Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help with bootcamp  (Read 3305 times)

motomarz

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Help with bootcamp
    « on: January 15, 2014, 04:22:15 PM »
    I have a mac osx version 10.9.1 running a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 4 gb of memory. I am a gamer and unfortunately I can't have the option to run pc games on a mac, or can I xD. I can with bootcamp and I am about to buy a windows 7 installer disc 64x64 professional. I will obviously still use the mac and windows function, windows only for gaming, mac for other games I can run on my mac. If I install windows do I need to buy/install antivirus or spyware programs to protect my computer? Normally a mac doesn't need it but if I get windows will I need it?

Thanks
                                -Ethan

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Help with bootcamp
    « Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 05:13:16 PM »
    This is not a direct answer. You have a very good machine. You are willing to spend some time and money to make it more versatile. Please allow me a comment.

Presently I don't have a MAC. Wish I did. I have three or four PCs and a laptop. Plus an iPhone  4 and two androids.

When I mean to say is one can have have a bunch  of stuff and still wish for more. And trying to upgrade a machine can be a Cul-de-sac.

IMO you may do better to ask your  friends or family if any have a PC they want to donate or sell for a few dollars.
    Used PCs are cheap. People dump them. Bit an old MAC  will never die. However, the upgrade path to Windows 7 is not so good .
    It has been mentioned before, a Intel Pentium D will run 64 bit Windows 7. You can find refurbished Dell PCs with Windows 7 64 bit installed for about $140. No monitor or keyboard. In the USA they are even found in retail stores like Wallchart.
    Also, Amazon and Newegg.
    Yeah, I am saying is get a used PC with a warranty. Now it is a buyer's market our there. Avoid Windows 8. You  don't want it. ;D

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    « Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 05:55:38 PM »
    I have a mac osx version 10.9.1 running a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 4 gb of memory. I am a gamer and unfortunately I can't have the option to run pc games on a mac, or can I xD. I can with bootcamp and I am about to buy a windows 7 installer disc 64x64 professional. I will obviously still use the mac and windows function, windows only for gaming, mac for other games I can run on my mac. If I install windows do I need to buy/install antivirus or spyware programs to protect my computer? Normally a mac doesn't need it but if I get windows will I need it?

Thanks
                                -Ethan

You certainly can use Bootcamp like that and yes, you will need antivirus under Windows as you will effectively have a Windows laptop.  That said, there is no need to pay for Windows antivirus - There are plenty of very good free antivirus programs such as Avast and Microsoft Security Essentials.

However, bear in mind that you probably don't have a very powerful graphics card in your Mac so it may not run games that well.

motomarz

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 05:59:38 PM »
      Thanks Cameron, if I can't run the games well i'll get a better graphics card and thanks for answering my question :) Geek on the other hand *cough *cough you didn't answer the question, I asked if I need to get antivirus and you said get a pc forget that man im getting some antivirus

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
        • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
      « Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 06:11:55 PM »
      Thanks Cameron, if I can't run the games well i'll get a better graphics card and thanks for answering my question :)

No problem, but bear in mind that you can't upgrade a graphics card on most Macs - The only exception is the previous generations of Mac Pro.  So if you can't run it now, then you won't be able to in the future.

Personally what I would try is to download and install Windows 7 from here: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/14709-Windows-7-Digital-River-direct-links-Multiple-Languages-X86-amp-X64/page60.  Install it without entering a key - This will give you 30 days to try it out and see if it will run the games you want.  If it does not work then you can simply remove it and if it does you can then buy a copy of Windows and enter the included key to activate your existing Windows installation.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 09:02:43 PM »
      camerongray has given the reason I raked about an alternative. It is hard to find a graphics card for a MAC  running Windows.

You can get a cheap used tower PC that will work with many good graphics cards. And they include Windows 7 64 bit with drivers already installed.

Even with Boot Camp, it is harder than t it looks. Not my opinion. That is what experts  say. But if you are in love Boot Camp, go ahead. Have fun! I thought you wanted to play a Windows game and get  fun from that.
      Sorry if I mus understood.

Please post back in a month or so and let us know how long it took.

:)