Internet Explorer stops working. It could be from having too many tabs open, trying to run too many programs at once (although with more RAM this shouldn't be causing the issue), malware, a memory-draining add-on, a virus, or a corrupted file that Internet Explorer is trying to access. There is also the fact that Internet Explorer has a reputation of being sluggish and slow as well as just quitting for unexplained reasons.

IE7 is a slightly older version of Internet Explorer (with the most up to date version being IE10 with IE11 coming out soon), so websites, such as youtube, may take more time on an older version of the browser.

Some possible suggestions are updating to a higher version of Internet Explorer (I highly recommend looking into what changes are in each version before you do this) and trying a different browser. Both Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome are excellent choices. If you have certain add-ons or extensions on your browser, there is usually similar ones available for Firefox and Chrome. A few others that may or may not be better include Safari and Opera.

You could also try running your anti-virus or download & run Malwarebytes just to make sure nothing else is going wrong.