Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer not booting  (Read 3721 times)

DavidM1999

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Computer not booting
    « on: January 15, 2014, 12:39:19 PM »
    Hi, my computer isn't booting, I, have had to fix it a couple of times before but this time there's something seriously wrong, all of a sudden one day it wouldn't boot, I now know the registry is corrupted and sadly I have no restore points, since nothing important was on I decided to re-install vista - but now I cannot because for some reason I cannot, it tries to fix the error but never does. Please help - urgent!!!

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Computer not booting
    « Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 12:54:52 PM »
    Hi David,

You say that there has been other times that the computer hasn't booted. All of what you say points me to a failing hard drive. Do you feel comfortable diagnosing that or should you have it checked by a tech.

As you don't need anything from the drive.

I would run Seagates disk diagnostics from here
    http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/

Even if the drive isn't a Seagate it will diagnose it just won't repair errors.
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

DavidM1999

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 01:19:18 PM »
      That would explain a lot as the computer is almost seven years old, how can I run this from a computer that cannot boot though?

DavidM1999

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 01:27:24 PM »
        I understand now, sadly I dont currently have a second pc to do this, could I use a large usb storage device as my new main hard drive?

Lisa_maree

Mentor
        • My first real computer
          • Yes
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 01:54:44 PM »
        The Seagate diagnostics is a self booting CD so doesn't need a computer to boot from the hard drive.

Windows won't boot from and run from a USB drive in the version supplied by Microsoft.

If you want to transfer files off the harddrive and use the computer on the internet then you could get a copy or download a copy of puppy linux.

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

Or if your local library subscribes to computer magazines often they have cover dvd's with bootable Linux versions.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
        ― John Bunyan

DavidM1999

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 02:29:14 PM »
          Thanks for your help, I have decided just to replace the hard drive and try and find some old vista installation disks!

soybean

Genius
          • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 08:09:36 AM »
          If you can't find your installation discs, contact the manufacturer.  They may offer the discs and they won't cost nearly has much as buying Windows at retail price.  The manufacturer will need the model # and a serial # from your computer.