Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Motherboard do not initialise Graphic card?  (Read 5513 times)

frenchyinpaddyland

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Motherboard do not initialise Graphic card?
« on: January 17, 2014, 11:12:23 AM »
well I want to play call of duty ghost but my card ( Nvidia TG 9800 green edition ) is not powerfull enough (dixit Nvidia GeForce experience panel..) so I bought a GTX 770 but once in the pc would not go beyond the " asus logo at the start ..could not even enter bios by pressing " delete ..thought the card was faulty ..sent it back for another
 one ...same thing happen ..was told by " ASUS" that it was not compatible with my mobo .. so I got a GTX 660 but the same thing happen ..after some research I got an answer saying that the motherboard was not initialising the card and I better get an AMD card as they would definitely work with my mobo so I am waiting for an AMD Radeon R9 290X......my motherboard is an M3N-HT-Delixe , I have 8GB memory and a Quad core AMD Phenom..
 what I would like to know is how to find out why the motherboard is not initialising the card, is my motherboard faulty ( it works perfect with the GT 9800green edition )...do you have any solution for me ...ANY HELP WOULD SO MUCH APPRICIATED
 thank you all very much

Additional Details

well the PSU is 1000watt so i don't think it is coming from there

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
 Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 9650 Quad-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 2 Stepping 3
 Processor Count: 4
 RAM: 8190 Mb
 Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT, 512 Mb
 Hard Drives: C: Total - 953767 MB, Free - 467801 MB; D: Total - 99 MB, Free - 69 MB; E: Total - 476937 MB, Free - 138652 MB; H: Total - 99 MB, Free - 66 MB; I: Total - 476837 MB, Free - 176318 MB;
 Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., M3N-HT DELUXE
 Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Motherboard do not initialise Graphic card?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 01:57:41 PM »
What make and model of power supply are you using?  I'd bet on the PSU being at fault here, compatibility issues between graphics cards and motherboards are possible but pretty rare.  Using an AMD or Nvidia card should make no difference.
Also, a 290X would be wasted on your system as your CPU will severely bottleneck it - if I were you, I would consider a CPU upgrade as a priority, the first gen Phenoms were not great in terms of performance.  An Athlon II X4, Phenom II X4 or even a Phenom II X6 would help considerably.  You can find a list of the CPUs your board supports here on the Asus website along with what BIOS revision is needed to support them.  Something like a 7870/R9 270 along with a better CPU would make for a better performing and more balanced system than your 9650 with a 290X.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 03:55:08 PM »
All the research i did mentioned nothing about either of those card series ahving issues with that MBoard...
Calum might be on to something here...i just find it strange that the folks at ASUS would state that.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Lisa_maree

Mentor
  • My first real computer
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 07:06:31 PM »
If you use the working card and reset the bios to defaults , use the pcie slot nearest the CPU the motherboard will work with any card. You need to have the onboard graphics disabled to get the nvidia cards to work so check that in the bios before swapping the cards.

The manual for you board is available here encase you have lost it and covers all this if you search on PCIE

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M3NHT_DeluxeMempipe/#support

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
― John Bunyan

homer99

Greenhorn

• Experience: Guru
    « Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 10:44:53 AM »
    I think your power supply is too weak. maybe you need to buy a better psu.

frenchyinpaddyland

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Yes
    « Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 01:19:44 PM »
    s thanks to all for your answers and help ..so here some answer to the question you asked
    1) my PSU is 100watts   brand : Hi Power Plus model No : HP--G14C... I don't think it is the problem as when the new card went in it was power properly ...the green light came on each time on the graphic card
    2) about disabling the on-board graphic card ...the asus tech chat person said the same thing but there I need more help ..looked in the manual but could not find anything ..unless I am blind ...so if you have a page number it would help me a lot
    3) after sending back to the supplier a GTX 780 then a GTX 660 I am waiting for this AMD card..so I will have to try it before even thinking changing my CPU ..so here also I need some advice ..moving from Nviida to Amd....what need to be uninstall and what can be kept ..my internet connection which use cable Ethernet ..is done through Nvidia ForceWare Network access.. if this one goes   how will I get connected to the internet ?
    at the moment everything is working fine as I have my "old card " the GT 9800 back in..can play my game ( battlefield4/3...all medal of honour/ all call of duty up to the last one ghost ...)
    so if you could help with that on board graphic disabling thing and the set up to follow to move from Nvidia to AMD ... I will let you know how it went on ..then if we have still problem we can look for the possibility of a new CPU
    thank for all you help..waiting to hear from you all

frenchyinpaddyland

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Yes
    « Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 02:38:22 PM »
    sorry but I was looking around for CPU just in case and I have difficulties to find AMD Athlon  II X4, Phenom II X4 or even  Phenom II X6 ...the only one I can find are  ;
    AMD FX - AMD A series  /A4/A6/A8/A10....- AMD APU  A4/A6/A8/A10 amd only one Athlon II X4.....are they so old that they cannot be found ? or do they have other name ?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 03:49:24 PM »
    That MBoard will only accept certain chips...
    I think this is a classic case of asking the hardware to do what it wasn't designed for...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    « Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 05:42:15 PM »
    Hi

The enable and set up of the on board video is on page 4-25 of your manual. But as you are getting a Nvidia card now you won't need to do any changes there.
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 08:00:21 PM »
    sorry but I was looking around for CPU just in case and I have difficulties to find AMD Athlon  II X4, Phenom II X4 or even  Phenom II X6 ...the only one I can find are  ;
    AMD FX - AMD A series  /A4/A6/A8/A10....- AMD APU  A4/A6/A8/A10 amd only one Athlon II X4.....are they so old that they cannot be found ? or do they have other name ?

Your CPU is Socket AM2+ and this has been obsolete for a few years now. Socket AM3 is just about completely phased out as well and Socket AM3+ will be next however the popularity of the AM3+ 6 and 8 core CPU's may keep it around for a while.

I upgraded to a base model AM3+ motherboard and am waiting for the price to come down on the AMD FX-8350 8 core. The good thing is that my socket AM3 Athlon II x4 620 2.6Ghz quadcore was able to be installed to this build until I could get the better CPU for it.

Might be time to look at a new motherboard that is AM3+ if you want to stick with AMD. I dont care for the APUs that they have so I avoid the other sockets.

frenchyinpaddyland

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Yes
    « Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 05:42:30 AM »
    Hi Lisa_maree....got what you said but the new card I am getting is an AMD card ( radeon R9 290X) so do I still have to go to the page 4-25 of the manual to figure out about disabling the on board graphic ?????? sorry for all those question ....and thanks for the help

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 11:25:41 AM »
    I suspect your PSU may be on its way out.  If you can, borrow a known good unit to test the system with.

Regarding your CPU, as Dave says the Athlon and Phenom II lines are all EOL and have been for some time.  They would however still give you much, much better performance than your current CPU.  If you do look into changing your motherboard to support a newer/faster CPU, don't stick with AMD, go for an Intel board, and an i5, as they're far superior in terms of performance, especially in gaming.

frenchyinpaddyland

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Yes
    « Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 06:14:46 AM »
    HOP SWEET VICTORY....I finally got the radeon R9 290X and not a problem this time to install it ..everything working fine ...wonder why those 3 NVidia card did not work ....they could not have been faulty 3 times !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    anyway now I am back in "business"...thanks all for your help

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 11:37:27 PM »
    Good to hear   8)