Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Power/Motherboard Problem  (Read 3734 times)

Albe

Power/Motherboard Problem
« on: October 19, 2005, 02:12:26 PM »
Have problem with booting up without rechargeable wireless optical mouse ("I.T. Works") installed in recharging cradle attached to PS/2 mouse port.  Any other mouse connected to P/S2 port or a USB mouse connected to USB port will not enable boot up either.

Had similar problem previously which led to new Asus A7v400-MX SE motherboard which worked with above wireless mouse for about 1 month until problem showed up again.

Can't detect PS/2 mouse port in BIOS to disable nor can I  disable PS/2 mouse port in Device Manager.

Am running Windows X/P; SP2 using AMD Athlon X/P 2.13 gigahertz.

Is this likely to be another MOBO failure or a power supply problem?

Have looked inside case & everything appears normal.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks

GX1_Man

Re: Power/Motherboard Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 02:15:42 PM »
Somestime power supply problems can cause motherborad problems. What exactly happened to the old one?

Albe

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 04:18:11 AM »
The old power supply was used in the new motherboard.  It does seem to be working OK though.

pcwizard

Hopeful

• A computer is for life, not just gaming!!
    « Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 04:40:04 AM »
    Are you getting any error messages?
    How far does the boot sequence go?

You dont have a printer with memory card, switched on when booting up by any chance?
    A computer is for life....not just gaming!!

Albe

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005, 10:19:23 AM »
    No error messages because Boot sequence doesn't start at all unless/until wireless optical mouse is placed into charging cradle attached to PS/2 port.  At this stage, things work.  I do experience premature shut down sometimes once system is up and running and I begin to use wireless mouse.

And no, I don't have a printer with memory card, switched on when booting up (I have a lexmark X75).

Another factor is that I sometimes get randomised front panel lighting effects.  By this I mean the HD light together with the illuminated on/off switch and the power on light flicker in random sequence, but nothing else happens.  This can occur when I turn off the PC but don't immediately return the wireless mouse to its cradle before shutdown has completed.

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 04:15:09 PM »
    boot pc........without the mouse.....recheck bios screen start up options.....hold down the del key on boot......chose defaults from the onscreen list.....

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005, 07:24:38 PM »
    Can you change the channel on that mouse ? ?
    My Logitech has 8 or so channels.
    Are you using any other infrared devices on that system i.e.
    a Palm syncying tool etc.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Albe

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2005, 05:03:25 AM »
    Can't boot PC without rechargeable cradle attached to PS/2 port and mouse installed in cradle - no power!  However, all three keyboard indicators lit for "Num Lock", Caps Lock" and "Scroll Lock" when I try to boot with mouse out of cradle.

Have previously been through restoring BIOS default route, but no improvement.

No, I can't change channel on wireless mouse - its a low cost version.  Also, I don't have any other infra red devices attached.

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2005, 07:16:04 AM »
    What happens if you use a normal keyboard and mouse and forget about those two wireless things you have? I guess my question is: Is it worth this?  :'( :'( :'( :'(

Albe

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2005, 08:45:58 AM »
    I agree, the point is I can't boot up at all with a normal PS/2 or USB mouse attached (or not attached for that matter.  The keyboard isn't wireless, by the way).  I would very much like to keep matters simple and not use the wireless mouse but I can't boot without it in its cradle and attached to the PS/2 port.  Frustrating or wot?

Thanks for sticking with me!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #10 on: October 23, 2005, 12:02:41 PM »
    Try this...

Go to Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager and find the listing for the mouse.
    Right Click on it and select remove. This will produce an error message.Ignore it.
    Now power down and disconnect the wireless mouse. Connect a normal PS2 mouse and re-boot. Windows will automatically load drivers for it and you should be good to go.

More and more this is sounding like a driver issue.

patio.  8)
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Albe

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2005, 10:56:52 AM »
    Hi guys,

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions.  I have fixed the problem now - installed a new andd uprated PSU and everything is running fine.

GX1_Man

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2005, 01:09:28 PM »
    As suggested in the first reply 5 days ago!

Feel free to drop by any thime.
    « Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 01:09:49 PM by GX1_Man »